TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

charging etiquette - someone disconnected me

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hemants, May 14, 2016.

1. hemants

hemants Member

Was parked at ACC under longos for a couple hours. Someone disconnected sun country charger and left my adapter hanging out.

My charge was full so no harm was done.

Kosher or not?

2. hemants

hemants Member

Was parked at ACC under longos for a couple hours. Someone disconnected sun country charger and left my adapter hanging out.

My charge was full so no harm was done.

Kosher or not?

3. LJordan

LJordan Member

If no other chargers were available at the site, Kosher. I assume they could tell you were full. I would leave you a courtesy note and explain why I unplugged you.

4. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I am inclined to say that you might be in the wrong for being plugged in while full.

Do you know/sense that someone unplugged you to plug in their own car, or was this just a prank/joke to unplug you?

• Like x 1
  5. Firewired

Firewired Member

I would never touch another owners car.

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I would say neither action was good etiquette. You should have returned and moved your car when charging was done to free the space, and the other person probably shouldn't have unplugged you. (I am not a fan of strangers messing with other strangers cars even if they aren't charging)

But do remember that charging spots are not parking spots for your future endeavors. You had basically ICE'd out that other EV.

• Like x 3
  7. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I've seen CHAdeMO stations that display the car's SOC on the screen, but can some J1772s do this? Otherwise how would the person have known your Tesla was fully charged?

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Most Level 2 chargers show if the vehicle is charging on the main unit in some form, either via colored lights or a screen.

9. taurusking

taurusking Member

May be it was work of some prankster but definitely worth condemning their action.

• Dislike x 1
  10. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

Think about it from the perspective of the other person. They need a charge, maybe REALLY need a charge, and there is a charger not being used. I see no problem with them using the charger. They are not really messing with your car, just removing the charger cord, which is not even directly connected to your car, since it is the adaptor that is. That being said a note would be nice.... but tell me, how many people carry around a pen and paper to leave a note?

• Like x 2
  11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I always leave my cell number, in case someone needs to charge (whether I'm still charging or not). That's probably the best 'etiquette'. That way if I don't get back right when my charge is done, they can still call me and ask if it's okay.

I used to use just a note, now I've graduated to using one of these hangtags, leave it hanging right on the car charge port:

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.03.07 AM.png

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 3
  12. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

If you were full, and they unplugged you. I see no problem. If they left and didn't plug you back in, that's not very nice.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

If your car was full and they really needed it without there being any others available, I don't see the harm. After all we're canadian eh :)

• Like x 1
  14. RDoc

RDoc S85D

And they knew the car was full how?

15. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

Doesn't the light at the plug change when its full?

16. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Not 100% on this as I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I believe the rep told me its displayed on the big screen which should be easy to see?

Maybe it's the charger changes colour like the other poster mentioned (not sure if this happens)

17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Not sure what particular kind of sun country charger you were at, but this one has a light for charging, for example. If that wasn't on, they would have assumed you weren't charging.

image.jpeg

18. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Many times a single charger is set up for 2 parking spaces for this very reason. We're a community and as long as there's a way of knowing if you're done charging, it should be ok to unplug if they need the juice.

Not if Tesla would keep the charge port light active, this would be much easier...

19. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Yes it displays on the screen and the charge port lights up, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE KEY FOB PRESENT. A stranger would see neither.

• Informative x 1
  20. James Anders

James Anders Member

Perhaps they didn't?