Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging etiquette - someone disconnected me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say neither action was good etiquette. You should have returned and moved your car when charging was done to free the space, and the other person probably shouldn't have unplugged you. (I am not a fan of strangers messing with other strangers cars even if they aren't charging)

But do remember that charging spots are not parking spots for your future endeavors. You had basically ICE'd out that other EV.

Think about it from the perspective of the other person. They need a charge, maybe REALLY need a charge, and there is a charger not being used. I see no problem with them using the charger. They are not really messing with your car, just removing the charger cord, which is not even directly connected to your car, since it is the adaptor that is. That being said a note would be nice.... but tell me, how many people carry around a pen and paper to leave a note?

I always leave my cell number, in case someone needs to charge (whether I'm still charging or not). That's probably the best 'etiquette'. That way if I don't get back right when my charge is done, they can still call me and ask if it's okay.

I used to use just a note, now I've graduated to using one of these hangtags, leave it hanging right on the car charge port:

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.03.07 AM.png

Many times a single charger is set up for 2 parking spaces for this very reason. We're a community and as long as there's a way of knowing if you're done charging, it should be ok to unplug if they need the juice.

Not if Tesla would keep the charge port light active, this would be much easier...

Reactions: Galve2000
Not 100% on this as I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I believe the rep told me its displayed on the big screen which should be easy to see?

Maybe it's the charger changes colour like the other poster mentioned (not sure if this happens)
Yes it displays on the screen and the charge port lights up, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE KEY FOB PRESENT. A stranger would see neither.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler