Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charging current is reduceddue to high temperature detected in the vehicle connector."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
With my UMC, I am getting flashing green lights "T-E-S-L-A" with a red "T" after the streaming lights. I looked at the UMC manual and this says "high temperature in the vehicle connector".

It suggests a cooler area, but right now the temperature outside is -6 C, 21 F. The charge connector is not hot to the touch, and it I noticed it when plugging in (car made a small noise, but didn't say anything).

So this is I guess a faulty temperature sensor on the UMC... anything that can be done? Just wait maybe?

We've had a 50 degree fluctuation in temperatures the past week. Freezing to warm, and back.

I'm thinking its not damaged, but was subject to extreme weather and possibly salt. Something was interfering w/ temperature sensor.

Tried it this morning after defrosting and it is working again.
That's an indication that it was a bad connection. And yes, contaminated water in the socket can cause it. Did you get any water in the socket?
Could have been as easy of a solution as plugging and unplugging.
I highly doubt it was a sensor issue.

That's an indication that it was a bad connection. And yes, contaminated water in the socket can cause it. Did you get any water in the socket?
Could have been as easy of a solution as plugging and unplugging.
I highly doubt it was a sensor issue.

Sensor issue due to water/ice is what I mean. I heard the *** notification (no message on the car however) from the car twice, checked on the second so didn't bother plugging unplugging.

There was very extreme weather.

Sensor issue due to water/ice is what I mean. I heard the *** notification (no message on the car however) from the car twice, checked on the second so didn't bother plugging unplugging.

There was very extreme weather.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the sensor was correctly detecting the condition, which was a marginal connection caused by containments. It's really easy for the connectors to get dirty. They actually have built in wipers to try to keep them clean. The sensor is normally a pretty simple thing.

After taking it inside, the red lights finally went away. However, when plugging it back in to the car, nothing happens. The car does not acknowledge that it has been plugged in and no lights on the unit.

I'm guessing either it is fried or will work again after more time inside.

Do I need to go to the service center to get them to exchange it?