Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Errors after using public charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a free, public charger at our local park. I had some difficulty disconnecting when done, but no other issues.

Now I'm getting the following batch of errors:
Charging Stopped - Charge Cable Disconnected - Close Charge port - Press Brake pedal and retry

Alternating with:
Unable to charge - disconnect and Retry

The above two happen with or without charge cable attached. I've tried my 110v wall charger cable, my home Tesla wall charger, and a super charger. All with same result.

I also tried rebooting from the touch screen and the scroll wheel method.

On the Alerts panel, I'm showing the same messages with error codes:
CP_a056: Charging stopped - Charge Cable disconnected
and
BMS_a063 Unable to charge

Any thoughts?

Side note: I DO have some damage to the charger door (wife backed into a post and tore the charger door off - waiting for parts) but everything has been charging fine for a month since that incident, only the public charger this morning seemed to have caused my current issue.

I used a free, public charger at our local park. I had some difficulty disconnecting when done, but no other issues.

Now I'm getting the following batch of errors:
Charging Stopped - Charge Cable Disconnected - Close Charge port - Press Brake pedal and retry

Alternating with:
Unable to charge - disconnect and Retry

The above two happen with or without charge cable attached. I've tried my 110v wall charger cable, my home Tesla wall charger, and a super charger. All with same result.

I also tried rebooting from the touch screen and the scroll wheel method.

On the Alerts panel, I'm showing the same messages with error codes:
CP_a056: Charging stopped - Charge Cable disconnected
and
BMS_a063 Unable to charge

Any thoughts?

Side note: I DO have some damage to the charger door (wife backed into a post and tore the charger door off - waiting for parts) but everything has been charging fine for a month since that incident, only the public charger this morning seemed to have caused my current issue.
There is no way to determine the root cause of the charging issue until the charging port has been repaired. It may be a coincidence that the damaged charging port wiring or connector failed during the most recent charging session at the park.

Sounds like the cable or door interlocks. Try this:

Without plugging the charge cable in go into the trunk and pull the manual release cable, then close the charging port door and see what happens. If that does not work plug in the charging cable and try the manual release again, then close the port door.

Good luck!

Well, I kept fiddling with things and got it to work again. There appears to be a loose wire that detects if the charge port door is open, which must have gotten jostled by using the non-tesla charger adapter gizmo and the much larger charger handle at the public charger... The light was solid red, and when I found the sensor dangling I taped it up and bingo, the red light went out, and everything works again... whew!

Body repairs are scheduled for September so it would have been a pain to wait that long.

Reactions: ArtK and mswlogo