Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that the Volt will sound an alarm if you unplug it.

It can, but there is a setting for the alarm, so you just don't know.
I like the idea of little cards or something to display how the owner feels about that.
However, out here in MN free chargers are rare. There are a couple, but I would say 90% of them charge. We also have a lot fewer EVs and as such, I have never seen charge stations full (ICED, yes, but not full of plug ins).

They should have left a note with contact info, so you could have called them. I think if you unplug a Volt, it makes all sorts of unhappy noises. But if it didn't, I'd prob unplug for 10 minutes and then stay there with the car, explaining if the owners came back.

(For those new to EVs, many of us keep preprinted notes in the car, saying 'happy to share, please call my cell at xxx'. I leave the note near the plug, so anyone looking to charge will be sure to see it before unplugging me.)

Was there another charger between Atascadero and your house?

No other charger!

I say it's totally OK to unplug and charge your carfor a while as long as you're there and plug the other car back in as you. Here on Norway though, a lot of people use pad locks on the J1772 plug, so no unplugging there. Padlock goes where the blue arrow points.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350941724.338958.jpg
and then it looks like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350941763.752106.jpg

The reason for this is mainly that our public "charging stations" are merely regular 16A/230V oulets in a housing. For this reason people plug their own UMCs (to use Tesla language) in the outlets, and you don't want people stealing it!

Here is a typical example from Oslo (from a news story about a Norwegian celebrity who got a parking fine even though she shouldn't have, the car is an Opel Ampere which is the same as a Volt):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350942264.015465.jpg

That looks like a Nissan Leaf EVSE

All the ones I see commonly here look the same to me. Either it's "the triplets" (Mitsubishi iMiEV/Citroen C-Zero/Peugot Ion - the exact same car only different branding) or Nissan LEAF. Actually I think Panasonic makes the EVSE. And as you point out, it seems that's what Opel is providing their customers with as well...

The charging etiquette problem has been solved for almost 10 (!!!) years now.

EV Charging Protocol

Print one of those out with a paper clip and keep it in the glove box. Print a couple spares if you wish to distribute to other EV owners.

SDG&E had one recently as a promo with a wheel which indicated "ok to unplug" time - would be nice to make up a bunch of those as it'd be even easier to use than moving a paper clip.

FWIW - If I needed a charge and there was a PHEV charging, I would certainly unplug for 10 minutes if I needed that charge to get home and plug them back in when done.

Charging Etiquette?

What do you do when you pull up to a J1772 charging station and it is occupied by a non-charging EV? The EV is plugged in, but it is fully charged, not actively charging, and there is a space next to it. Do you unplug the other EV and charge yourself?

In some locales, it is a fine to be parked at an EV charging station and not actively charging, which applies to ICE and EV cars.

This is something I wonder about, especially when it's a plug-in hybrid, since they have an on board generator.

My thought for unplugging is you need to meet three criteria

1. You are sure the car is 100% charged (this is difficult with the Roadster because it only charges to 80% in standard charge and the owner may be using the OVMS to top off remotely or something when he gets closer to leaving)

2. You have absolutely no way of contacting the owner (shopping mall, office building without a receptionist, etc.)

3. You need the charge to get to your destination and there isn't another option within range.

Tough one. If I were in dire need, I'd probably unplug the other car, plug mine in, and then either leave a note letting them know what happened (and giving my contact information) or just stay with both cars (most likely what I'd do).

If I wasn't in dire need, I'd leave a note with my contact information asking them to call me as soon as they returned so that I could plug in.

If they are fully charged I'd unplug but beware this sets off an alarm on some cars.

If they aren't charged I'd leave them be. It's never ok to unplug a charging car even a plug in hybrid. We have no way of knowing how much fuel they have or need.

That at said I've posted a placard here and I know there's others to communicate to others if it's ok to unplug.

one big problem is that some people think that the charging spot is a parking spot as well and will park/charge while going to a dinner or a movie for a few hours and if their car is done charging the charging space is lost until they return
what needs to be done is for EV owners to learn the etiquette of the chargers, they should leave contact info on their dashboards so if they neglect to return to their cars after charging they can be contacted, thereby alleviate a flashpoint of having to unplug someone.

What prompted me to post was the other day I had time to kill and stopped by the airport where there are charging stations and noted that they all were occupied, but none were charging - the Blink stations indicated that charging was complete. If the owners had taken a flight, they might not be back for days.

With the law being that a car must be actively charging to be legally parked in an EV parking spot, what do you do? Of course, local law enforcement wouldn't resolve the issue. At most they would issue a sumkons - if they even cared. But the spot is still occupied.

I have heard of attended parking garages and hotels with valet parking that will plug in your EV and move it when it is done charging. But you won't find that at Kohl's or Ikea.

What prompted me to post was the other day I had time to kill and stopped by the airport where there are charging stations and noted that they all were occupied, but none were charging - the Blink stations indicated that charging was complete. If the owners had taken a flight, they might not be back for days.

St. Louis' spots are designed for this, at 200V/16A in the Intermediate lot. It's normal to see the cars fully charged after being plugged in. If this was in the short-term lot, I'd probably agree.

A modest proposal:

Newer superchargers tend to have a "drive in" stall. For those cars with a bike rack there is a simple way to charge: drive in. Backing in, I would think, is more difficult if not impossible. I never use the " drive in " unless it is the last stall. Since I don't have a rack, am I making a problem that doesn't exist? Is this another courtesy to extend to other Tesla drivers? Or, again, do I have too much time on my hands?