Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Etiquette - West Cincinnati SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-7-31_16-18-41.jpeg

Anyone else run into people blocking SCs like this? 10 stalls, model 3 is parked, not charging and blocking the one SC which allows a Model X with a tow payload to charge.

Seems very inconsiderate to block a SC spot while not charging, especially the only one configured for a specific scenario.

There seems to be some dispute about this and it could be based on model and year, but in general the charge port of a locked car will open when a nearby Tesla charge plug button is pressed. Thus, some people will plug in another's Tesla who is abusing the charging network by using it as special reserved parking for themselves.

While it's a cute approach that has been around for a long time, I am not sure it is the best practice to plug another's car in. First, some spots have signage that allow general parking (indefinitely, up to 30 minutes, etc). In that case, the non-charging Tesla is no different than an ICE vehicle permissibly parking. Second, Tesla's now have sentry mode. The owner of that Tesla could be angry at being plugged in and potentially seek out police to press charges against you for violating their property. I have not heard of this happening, but it's a thought (especially if the spot is general parking).

It may be best to leave a nice note.

All of that being said, I agree with the OP that Tesla's who take up charging spots are jerks. Especially in this location where there is ample parking adjacent that is never crowded. And, as the OP noted he/she is taking up the one Model X w/ trailer spot.

A Model 3 doesn't open it's port unless unlocked.
On HPWC at home 3/X/S don't open when locked. However at a supercharger they should all open.

I plugged in an S a month ago. I let him sit there for my entire 45 minute charge to cover the benefit of the doubt "30 minute general parking". Upon leaving I plugged him in. Another area person said he was still plugged in 3 hours later.

That SC is in a Meijer. Probably just shopping and trying to avoid getting a door ding. Still not the right thing to do.

• Funny
Reactions: Vip
I observed this lady ahead of me park, blocking 4 0f 8 charging spots, then go into the store to shop with her 2 daughters. I plug in and then another Model S plugs in after me. At this point anyone else needing a charge would get a lower juice rate. The temperature was 10F so those of us doing necessary travel were blowing through our electrons and an inconsiderate person like this could drag out our misery.

1DF14E34-FFF5-47F9-95AB-B9073E54BDAB.jpeg