Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging etiquette for Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think the OP has a point here. Teslas have a decent battery pack and rarely do we need to use Level 2 chargers. Holding a Level 2 charger and not charging just should not happen. If you don't need the charge then don't hold the spot. If you do hold the spot at least charge and give those other EV owners an option to contact you if they critically need to charge. It can be thru Plugshare our thru a note on you car or on the charge port. Evenex even has a laminated card you can use.

But as EV owners we should follow the basic rules of etiquette around charging. Plug in cars has a good article on etiquette.
Electric Vehicle Charging Etiquette | PluginCars.com

Keep in mind that over the next couple of years EV's are going to be more and more common on the road. Only the Tesla has the capability to quick charge to 80% in a timely manner. The new Leaf or the new Chevy bolt can only max out at about 70-80 miles on a quick charge (chadmo or SEA Combo). Those quick chargers are also limited to only 30 minutes so they will not have no option for a quick full charge anyway. The need for Level 2 chargers is only going to increase. Currently there are not enough chargers at popular locations for the amount of EV drivers on the road. Once the affordable 200 mile range cars start coming out the problem is only going to get worse. There is no incentive right now for more chargers to be put in place so expect things to get worse.

There already is a lot of hostility against Plug in hybrids & Tesla's using Level 2 spots. Don't be part of the problem because you have seen other idiots not follow etiquette.
In order to avoid future problems (with the increase of EV adoption) stations will need to charge a fee to prevent abuse. It's complicated and really not a strong business to be in, but fee based charging really discourages people from using the space as a parking spot.

I'm not one to tell anyone else what to do unless it is cut-and-dried-wrong. For instance - parking in an EV spot not charging - cut-and-dried-wrong.

But I will submit that I don't think Teslas should opportunity charge at L2 stations.
I do think Volts should opportunity charge at L2 stations.

What's the difference? Volts owners, for the most part, are doing what they can to drive all electric. Yes, they have a generator for backup, but many obsesses over not using gas unless absolutely necessary. Let them have their cake and eat it too. Same with any PHEV.

I also think that notes should be left on Plugshare as a non-negotiable standard of courtesy. Ever you are charging, have enough to go home or finish out your trip, and a Leaf texts you that they are desperately in need of a charge...wouldn't you run right out and move your car? Of course. We all would. So why not make that be a standard in the etiquette booklet?

Finally, Teslas opportunity charging at Tesla HPWC's, destination chargers and Superchargers is really the only place we should be in my opinion. Only we can connect. And the worst that we can do is momentarily inconvenience another Tesla with a big battery. If we all posted our info on Plugshare for other Tesla folks to see, that would be easy to manage.

The bottom line - in my opinion - WE should help manage the prioritization of need at L2's. Short range BEV's first. Long range BEV's second if and only if the charge is necessary. Short range PHEV's third. And ANY opportunity charging a distant fourth if at all.

Again - this is just as it relates to public L2's. Just my opinion. And for the sake of all that is good in the world - get in the absolute habit of checking in on Plugshare with your cell number? Just my $.02.

Agreed. There are several initiatives around that will take away free charging because it's so badly abused and used long after charging is completed. But I don't think a per kWh charge will not stop the abuse. I've seen time based charging costs being more effective. You are charged for the time you use charging rather than draw. This way if you completed charging and don't move you are still accumulating charges.

I'm not one to tell anyone else what to do unless it is cut-and-dried-wrong. For instance - parking in an EV spot not charging - cut-and-dried-wrong.

But I will submit that I don't think Teslas should opportunity charge at L2 stations.
I do think Volts should opportunity charge at L2 stations.

What's the difference? Volts owners, for the most part, are doing what they can to drive all electric. Yes, they have a generator for backup, but many obsesses over not using gas unless absolutely necessary. Let them have their cake and eat it too. Same with any PHEV.

I also think that notes should be left on Plugshare as a non-negotiable standard of courtesy. Ever you are charging, have enough to go home or finish out your trip, and a Leaf texts you that they are desperately in need of a charge...wouldn't you run right out and move your car? Of course. We all would. So why not make that be a standard in the etiquette booklet?

Finally, Teslas opportunity charging at Tesla HPWC's, destination chargers and Superchargers is really the only place we should be in my opinion. Only we can connect. And the worst that we can do is momentarily inconvenience another Tesla with a big battery. If we all posted our info on Plugshare for other Tesla folks to see, that would be easy to manage.

The bottom line - in my opinion - WE should help manage the prioritization of need at L2's. Short range BEV's first. Long range BEV's second if and only if the charge is necessary. Short range PHEV's third. And ANY opportunity charging a distant fourth if at all.

Again - this is just as it relates to public L2's. Just my opinion. And for the sake of all that is good in the world - get in the absolute habit of checking in on Plugshare with your cell number? Just my $.02.

Completely agree. I use plugshare on a regular basis for this same reason. But I find that most Tesla owners don't. Plugshare is more commonly used by smaller EVs like the leaf and i3 regular basis because they rely on the info. But tesla, volt, and phev,s don't.

You are charged for the time you use charging rather than draw. This way if you completed charging and don't move you are still accumulating charges.

It should be a combination of time connected to the station and kWh consumed. In Europe, public charging stations can go up to 3 phase 32A, that means up to 22kW AC. So, Renault Zoe, Model S can charge at 22kW, while Ampera can only charge at 3.3kW and Kia Soul EV can charge at 6.6kW.
If only time would be charged, that means, that the Ampera owner would pay 6 times the price for the same amount of energy, than the Zoe owner.

price = per minute connected + kWh drawn

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
Not me. I park as far away as I can get, hoping to avoid door rash. Then come out to be surrounded by others apparently trying to do the same thing. Can't win.
LOL or someone who's come to check out your Tesla and parked next to it to have a look.

I've never parked anywhere to charge but at the Tesla Superchargers or home. There's no reason for me to park at an L2 since I have enough charge to get around the city doing errands. However, I think it's cool to park at a Supercharger like the one at a mall near my home because I seem to be draining my battery faster than I anticipated just doing city driving and it's free charging (even though I suspect I paid for it as part of my car's price). It also happens to be one of the prime spots in the parking lot that always seems to be full every time I've been there (I only go there 2-3 times a year). I can't see why that would be unethical even if I'm only needing to charge for 10 minutes but my trip takes an hour or so. It's essentially destination charging because they put it in a place most people spend hours at and can't be expected to come out and move it as soon as they finish charging. Why would someone have an issue with that?

Last edited:
The intent of fast charging like the supercharger is so they are only used as needed. Currently there are not enough Teslas on the road for it to be a problem that you hold a spot for 1 hr when you only needed a 10 minute charge. But as Tesla becomes more popular you will be a problem for people that need the fast charger to get home.

Look at what happened Christmas break, on this forum there was a huge discussion of an hour or more wait at the tejon supercharger. The supercharger is local to someone too. If they were to hold that spot for over an hour without charging you would have had some very angry people.

The charging etiquette should always apply. If you don't need to charge don't take up he spot. If you do use it, once your done charging you should move your car to free up the slot for the next guy.

Around here a lot of the public chargers have long cords that would reach multiple stalls, (especially if backed in) (whether those stalls are open or not is a different question, but it does happen) I also know of a few locations with multiple stalls dedicated per charger (eg Ikea in Calgary has 4 stalls, but only 2 chargers)
So it certainly has some merit. I've returned to my car to find another EV in the stall next to me, most likely waiting for a charge, I would have plugged them in had they left their charge port open and the adapter in it...

Makes sense, I just haven't personally encountered many like that. If I did, I could certainly see the use having a "you can unplug me" sign.

On another note, I feel like it's worth mentioning another angle on a solution to this problem: more chargers! If everyone had a charger, we wouldn't have to fight! Something of a pipe dream I'm sure, but on the other hand EVSE equipment is not super expensive compared to the cost of parking structures and such that places already have to pay for.

In order to avoid future problems (with the increase of EV adoption) stations will need to charge a fee to prevent abuse. It's complicated and really not a strong business to be in, but fee based charging really discourages people from using the space as a parking spot.

that would mean they would have to drop $2500 off the price of the car. the $2500 supercharger fee is advanced payment for the privilege to charge for "free". that's why when you want to upgrade the 60 kwh cars they do it with a software update and charge $2500 for it (this is what ive read).

I was curious when another Tesla owner got pissed when I left my MS at the Folsom, CA SC to go shopping at the nearby outlet but didn't come back until about 45 minutes after the MS was done charging. (Hey, I wasn't done shopping yet). The spaces weren't full when I got there but there was a pretty big line once I came back. Am I supposed to be physically present until it's done charging, or something? Because I honestly don't know.

I was curious when another Tesla owner got pissed when I left my MS at the Folsom, CA SC to go shopping at the nearby outlet but didn't come back until about 45 minutes after the MS was done charging. (Hey, I wasn't done shopping yet). The spaces weren't full when I got there but there was a pretty big line once I came back. Am I supposed to be physically present until it's done charging, or something? Because I honestly don't know.
No, but you know how long it takes for the charge you need and you should return to your car and move it to a parking space if you're going to be spending more time shopping.

I would say yes. you should check your app, especially in California since most model s vehicles are in that state. you may not have issues in NY though but you still should check the app

You don't have to be physically present, but I suggest that you check your charge status using the Tesla app on your smartphone every 15 minutes and when your charge is up to the level you want, please move your car.
It's just basic courtesy, and the Tesla app makes it easy to do. There is really no excuse not to.

So I guess no one has a card specifically for EV owners hogging spots? We have a Tesla guy here who just uses them as a parking spot. Sometimes he's plugged in, sometimes not.

The ****** part is last time I know he saw me when he beat me to the spot, then he plugged in and left his car there for 24 hours straight! The other EV's who come in early couldn't even use the spot.

How many brain cells does it take to think "Hey, somebody else might want to use this"

So I guess no one has a card specifically for EV owners hogging spots? We have a Tesla guy here who just uses them as a parking spot. Sometimes he's plugged in, sometimes not.

The ****** part is last time I know he saw me when he beat me to the spot, then he plugged in and left his car there for 24 hours straight! The other EV's who come in early couldn't even use the spot.

How many brain cells does it take to think "Hey, somebody else might want to use this"

I would email tesla his vin and explain the situation

I think this speaks to the "don't tread on me" (New Hampshire's state motto) culture that we have in the US. I don't like it. Though I love the motto. I wish we were more considerate of others.

As far as plug-ins go, I have a hard time understanding the need there. They have an ICE engine to get them home, in whatever form that may be. Pure EVs do not. I only use a charging spot when I need it, and I calculate that need and move when I am done.

I completely agree that EV charging spots should not be the prime spots. I understand why they were set up this way with the new tech: to promote the concept. But I am happy to walk all the way across a parking lot for the privilege of being able to charge, free or not. A good example of that is Petaluma, CA. The 10 stalls are a good walk from the grocery store. I haven't seen any ICEing there yet. People are just too plain lazy. Another cultural issues for the US... It really is the same thing as people parking in disabled spaces when they are not. Simply shameful, IMO.

My hope is that, as EVs take over the market, as they will, that enough stranded people will gain a voice large enough to 1: increase the sensitivity among the public to understand the problem for those of us who end up stranded, and 2: motivate law enforcement and towing companies to actually do something about it. CA may well have a bill for this. But they are not doing anything about it at all.
OH NOOOOO!

As all good Granite Staters will tell you, the NH state motto is Live Free or Die. "Don't Tread On Me" was a colonial era slogan that was put on what is called the Gadsden flag, originally to be used on Revolutionary War naval vessels. It is not the motto of any state.

Here endeth the afternoon's history lesson.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100