Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you arrive at one open charger in the only designated EV stall but there is another EV car parked in a regular stall with their charging port open (no one inside) Is there such thing as a EV waiting line in this case?

If you arrive at one open charger in the only designated EV stall but there is another EV car parked in a regular stall with their charging port open (no one inside) Is there such thing as a EV waiting line in this case?
I agree with @Ken_Y. Simply No. I think the natural thing to do is sort of like finding a $5 bill on the ground. You pick it up, look around to see if you see anyone walking away and to ask if "is this yours" or maybe "are you waiting to charge"? No answer? Plug in. If you are going to hang around close by, might find yourself explaining to that waiting owner that you were already here and helped yourself to a loose connector not knowing when they were going to be back. If you are extremely polite, you might think to stop your charge and offer to them. I think everyone would probably automatically think to do this, if for no other reason that to avoid a possible bad scene. Of course my scenario presumes no one is in a hurry. Like Ken_Y said, No. :)

Upvote 0
On the subject of charging etiquette, it concerns me are EVs that use the Volta chargers, but leave their cars plugged in long after the free two-hour charging has ended. I understand that you are not going to walk out in the middle of a movie to unplug and move your EV, but I believe that many people could easily unplug and move, but don't. Is there anything that can be done to encourage EV owners to unplug and move their cars after they stop charging?

Upvote 0
Making them pay would be a great solution! Volta might like the idea, as they could make some money this way. I would have the chargers continue charging after two hours but automatically start charging $10 per hour. For this to work, car owners would only be able to initiate free charging if they used a credit card at the charging station or had already set up payment through their website.

Upvote 0
Wow, That's inspiring. That was very considerate of you for your action. In his behalf, thank you. I suspect he/she would thank you too, if they knew how to contact you. I will watch for the same situation and try to mirror what you did.

Since this is a charging etiquette. From your low post count, I guess you are new to owning a Tesla? I hope I am wrong for your sake, but its been too common for a very long time at public chargers for non-Tesla owners to unplug Teslas seen charging. A few have been caught/seen. Of course no one can do anything/does anything to those folks. But its too common. Just so you know.

Upvote 0