Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Charging Curve) Realistically, how long can I sustain 250kW for a 2022 MY made in Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems, based on my recent road trip of supercharging from <20%, it can only sustain 250kw for 2% before tapering off, even when starting all the way low at 7%.
For example here are some data points:

• Exhibit 1 - Starting at 7%: Peaked at 250KW until 10% before tapering off
  • Exhibit 2 - Started at 17%, peaked at 250kW until 20% before tapering off
  • Exhibit 3 - started at 16%, peaked at 250kw until 18% before tapering off
I know there's argument about being too cold, not preconditioning enough, etc but assuming I could reach 250kw for 1-2% that means it must be warm enough to handle the charge right? What's others' experience? Are you able to sustain 250kw when starting <10% until 20%?

Exhibit 1 -
1651652867454.png

Exhibit 2 -
1651652905747.png

Exhibit 3 -
1651652963655.png

Did you precondition on route to the Supercharger? You need to use the Navigation system to initiate preconditioning for Supercharging. It is important that the battery be fully preconditioned for Supercharging to be able to achieve the maximum charging rate. What was the temperature of the battery pack? A high battery temperature (~115F) and a very low battery state of charge are required to achieve maximum Supercharging. Even then the current Tesla Model Y, Model 3 vehicles with the 2170 battery cells can only charge at the current maximum V3 Supercharger charging rate (~250kW) for just ~6 minutes before the charging rate starts to taper down.

Last edited:
Did you precondition on route to the Supercharger? You need to use the Navigation system to initiate preconditioning for Supercharging. It is important that the battery be fully preconditioned for Supercharging to be able to achieve the maximum charging rate. What was the temperature of the battery pack? A high battery temperature (~115F) and a very low battery state of charge are required to achieve maximum Supercharging. Even then the current Tesla Model Y, Model 3 vehicles with the 2170 battery cells can only charge at the current maximum V3 Supercharger charging rate (~250kW) for just ~6 minutes before the charging rate starts to taper down.
Yes, of course I precondition. Charging for just 1-2% is like <1 minute. I expected the ~6 minutes or so as you mentioned

Nope I think that's ODB2 connection only information and not through API. Would it be safe to assume if it CAN hit 250kw for 1-2% that it's hot enough to sustain a longer charge? I just know that I was driving for >2 hours in >70F weather before hitting the supercharger 250kW at kettleman city
You had entered the Kettleman SC as your destination in the Nav system, correct?

If you look at the curve someone posted, 250kW can only be sustained up to 21% SOC, assuming your battery temperature is high enough. It's not a matter of how long it can be sustained, the car will not request that much power past 21-22% SOC.

With that said, there are other things that influence the power. The chargers are sharing a cabinet, the maximum power from the grid cannot sustain 4 cars at 250kW... It's possible that in your first test something other than your car reduced the power.

Doesn't battery preconditioning stop if your SOC goes below 20%? I thought it did, like sentry mode and cabin overheat protection. If so, by arriving at very low SOC you negate the benefits of battery preconditioning and will only get maximum charging speeds at low SOC in summer when you don't need battery preconditioning.

Keith

Reactions: Lightbulb