Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging etiquette - someone disconnected me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I parked in the Richmond Adelaide Center where they have about 10 L2 chargers. There is a Tesla parked in one of the charging spots and he/she didn't plug in - bad form!

The new thing will be EVed out. Model 3 owners not wanting to pay for super charging but wanting the parking spot. I don't think there is any way you can be ticketed for parking in a SC stall with any car Tesla or not.

Why Model 3 owners?

My guess is he's thinking that Model 3's will become a lot more pervasive than other Tesla's.

I think the problem with EV cars taking charging spots (but not plugged in) is an easy fix...

Don't put the chargers in premium locations. What drives people to park in charging spots is either ignorance of etiquette or sheer laziness. The former is easy to fix and that latter can be fixed by putting chargers in the least convenient locations. Frankly, if it is in a parking garage, I don't mind walking any extra 200 meters if that is a deterrent for the lazy parker.

My guess is he's thinking that Model 3's will become a lot more pervasive than other Tesla's.

I think the problem with EV cars taking charging spots (but not plugged in) is an easy fix...

Don't put the chargers in premium locations. What drives people to park in charging spots is either ignorance of etiquette or sheer laziness. The former is easy to fix and that latter can be fixed by putting chargers in the least convenient locations. Frankly, if it is in a parking garage, I don't mind walking any extra 200 meters if that is a deterrent for the lazy parker.

The problem will still happen in the holiday season for superchargers located in retail locations. Every parking spot is always filled. Someone see's 8 or more spots for Tesla's and will take them.

You think this wasn't thought about long before they were installed. Product placement, free advertising, 10 Teslas parked up charging while you shop and every shopper passes them, you cant get better advertising than that. The thought they would tuck them away in the back of a car park out of sight is not in the interests of anyone. Its not a battle thats winnable, but its worth the effort to keep trying. If we keep to a system where only cars charging are allowed to be parked then we are at least working in conjunction with each other, once we abuse the charging spots then we may aswell only charge at home because you cannot enforce a rule that the community is not prepaired to keep to themselves.

The problem will still happen in the holiday season for superchargers located in retail locations. Every parking spot is always filled. Someone see's 8 or more spots for Tesla's and will take them.
Oh, I agree with you completely and I've had this debate before. I think Vaughan Mills is going to the biggest problem (maybe Markville but I don't know that malll very well).

I never figured that Tesla's could be the problem but if we get a glut of Model 3 owners at Vaughan Mills not wanting to pay for a charge and not wanting to search for parking, those spots could be jammed up in a hurry!!!

Reactions: adaptabl
But so far to date it's been S/X owners who abuse the superchargers and their parking spaces, among Tesla owners anyway. I'm sure some 3 owners will be guilty of it as well but that certainly hasn't been the case for the last few years.
I think that is simply because Model 3's haven't been out in the wild for very long. First one I ever saw was about 3-4 months ago at the Grimsby SC and it had PA plates.

I think the greater point is that since (in theory) X and S owners charge for free, they will at least plug in at a charging spot (even if they don't need the charge) whereas a Model 3 owner may choose not to on account of paying.

I will agree with you though that poor etiquette doesn't have a model number, it's just poor etiquette.

I think that is simply because Model 3's haven't been out in the wild for very long. First one I ever saw was about 3-4 months ago at the Grimsby SC and it had PA plates.

I think the greater point is that since (in theory) X and S owners charge for free, they will at least plug in at a charging spot (even if they don't need the charge) whereas a Model 3 owner may choose not to on account of paying.

I will agree with you though that poor etiquette doesn't have a model number, it's just poor etiquette.

Yeah, it's especially bad in the more densely populated places like California for example. S/X owners clogging up the superchargers just to charge for free and leave the cars there. Now with idling fees, I'd hope a lot of people would stop that. I would hope that 3 owners would avoid Superchargers as much as possible since they have to pay for it. Having to pay is a mental deterrent for a lot of folks. Getting it for free leads to more abuse.

But like you said, poor etiquette is poor etiquette.

The new thing will be EVed out. Model 3 owners not wanting to pay for super charging but wanting the parking spot. I don't think there is any way you can be ticketed for parking in a SC stall with any car Tesla or not.
At least they have just passed a new legislation in Quebec where cars that do not charge can be ticketed and towed.

Of course, you will be on a low priority for the police to come and give a ticket (apply on public and private lot BTW).

There were a couple of 3s up at Deerhurst this past weekend - one kept on cozening up next to my S whenever I parked.:) Although there is a Supercharger in Huntsville, some guy in a Honda decided it was okay to park for a couple of days straight in the EV spots at Deerhurst - then joined by another Honda at the adjacent EV spot.

I hope that EV etiquette starts to have an impact with these lunkheads soon.

Reactions: Struja
There were a couple of 3s up at Deerhurst this past weekend - one kept on cozening up next to my S whenever I parked.:) Although there is a Supercharger in Huntsville, some guy in a Honda decided it was okay to park for a couple of days straight in the EV spots at Deerhurst - then joined by another Honda at the adjacent EV spot.

I hope that EV etiquette starts to have an impact with these lunkheads soon.

I've been meaning to make copies of notes for these issues like parking in EV spots, parked at a charging station but not charging, unplugging other people etc and leaving them in the car to use. People do this stuff because nobody calls them out on it.

Get in touch with whoever supervises parking at Deerhurst. On a recent trip, I complained to a Marriott that had Tesla Destination chargers (most of the reason why I chose the hotel in the first place) that were completely ICEd up and I was hoping to charge overnight (was down to 30 kms left!). Luckily a SC station was nearby but the hotel apologized and advised they'd do a better job in guarding those spots. When I came back to the hotel on the return leg back home a few days later, the spots were completely clear. And these spots where right by the front desk (hence why they're ICEd so much I suppose) so I hope they've made this a lasting change.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I haven't been to Deerhurst in over a year but they used to leave orange cones in the EV spots. That meant that we had a slight inconvenience to get out and move them, but it was worth it to significantly reduce the probability of ICE'ing.

At least they have just passed a new legislation in Quebec where cars that do not charge can be ticketed and towed.

Of course, you will be on a low priority for the police to come and give a ticket (apply on public and private lot BTW).
Would this even apply to private property like Tesla SuperChargers, not to mention underground parking garages? I doubt it, but maybe I am wrong - or could the security guards at a mall issue tickets under the Quebec Highway Traffic Act (or whatever it is called).

Would this even apply to private property like Tesla SuperChargers, not to mention underground parking garages? I doubt it, but maybe I am wrong - or could the security guards at a mall issue tickets under the Quebec Highway Traffic Act (or whatever it is called).

Well I’ve seen snippets of lease agreements for a local Tesla Supercharger and it’s up to the property (i.e. not Tesla) to enforce the spots. But nothing in the lease agreement prevents anyone (EV or not) from just parking there, nor will Tesla be required to get involved. I’m guessing variations in their contracts will exists between SCs but definitely get security involved and they can consider towing/ticketing if they feel like it.