Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charging equipment not recognized" but car charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The day after a major thunderstorm, I went to drive my Tesla 3 2021. It is powered in my garage with a mobile connector and an NEMI 14-50 power source. There was some hesitation in removing the adapter, but it did come out and the port closed. I got into the car and saw "charging equipment not recognized" (see attached), "unable to drive", active alerts: CP a004. It also said the port was still open and I had to click to say it was closed. My car did charge and I was able to drive though the warning stayed. When I got home, I tried a soft reset twice with no change. The mobile connector was "all green" but it would not open the port. When I plugged it in, it did charge the car and the screen showed it charging. I had a spare mobile connector never used and switched to it. It was recognized and charged the car but this AM the same thing happened and when I got in the car a new warning on "charging equipment not recognized". I put in a service appointment, but it will be a couple of weeks. Any suggestions? Is it the mobile connector or a car issue. Anything I can try? Thanks.

Attachments

• 83A424E0-25A9-4288-8E23-607ECCDBBA92.JPG
    83A424E0-25A9-4288-8E23-607ECCDBBA92.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 557
  • 7FE85502-8652-4B44-91FB-4D83195A5B97.JPG
    7FE85502-8652-4B44-91FB-4D83195A5B97.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 7A34A237-D61E-48EB-9645-ED54D8BD4813.JPG
    7A34A237-D61E-48EB-9645-ED54D8BD4813.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 288
Same thing happened to my 2021 LR AWD Model 3 last Saturday after picking it up on Friday from service for another issue previously. I drove my car back to service the next day and they took it in for service and gave me a loaner. I got an email and a message in my app that the cars charge port was bad and they ordered a new charge port and it should be ready for pickup today or tomorrow. You might want to drive it over to your service center unless your car still charges and your comfortable with that. My car charged up the night before the incident but it would not let me remove the mobile charging cable. I had to manually realese it before driving it to the service center.

@WheezeMD SAME THING! Car was plugged in during a severe thunderstorm and the next day when I removed the charger it gave me a little trouble but came out fine. Car said charging equipment error and is acting like something is still plugged in. My mobile connector went bad as well, the T was red and ESLA was green. I carry one with me and tried it, it worked fine but i still get the error, i think my mobile connector cable and charge port are the vehicle were both damaged. Still charging every night, just have to hit the extra button saying the charger is not connected. I also scheduled a service appointment (mobile, since dealership is 2 hours away) and it is a couple weeks out. Please update thread if you figure anything out and I will do the same. Thanks!

My guy came today. He replaced the charge door and that didnt work, then he reapplied the latest update. Reschedule for two weeks out saying he needs a part he didnt have... The EDU or EDC, i cant remember because he just said it real fast... He did exchange my bad mobile connector as well as fix my seatbelt recall. Also, if you want to leave a note in your app about the appointment, he said the EDC/EDU/ECU (maybe that was it, Electronic Control Unit) whatever it was called was behind the charging port. Hope this helps...

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin