Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging [DC kWh] discrepancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the kWh per charge shown in my BP chargemaster app is different (higher) than that shown in Teslamate. Anyone else notice this?

I am assuming that Teslamate is getting he data from Tesla so it is what the car is registering but where is the kWh being lost?

I have noticed that the kWh per charge shown in my BP chargemaster app is different (higher) than that shown in Teslamate. Anyone else notice this?

I am assuming that Teslamate is getting he data from Tesla so it is what the car is registering but where is the kWh being lost?
Teslamate may be reporting energy added to the battery. The Chargemaster measures electricity consumed.

The gap is energy lost in the car’s charger converting AC into high voltage DC, car electronics, possibly energy used to heat the battery, and energy lost in the battery as the DC current drives the chemical reactions that store the energy.

Reactions: jmaddr

There is no recognised billing standard for DC charging. You are probably being billed for the total AC consumed. There are losses in the conversion from AC to DC. It always strikes me as a little bizarre that there is no incentive for the charger manufacturers to use efficient transformers.

Most suppliers charge you for the AC that the charger consumes, not the energy that is added to the battery. A DC charger won't achieve 100% efficiency and the car's onboard chargers don't either, if you're charging using type2, rather than CCS.

The car will also consume power whilst charging, especially if you're sat in it watching netflix etc. whilst you charge.