Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Etiquette ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to EV's and I am wondering what the charging etiquette is? In my area lots of the public chargers are free in order to promote more EV's. As I have these free chargers at work and other places I go to regularly I am opting to plug in there rather than at home.

The chargers I use are posted as having a 3 hr max.

It's touchy subject here and has been discussed intensely.

Don't feel bad for using a free charger. That's what they are for. Personally I hardly use L2 chargers, even when they are free. The amount of money I 'save' over charging at home is insignificant. I think it's good if public chargers are being used well, though. It shows the operators that there is demand. The tricky part is always if someone arrives that needs to charge more urgent than you who might just enjoy a free top off.
Our city has several free chargers and they are always hogged. People love free stuff even if it's just 50 ct. LOL

Personally it comes down to this. I use a public charger (free or not) if it is really convenient. I do not go out of my way to go to a charger to pick up 7 miles while I go shopping. That's silly.

The times I have used it, has been at work. Two hours of charging on the charger covers what I need for my commute. The only inconvenience is moving my car once charged, but it is good excuse to go for a short walk to the parking lot and stretch my legs.

Seems like the chargers get well used, but most of the time I can get one when I arrive at work or some point during the day.

When I run the numbers, I see that I managed to save a whopping $1.43

Last edited:
Reactions: Donz_S
First and foremost, remember that there are many other EVs that don't have the range of the Tesla and may need to charge remotely to get home.

If you have home charging, use it and don't clog the public infrastructure unless you need it.

Etiquette
Don't stay at a charger longer than you need to. When finished, let someone else use it. (possible exception if lots of chargers and you know they won't fill up)

When finished, if someone has their charge door open, plug them in.

Always put yourself in the other guys shoes. What would you do if you only had about 50 miles of usable range.

The free chargers are an inducement for people to purchase and use EVs. Feel free to use them at your convenience.

Etiquette says to only park there while you are actively charging and don't take the last spot if your need is not urgent.
Feel free to chat with others charging, answering questions about your EV and being interested in the EVs of others.

The free level 2 charging stations are for the crappy EVs that need a charge to go across town and back. You have a Tesla so fortunately you don’t need to use them, assuming you have a garage at home. Install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage, wake up to a 90% (of 310 mile/499 km) charge every morning, and don’t think about public level 2 charging again.

I have stickers with my Google phone number on the inside of the Model S charge door, that way if someone really needs me off they can call.

One fear I have for Model 3 is the rates of vandalism with the giant upward flapping wing of a charge bay cover.

Sell it and buy a Tesla?

Seriously no way would I own a car with that little range.

What a totally unhelpful post. There are a number of EVs that are getting pretty old now and didn't have the range of the Tesla to begin with. It is totally unrealistic to just assume that these cars will disappear. They exist, now 50 miles may be low for most of these, but some of the really old Leafs have started getting close to this number. Plus, you generally don't want to go to 0%, so 50 maybe the useful range that the owner wants.

What a totally unhelpful post. There are a number of EVs that are getting pretty old now and didn't have the range of the Tesla to begin with. It is totally unrealistic to just assume that these cars will disappear. They exist, now 50 miles may be low for most of these, but some of the really old Leafs have started getting close to this number. Plus, you generally don't want to go to 0%, so 50 maybe the useful range that the owner wants.
I agree. I have friends who wouldn't be able to afford a Tesla but did want an EV. Used Leafs are in their price range and they do their best to avoid driving an ICE.

I almost never charge out unless I'm on a road trip. I leave the L2 chargers for those who need them.

I never charge at a public charger unless I need it. However, I do see the argument that using public chargers raises consciousness about EVs.
That’s not necessarily a good thing. Public chargers at Walgreens etc, also perpetuate the stereotype that EVs aren’t practical because they need to charge to get across town and back. Not everyone knows that there are EVs which can go 310 miles and charge at home overnight.

Did you read my post in context?

I was asked: What I would you do if I owned one of these cars.

The reason why I don't own one of these is they don't make any sense for my lifestyle so I would never own one. It makes sense of others, but it would be a silly car for me to have.

Can I ask - What would you do if you owned a Monster Truck?
Extreme-Lift-e1423677125126.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: EVCollies
I was asked: What I would you do if I owned one of these cars.
You were asked to put yourself in someone else’s shoes in the context of utilizing a shared resource. The idea that you wouldn’t own a low mileage EV doesn’t apply to that exercise. Empathy is about being able to understand the needs of others especially if they don’t match your experience.

I also wouldn’t own a short range EV. I bought the longest range available on both of my Teslas. But that doesn’t preclude me from understanding the needs of others and considering them when I am using a shared resource.

If you are lucky enough to own a long range EV like a Tesla then be considerate to those who need to charge to get home. Free electricity is nice but it's not like you can't afford it.

Basically public charging should be something you use when you need it, not just because you want something for free. Imagine if you were nearly out of energy and had to wait hours for a charge just because someone wanted a few bucks of free energy and a premium parking space.

If you are lucky enough to own a long range EV like a Tesla then be considerate to those who need to charge to get home. Free electricity is nice but it's not like you can't afford it.

Basically public charging should be something you use when you need it, not just because you want something for free. Imagine if you were nearly out of energy and had to wait hours for a charge just because someone wanted a few bucks of free energy and a premium parking space.
I have no problem with this, but it does irk me when people see me charging at a L2 location and assume that I don't need the charge. I live a LONG way from civilization. If I'm charging, it is because I need it. I've been unplugged by phev's before.

I am new to EV's and I am wondering what the charging etiquette is? In my area lots of the public chargers are free in order to promote more EV's. As I have these free chargers at work and other places I go to regularly I am opting to plug in there rather than at home.

The chargers I use are posted as having a 3 hr max.
As others have said, you can leave a note to contact you if the charger is needed. Personally, depending on where I work, I would try and get to know the people and discuss the use of the charger with them... or at least those that want to discuss it. I assume the charger is primarily used by people at work, but that could be a bad assumption on my part. Like, if you work somewhere like a hotel that has destination chargers, that'd be a different story.

Chris