Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Equipment of the World -- Map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
As a followup to Ports & Plugs of the World Compared, this map indicates predominant types of on-the-road charging-equipment available to Tesla vehicles (as of November 2021) in major Tesla sales regions:

World Map of EV Charge Options

(Modified from material at interchargers.com.)
Notes
  • China
    • (Originally similar to Europe) Current Tesla vehicles (are now required to) have GB/T (National Standard) AC and DC ports
    • GB/T (National Standard) charging equipment is standard (no adapter is required)
    • GB/T-to-Type 2 adapters available for older Tesla cars
  • Japan
    • Similar to North America and South Korea except for its focus on (Japan-developed) CHAdeMO DC fast charging.
    • Tesla vehicles have Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) ports
    • Tesla Superchargers have TPC cable-plugs
    • J1772 charging equipment requires J1772-to-TPC adapter
    • CHAdeMO charging stations
      • CHAdeMO-to-TPC adapter required
      • Tesla CHAdeMO adapters may be available through Sales/Service Centers
  • Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and other smaller areas (e.g., Hong Kong & Macao)
    • Models S & X have Type 2 ("Menekes") AC/DC ports; Models 3 & Y come with CCS Combo 2 ports
    • Type 2 (Tesla-modified) cable plugs at V2 Superchargers* (for Models S & X)
    • Type 2 ("Mennekes") cable-equipped third-party stations
    • CCS Combo 2 charging cables at V2 and V3 Superchargers and third-party stations (CCS2-to-Type 2 adapter required for Models S & X)
    • CHAdeMO third-party equipment (CHAdeMO-to-Type 2 adapter required; for Models S & X; )
    • New Tesla vehicles in Taiwan now use Type 2/CCS2 equipment. TPC cables on superchargers will be switched to CCS Combo 2 cables.
  • North America and South Korea
    • Tesla vehicles come with TPC ports
    • Tesla Superchargers (with proprietary TPC plugs) are available for use by all model-years.
    • J1772 cable-equipped charging stations (J1772-to-TPC adapter required for all cars)
    • CCS Combo 1 equipment (CCS1-to-TPC adapter required)
      • currently only aftermarket adapters are available in North America
      • a Tesla CCS1 adapter is available in South Korea for Models 3 & Y
    • CHAdeMO third-party sites
      • Tesla CHAdeMO-to TCP adapter is required
      • this type of Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is no longer for sale in North America
    • Until recently Taiwan used this equipment, but has switched to the European-style Type 2 and CCS2 plugs.
Comments

- Not all charging equipment can be used by all model-years.
- The colored-areas of the map are of countries with active Tesla online-sales and region-wide Supercharger availability.
- Wilderness, montane, arctic, and other undeveloped areas of otherwise indicated countries are generally without electric-charging facilities.
- Population-dense areas (e.g., South America, India, South Africa, and Russia) may be subject to active Tesla marketing plans and future development.

Last edited:
No EV's in Tasmania? o_O

The map I used (erroneously) had white for Tasmania. Not sure why. The good folks in Tasmania certainly do have (a) electric cars and (b) some Tesla Models (S, X, or 3). I assume that charging there is similar to that in New Zealand and Australia--i.e., Type 2 ("Mennekes") and CCS2 plugs in the wild? A quick Google search shows third-party charging stations scattered around the Island; several Tesla destination chargers. One active Devonport Supercharger location, so far. One in Hobart scheduled for 2022. As in most places, people and businesses probably mostly use wall and mobile connectors for overnight AC charging, adapters for use of third-party DC charge stations, I imagine.

Thanks for raising this. The map I used was not focused on any particular brand of car. It indicated where areas were predisposed to use certain charging standards. Smaller and moderate-sized islands were sometimes over-looked. I had to manually color-in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. I'll have to do the same for Tasmania.

While we are at it, what about Madagascar? Not seeing any kind of charging stations there yet. But possibly people have imported cars and have home charging? South Africa has no Tesla Superchargers, yet, I believe. But there are third-party charging stations.

Greenland is indicated as green--but is there any electric-car usage there yet? Yes. See this, for example: Greenland Elecectric Car Race.

Last edited:
I was being funny - I understand Tasmania is the hillbilly land of Australia. (Or at least, Carrot-Top would have us believe).

Is this the country standard, or common usage?

It's a good map, but some sloppiness suggests it may not be that reliable. I.e. why is southern Chile lacking a standard? And Tierra del Fuego. If it's the official standards of the country, I assume the whole of Chile and Argentina's standards would apply. I'm pretty sure I've seen Teslas in Dubai, yet UAE is white. Only one Island of the Philippines is green. The southmost isthmus of Greece is white, as are Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily. I'm pleased to see Cuba has followed the USA EV standard for charging all those '57 Chevys.

(All in good fun)

I was being funny - I understand Tasmania is the hillbilly land of Australia. (Or at least, Carrot-Top would have us believe).

Is this the country standard, or common usage?

It's a good map, but some sloppiness suggests it may not be that reliable. I.e. why is southern Chile lacking a standard? And Tierra del Fuego. If it's the official standards of the country, I assume the whole of Chile and Argentina's standards would apply. I'm pretty sure I've seen Teslas in Dubai, yet UAE is white. Only one Island of the Philippines is green. The southmost isthmus of Greece is white, as are Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily. I'm pleased to see Cuba has followed the USA EV standard for charging all those '57 Chevys.

(All in good fun)

Yes, that's right. My favorite is Greenland where the center of the land (solid glaciers) is green and the narrow coastal areas (where there are actual towns, villages, and, I assume, roads) are white. Plus all the blue in northern Canada?

I probably should modify the map and bring it into accordance with Tesla standards, but my graphics tools are limited and removing the colors from all the non-Tesla areas would be difficult.

If you just look at the US and Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and China (Singapore, Hong Kong, and Macao are too small), it works pretty well.

Maybe best if I find another base map.

The important things are - what are the government standards and/or de facto standards? These will indicate (as has happened in Europe) the connectors both cars and chargers are likely to have, and what will predominate in the future. For Tesla, the only key indicator would be which countries have the Tesla plug (i.e. North America) and which follow the local standard, which I assume is mandated in some countries.

(I.e. ChaDEMO would be a de facto standard in N. America but will be fading over the next few years as I understand few if any new vehicles use it here. Likely new charger installs will either minimize or skip it.)

...I suspect the Kiwis might go apoplectic over their countries position in that map.

I don't know if it is obvious, but I added New Zealand myself to that map, because it was absent entirely from the original portrayal. I hope New Zealanders will forgive me. I figure it is better to be represented (albeit at an approximate scale and in the wrong latitude and longitude) than to be ignored altogether. (Besides, due to plate tectonics New Zealand has been zooming around the Planet for years, as have you guys, right?)

BTW, I am (slowly) erasing colors from the non-Tesla-official territories (e.g., Greenland, South America, India, etc.) of the base map I have. Maybe this weekend I can replace it here. However, I note from Teslascope and Teslafi that cars located around the world--including small numbers in places without Tesla websites, Superchargers, and I assume Sales & Service Centers--have received the latest (non-FSD Beta) firmware update (2021.44.25.2). I imagine that these are cars that were bought elsewhere and imported? But nonetheless they have to charge somewhere (e.g., home wall and mobile connectors and third-party charging stations).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: moa999
I’ve attempted to do a similar map to the initial post, except focusing on Tesla plug standards only. I’m solicited a bit of feedback from Reddit and made some adjustments - just wondering if anyone else here had suggestions:...

All that populated grey area--including South America, Africa, the Indian sub-continent, and Russia. Tesla marketing planners must have big ideas for the future Iif the electric grids are or become stable and adequate.

Reactions: Chuq
All that populated grey area--including South America, Africa, the Indian sub-continent, and Russia. Tesla marketing planners must have big ideas for the future Iif the electric grids are or become stable and adequate.
Luckily they also make products to help with grid stability/outages!

I've just had a quick look on Plugshare; so far I've found non-Tesla CCS2 networks in Indonesia, India, Oman, Qatar, Egypt, Tunisia, South Africa, Paraguay/Uruguay/Brazil/Argentina. Colombia was mostly CCS1, Panama was mostly CCS1 with a bit of CCS2. Lots of regions it wasn't obvious (pics weren't clear). Certainly looks like CCS2 will dominate.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352