Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Error Using a Semaconnect Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time, I have encountered a problem using a J1772 charging station. Here are the pertinent facts:

1. Semaconnect provides services to a building where I often park. I have a Semaconnect account and the iPhone app so I have access to the chargers. There are two chargers at the facility and have encountered the same error with each of them.

2. The charger that Semaconnect provides is a ChargePro station. The specifications are located here: Tech Specs

3. The charger is configured for 208V and 30 amps. My car seems to recognize this fact.

4. When I plug into either charger, within a few seconds the charging stops and the ChargePro unit indicates that it has encountered a "Ground Fault" error and to "Check Connection". There is also a long error code: AAAjAQAABAFAAAA.

5. Semaconnect and the building have tried to troubleshoot it, but it still returns the same error.

5. Here's the even more frustrating/puzzling part. Semaconnect operates another charging location nearby with the same ChargePro unit, and my car charges there without any trouble.

6. In addition, the building informs me that someone else with a Model S used one of the charging units for six hours the other day and did not encounter any errors. Apparently, no else besides the one Model S has used it.

7. I plan on calling Tesla, but I figured somebody here undoubtedly knows more about this problem than Tesla does. I also note that this issue came up with the Roadsters some years ago, but I haven't found a recent issue with a Model S.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Huh. I would have thought it would be a problem with the wiring of the install of that unit. However, you said they did have one other car that charged on it fine.

To start isolating variables (either the station or your car), I would try using a few other J1772 stations with your car and see if any others give you some kind of error. Then, I would try if you can get other people with electric cars to try out that station to see if that one gives them errors.

Reactions: davewill
Sorry the delay in thanking you for your post. I have been out of pocket. I'm not sure the issue is fully resolved, however, a Tesla technician speculated that my J1772 adapter might not be quite right (i.e., potentially unable to seat to the full satisfaction of this particular J1772 unit and my car). He swapped my adapter and he believes the new one should work. I haven't had an opportunity to give it a full go yet, but was able to charge for 1.5 hours.

Reactions: davewill
I had to use Semaconnect for a few months when I moved up to Portland and lived in a high rise. By far the worst charging experience I've had. Lost internet connection, charging faults, billing errors...not good. But better than nothing!