Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Etiquette!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The easiest way to deal with the Destination Charger issue would be through idle fees. Unfortunately, these are not yet supported for the TMC.

It's too easy to set charge speed in the car so that it is slowly charging during your entire visit. It would have to be more like Superchargers where the charging rate is determined automatically.

And as previously mentioned, if charging completes at 3AM who's going to be OK with having to move their car?

The actual easier solution is to provide more destination chargers. If EVs truly are the future, places like interstate restaurants, hotels, and parking garages, will have to have dozens of charging stalls. In fact, most parking spaces will need to have a charging cable in reach. That doesn't mean a charging cable for every parking space - one cable could/should be able to reach four parking spaces if positioned in the center of the four, but having 20+ charging cables at a Cracker Barrel is just an obvious path.

(and also covering the parking lot with solar panels)

Reactions: Johnny Vector
It's too easy to set charge speed in the car so that it is slowly charging during your entire visit.
Just establish a maximum window allowed, say 6-hours.
And as previously mentioned, if charging completes at 3AM

Agree, but easy to deal with, just exclude say 11 pm to 7 am, for example.

Yes we can come up with all kinds of ways to game the system, and yes more destination chargers are the best option. Would you be willing to pay to use them? That might also be a good way to enforce etiquette.

Just establish a maximum window allowed, say 6-hours.

Agree, but easy to deal with, just exclude say 11 pm to 7 am, for example.

Yes we can come up with all kinds of ways to game the system, and yes more destination chargers are the best option. Would you be willing to pay to use them? That might also be a good way to enforce etiquette.

Yes I'd pay to use them but not at DC fast charge costs. Those are upwards of $0.35/kwh these days, when electricity is less than $0.10/kwh. I don't know how to make it viable, though.

Those are upwards of $0.35/kwh these days, when electricity is less than $0.10/kwh. I don't know how to make it viable, though.

Commerical power rates are much higher than residential. And then there is the cost of the equipment, installation, maintenance, etc. Expecting to pay close to residential rates is simply not realistic. Just by way of an approach, if they charge say $2.50/hour that is about $0.25/kW and perhaps will prevent someone from leaving their car on charge all day long, when not charging.

HAHA! As far as I'm concerned, this is why Destination Chargers aren't a desirable option. NO ONE is willing to get up in the middle of the night to unplug and MOVE their car, and for sure, no one is waiting there at 3:00am to plug in.
For this reason, I don't even bother planning for a Destination Charger. Destination Chargers are NOT convenient, and are a risky option.
TomServo: does this behavior make you a bad person???? If I pull in at 3 am, exhausted, and look for my (promised?) Destination Charger, and your car is fully charged filling a spot, I'll call a tow truck to make space for me. (jk, of course! That would make BOTH of us BAD people!)
Early March this year I was plugged into one of the destination chargers at the Doubletree Hilton in Durango CO. Hit 90% about 1am and I went out and moved it. Sure enough about 20 minutes later a model 3 backed into the spot. I wouldn't set an alarm to go do this but I was still awake so why not.

Early March this year I was plugged into one of the destination chargers at the Doubletree Hilton in Durango CO. Hit 90% about 1am and I went out and moved it. Sure enough about 20 minutes later a model 3 backed into the spot. I wouldn't set an alarm to go do this but I was still awake so why not.

Four total EV plugs - looks like they could probably double that, considering it's a tourist destination with no Superchargers nearby.

I just had a great idea for the shared V2 charger issue. Why not have the car present information on the screen?

"You have plugged into a V2 Supercharger which shares charging hardware between two stalls. The other stall is also occupied. This means two cars are sharing the same supply power. In the future check for a numbered stall which does not have another car charging on the same number."

Or better yet, have the car tell you which stall to park at on approach.

"The V2 Supercharger location you are navigating to has vehicles charging already. Please park in stall 3B."

In the event of all V2 charging units being active it could calculate which one will be "unshared" the soonest and recommend starting your charge on that shared stall. Heck, the other car might be nearing completion anyway and already be reduced rate so you won't effect their charge session and likely have improved initial charge rate yourself.

Tesla has all the information - they just need to make use of it.

Reactions: frankvb