Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging + Driving tips for those living in a valley? High usage for the first 10 kms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We live in a bit of a valley and for my daily driving to work, I have to take the motorway in about 1 km after unplugging which is a bit of an uphill road for about 10 kms. The car has an extremely high kwh usage of around 400-450wh/km for that period of time and there seems no way we can reduce it, unless we have driven a while after charging on flat roads.

Are there any tips to reduce the wh/km? Something related to charging or such or should we just ignore this?

Plus, does this mean any long term concerns on battery degradation?

Cheers!

It seems strange, but depending on where I have last charged, it seems my average wh/ km for that charge session will vary. For instance if I fill up at home, I have a steep hill straight out of my driveway. I cannot seem to get my average down below 220. If I charge up fully at my place of work, where it is level and downhill all the way home, my average is often 200. If I supercharge ( close to home), it is somewhere in between. The driving I do is all on the same relative routes, so you would expect it all to average out about the same, but it doesn't.

Not to worry. I've got the same sort of situation when I leave my house: it's uphill for a mile or two in most directions. I often see an average of 700-800 Wh/mi as I crest the hill; by the time I return home along the same route, my average has dropped to around 300 Wh/mi, which is my summertime average. It's no different when I leave the house in the one direction that travels downhill: I see great consumption numbers to start with but by the time I return home, consumption for the trip is back up to right around the long-term average.

Your uphill average discharge rate of 400-450 Wh/km is very low compared to a rate that might stress the battery pack; I'd just not spend any time worrying about it.