Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging etiquette for Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Perhaps this is a CA problem but I've seen far too may Teslas parked at public level 2 charges not plugged into the station. Not only is this rude, inconsiderate, and against the law in CA, it gives Tesla owners a bad reputation. I know EV parking spaces are usually the best in the lot, but if you park in front of a charger at least take 2 minutes and plug into the station. Otherwise you are doing everyone a disservice.

I know the type of people that frequent this forum aren't the likely offenders, but it is our job to inform other Tesla owners that this practice is bad form. And we need to not let these bad habits spread ... My thoughts but I hope others feel the same way.

Do you have to pay to charge there? If not, then I don't see a reason not to plug in. If so, I imagine you're right - they're just parking there to take up a good spot. Reminds me of people who take a relative's handicap sticker/car so they can park in the handicap slot when they don't need it.

people need to learn that those are CHARGING spots, not PARKING spots.
proper signage might help. a sign saying this spot reserved for ACTIVE CHARGING might work. getting property owners and government to enforce restrictions on blocking a charger would be a plus as well.

and against the law in CA.

It is? Since when? I was still under the impression that CA law hadn't been updated to account for this yet.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have to pay to charge there? If not, then I don't see a reason not to plug in. If so, I imagine you're right - they're just parking there to take up a good spot. Reminds me of people who take a relative's handicap sticker/car so they can park in the handicap slot when they don't need it.

Sadly I know plenty of people who keep the handicap placards in the car just for this reason and laugh at me when I question why they feel they should block legitimately disabled people. Unfortunately, for reasons that I won't get into here, it seems that our society is getting worse and worse with regards to entitlement. I'm sure every generation says that but...

In the interest of full disclosure I have parked in a few EV spots over time and "plugged in" even though my battery was essentially fully charged because the parking lot was full and I needed to run in and out and didn't feel like walking an exorbitant amount... I'll concede that I may have taken advantage of the situation in those instances which I probably shouldn't have but I can say the car was actively charging the few times I've done that...

Jeff

In the interest of full disclosure I have parked in a few EV spots over time and "plugged in" even though my battery was essentially fully charged because the parking lot was full and I needed to run in and out and didn't feel like walking an exorbitant amount... I'll concede that I may have taken advantage of the situation in those instances which I probably shouldn't have but I can say the car was actively charging the few times I've done that...

Jeff
That seems a legitimate use for me and a perk of owning an electric vehicle. Enjoy it while it lasts.. as more EV cars come on the road, you'll long for the 'good ol' days' when those spots were easy to get!

It is? Since when? I was still under the impression that CA law hadn't been updated to account for this yet.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly I know plenty of people who keep the handicap placards in the car just for this reason and laugh at me when I question why they feel they should block legitimately disabled people. Unfortunately, for reasons that I won't get into here, it seems that our society is getting worse and worse with regards to entitlement. I'm sure every generation says that but...

Jeff

California AB 475 in 2011 or 2012... Charging An Electric Car In CA? Make Sure You’re Not Towed

If your fully charged, some places will ticket and tow after a few minutes from being done.

Charging stations are really meant for those actively charging, regardless of which plug in one drives.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff
As posted elsewhere AB-475 is the law that will have you towed if not plugged into a charger while parked in a designated EV space.

At least you plugged into the charger. I've seen numerous Tesla owners just take up the spot because "it's the best parking spot" not plug in and walk away. When I had my Leaf I nicely let a young Tesla owner know which chargers were working (some were broken), he said he didn't need to charge, I explained how it was the same as parking in front of a gas station, he said "but these are the best spaces" and walked away.

As posted elsewhere AB-475 is the law that will have you towed if not plugged into a charger while parked in a designated EV space.

At least you plugged into the charger. I've seen numerous Tesla owners just take up the spot because "it's the best parking spot" not plug in and walk away. When I had my Leaf I nicely let a young Tesla owner know which chargers were working (some were broken), he said he didn't need to charge, I explained how it was the same as parking in front of a gas station, he said "but these are the best spaces" and walked away.

Yep, good to know. :)

Regarding the entitlement attitude... Unfortunately this is an epidemic it would seem among Tesla owners, like the other thread where people refuse to put on the HOV stickers because they're "ugly" and so they shouldn't have too, I mean after all, since we can afford these cars we shouldn't have to follow the rules now should we???...

Jeff

people need to learn that those are CHARGING spots, not PARKING spots.
proper signage might help. a sign saying this spot reserved for ACTIVE CHARGING might work. getting property owners and government to enforce restrictions on blocking a charger would be a plus as well.
Every time I've seen this happen the spots were properly signed, some people just don't care. The city of Santa Monica will ticket vehicles not plugged in (in the city's garages) but usually not tow the car. I've also seen a Tesla ticketed for not having a front license plate in a city garage.

Every time I've seen this happen the spots were properly signed, some people just don't care. The city of Santa Monica will ticket vehicles not plugged in (in the city's garages) but usually not tow the car. I've also seen a Tesla ticketed for not having a front license plate in a city garage.

In one of the Walnut Creek city garages they leave their city vehicles there all weekend to take up charging spaces from the general public so the variations from city to city are quite substantial...

Jeff

In one of the Walnut Creek city garages they leave their city vehicles there all weekend to take up charging spaces from the general public so the variations from city to city are quite substantial...

Jeff
someone else on this thread noted that there is a law in CA that prohibits blocking a charger with a parked car, try calling in the barneys to see if they'll enforce the law.

Yep, good to know. :)

Regarding the entitlement attitude... Unfortunately this is an epidemic it would seem among Tesla owners, like the other thread where people refuse to put on the HOV stickers because they're "ugly" and so they shouldn't have too, I mean after all, since we can afford these cars we shouldn't have to follow the rules now should we???...

Jeff
I have no problem with people not putting the white sticker on their car, just don't drive in the HOV lane. The white sticker also has the benefit of free parking at the meters in some cities (like Santa Monica) so if you don't value these benefits then don't put the sticker on. Otherwise expect to get a ticket for not playing by the rules like parking without plugging in or driving in the HOV lane without a sticker.

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff
Santa Monica isn't perfect either, they have many city EVs that also take up public charging spots all weekend.

That seems a legitimate use for me and a perk of owning an electric vehicle. Enjoy it while it lasts.. as more EV cars come on the road, you'll long for the 'good ol' days' when those spots were easy to get!
No, it is not a "perk" of owning an electric vehicle. That kind of attitude is what gives EV owners a bad name. The space is to charge your car, not to give you a premium parking spot as a reward for owning an EV.

No, it is not a "perk" of owning an electric vehicle. That kind of attitude is what gives EV owners a bad name. The space is to charge your car, not to give you a premium parking spot as a reward for owning an EV.
I think the point was that he WAS charging. It's just that he didn't NEED to charge to get wherever he was going. That is a much trickier thing. I think most would agree that such a use is taking advantage of the situation, but it's clearly a legal use.

There's no real analogy in the gas-powered world. Pulling up to the pump for gas when you really only want to buy a lotto ticket inside, but there's no more parking spots?

I deal with this on a daily basis. My primary charger is shared between approximately 10 EVs. When do I "need" to charge? If I wait until the situation is dire, there's a good chance I'll be stranded. If I have enough range for my next trip, I could be blocking someone with a more urgent need. It's a complex situation.

That's common practice in my country too. Model S owners do like they own everything. The owner of this Model S even went to the TV station and was aired about her complaining, how ICE cars are parking on EV charging spots. Yet, this is what she does, when she parks at the city's biggest mall:

[url=http://shrani.si/?24/FQ/4qSCcQRP/20131212170927.jpg]20131212170927.jpg[/URL]

My Ampera is charging on Schuko 16A 230V plug, while she didn't plug the car into (11kW) charging type2 Mennekes plug and it's not the only time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
I have no problem with people not putting the white sticker on their car, just don't drive in the HOV lane. The white sticker also has the benefit of free parking at the meters in some cities (like Santa Monica) so if you don't value these benefits then don't put the sticker on. Otherwise expect to get a ticket for not playing by the rules like parking without plugging in or driving in the HOV lane without a sticker.

[.

Where can you find a listing of these benefits? They seem to be scattered all over the california website. I found that the Fairmont hotel offers free parking to guests with the white sticker.