Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging equipment connection lost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 model S 85 that I charge at home with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. No charging problems ever. A few weeks ago the car would not charge. When charging started the volts would ramp up to 240, then the amps would go up to 1 or 2, then go back down to zero, and an error message would pop up saying "Charging equipment connection lost". I tried a different cord and it still didn't work. Took it down the street to a friend's house who has a tesla wall charger. Got the same error on his charger. Tried to connect to a regular outlet in my house, still no dice.
I took the car to service assuming my on board charger was done, and they gave me a loaner with its own cord. Loaner charged fine on my 14-50 outlet.
Service calls me and says my car is charging fine with my cord and their cord? Seems odd but I take the car home and it charges fine for 2 weeks. But now today it says "Charging equipment connection lost" and won't charge again. Any ideas of what the heck is going on here???

R u sure your CB is good? Not getting hot? Cord not warm? Or plug not warm. I bought gen 2 cord. It has same problem. Very weird. I went back to gen 1, ok.
I was at buddies house last week. Plugged into his 14.50, it went to 40amps, got really hot. I got in car and dialed it down to 30amps. Cooled off.
How old is your 12v battery? I couldn't super charge last year. 12v battery was bad.

since you have tried with different wall connectors and it wont work i suggest trying a HPWC, go to a destination charger and plug in and see what happens. If it continues to not work it could be your charge port or your charger.

Take it to a supercharger since those bypass the onboard charger and go straight to the battery, does it work? if not then I'd venture to guess its the charge port thats bad and that is about $600 or so plus install or somewhere in that area. If it works fine then its likely your onboard charger and that damn thing is expensive. you can buy ones off salvaged cars for a lot less than from tesla but who knows the amount of life left in one of those. But i can only suggest that you get a firm solid diag of what specific part is broken before you start throwing parts at it.

I tried it at a destination charger and received the same error message. Tried it at a supercharger and it worked fine. Only possible explanation is the onboard charger. Weird that it failed, then worked for a couple weeks, then failed again. At this point I can't trust it so I am just having it replaced, as painful as that is to the wallet.

I tried it at a destination charger and received the same error message. Tried it at a supercharger and it worked fine. Only possible explanation is the onboard charger. Weird that it failed, then worked for a couple weeks, then failed again. At this point I can't trust it so I am just having it replaced, as painful as that is to the wallet.
Was that not under warranty? I think I have the same issue.