Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging EV Car on Camping Site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel so left out! I've never heard of a "Commando Connector" and never saw one being used, so I'm just out of it, I guess All I've ever done is to plug my cord into the 220 volt outlet and charge at 40 amps. Most places don't care, but I have offered to pay $10 once when I charged at an in-use campsite. The outlet was at an RV spot, and a 220 volt outlet was ten feet from the road, so I plugged in after getting permission from the RV owner, who unplugged so I could use the outlet. But this was years ago, before superchargers or destination chargers. Lately I just look at the center screen for any superchargers and go plug in there..
This is a UK based thread, so I’d imagine we use different connectors on this side of the pond. 16A commando sockets are the standard electric hook-up style for caravans and boats across Europe. There are also larger 32A and 3 phase versions, however they are less common.

Reactions: Adopado
Yes I have done it many times. That said you need to understand the plugs available as many campgrounds, especially State Parks do not have 240v charging so it can be slow.
You may not realise that you are posting to the UK/Ireland section of the forum. All camp sites in the UK have 230/240v. The plugs/connectors are different to US equipment.

I'd always ask the camp site in advance. Don't do what a guy near us did.. chucked his Model S on the commando connector, tripped out the mains then get threatened with ejection for taking the uncle micky. Aparently, the circuit wasn't 16amp, but run on significantly less. The owner said in a loud voice YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT, the electrics are for LIGHTING and small appliances like kettles.

I know there was an argument, and some threats of ejection.. It's put the real heebeejeebies on me when I go to a camp site just plugging in; once this car eventally arrives. BUT THEN, I have been curious and asked other sites, and they said I can't plug directly to the commando, but for an extra fee, they'll give me a site charging sticker for my car and allow me to suck up power through a constant granny charger. I can't ask more than that, it's fair I guess. The lesson learned was that the commando might not necessarily be charging compliant, but always ask. I did make the point of congratulating one camp site that actually had official EV fast charge facilities, and said I'd choose them just for that fact! (it made the office staff chuckle over the phone).

i was thinking just to plug into my extension lead (which is 16 A) but set it to 10 and leave it for a slow charge :D
When we were camping last August, there was this guy that literally patrolled to ensure no one was charging their EVs from the campsite hookups... Quite honestly I thought it was super petty.

Seem to hate people doing it, and I can't understand why. Perhaps they know an EV could out strip the extra £5 or £10 per night they charge for a hookup.

Once car arrives I'll make a point of only going to EV friendly campsites, hopefully it forces others to finally modify their policy.

One such area is Wales... Serious lack of charging options in some places. Charging at camp site is a definite selling point.

I find this very odd.

In the US, when you reserve a camp site with utility connections, you're typically free to use the utilities provided with that camp site as you see fit (Class A/B RV, camper, camper van, pop up, EV camping, etc.). I've camped in my vehicle numerous times during long trips, and I simply reserve a site, plug in, turn on camp mode and set the charge set point to 90% for the next day.

Here in the US, the electrical system of the campgrounds is required to meet the NEC (electrical code) - and if the plug for the camp site is a NEMA 14-50 (common), it is expected to handle a continuous 40A. It's a bad deal if a NEMA 14-50 plug is provided and the circuit wasn't designed to handle a continuous 40A per the code. The panels, breakers, and conductors are required to meet the receptacle needs for all of the camp sites - the transformer that serves the campgrounds is an entire other topic.

Sounds like campgrounds across the pond are either simply anti-EV, or they're all using undersized wiring and are fire hazards.

Reactions: haohaohao
undersized wiring and are fire hazards.
Most likely this !!

Anti-EV BECAUSE they're all using undersized wiring and are fire hazards.

I get the impression campsite hookups are more for LED lightbulbs than a Winnebago with fan heaters from what arguments I have witnessed 😆

The truth of it is that probably camp site owners have no idea how an EV charges, or that you can define limits / charge rate. These non educated owners just google 'charge rate' and go all out anti, and freak out knowing they skimped out when wiring the site.... As others have posted here, EV owners just shouldn't take the pizzle either, Tesla owners are probably the exception, know what they're doing (usually).

As a imminently EV owner, I'd probably now, only book / cherry pick a camp site that understands EVs and has adequate facility. Being able to charge from the camp site is absolutely a game changer in all circumstance for me 🙂

16A commando sockets are the standard electric hook-up style for caravans and boats across Europe

There are two diameters (blue) for single phase and I think the skinny one is the campsite one. The socket I have at home is the fatter one. Is the fatter one used on any public sites?

Tesla UK adapters available for:

42 mm 3.7 kW 16A
56 mm 7.4 kW 32A

I thought there was an adapter for 3-phase commando (Red) but the only thing I can find in Tesla Accessories is a complete corded cable (with Red Commando) for £525

There are two diameters (blue) for single phase and I think the skinny one is the campsite one. The socket I have at home is the fatter one. Is the fatter one used on any public sites?

Tesla UK adapters available for:

42 mm 3.7 kW 16A
56 mm 7.4 kW 32A

I thought there was an adapter for 3-phase commando (Red) but the only thing I can find in Tesla Accessories is a complete corded cable (with Red Commando) for £525
I don't think the granny chargers they supply now supprt 3-phase - that might be why the site is offering to sell you a whole new one that does.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I, by the way, actually bought this:

its an extension lead. what it has - is a commando on the one end and regular 3 pins on another + usbs
I have a portable camping fridge which I run off the 3 pin + phone chargers, but I would plug granny charger as well :)

p.s. "small appliances like kettle" is about 2 kw beasts :)
Ha! I think I may have exactly the same one as you... probably spotted in Aldi to! It's brilliant, and the trip switches work!

Interested to know if the Tesla granny trips it out though, probably have to dabble with the amps car end if it does..

👍

The 3 phase red commando only works with the version 1 of the UMC (granny charge point). All cars for the past several years have been supplied with the version 2 UMC which is single phase only. As you say, you can get 2 sizes of commando connector: The smaller is 16amp and the larger one 32amp but both single phase. I would be surprised if any camp sites offer larger 32amp for hook-ups but I could be wrong as I'm not familiar with campsites. I don't think I've even ever seen a red 3 phase commando outlet ... presumably they're in some industrial premises.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It’s a funny situation this. I did laugh at the example of the campsite bloke checking for car charging.

I kind of get it, but on the other hand, you pay for the pitch and the leccy so why shouldn’t you use what you want? You might have one pitch using multiple heaters all night and the next one a light and a phone to charge. There will always be this variance of extremes. Just to say ‘no’ to a car charging is extremely mean. Surely we are all trying to support getting around the countryside without spewing out emissions. Campsites are in a great position to embrace this.

If I was told off for charging my car on a campsite, I would plug in loads of heaters all night instead. Even in summer. But I’m an arsehole.

• Funny
Reactions: Snowy77
It’s a funny situation this. I did laugh at the example of the campsite bloke checking for car charging.

I kind of get it, but on the other hand, you pay for the pitch and the leccy so why shouldn’t you use what you want? You might have one pitch using multiple heaters all night and the next one a light and a phone to charge. There will always be this variance of extremes. Just to say ‘no’ to a car charging is extremely mean. Surely we are all trying to support getting around the countryside without spewing out emissions. Campsites are in a great position to embrace this.

If I was told off for charging my car on a campsite, I would plug in loads of heaters all night instead. Even in summer. But I’m an arsehole.
Let’s be fair here though, you pay for your pitch on the understanding that you will use low power appliances like small heaters and travel kettles etc.

Charging a 60kw electric car at least once is way beyond the expected usage even if their system can cope with the load.

Let’s be fair here though, you pay for your pitch on the understanding that you will use low power appliances like small heaters and travel kettles etc.

Charging a 60kw electric car at least once is way beyond the expected usage even if their system can cope with the load.
You're right though, back in the day there were no such thing as tent hook up points.. The industry is really slow to get with the times :D

Virtually all sites I have spoken to are against hooking up directly to the commando, however, the more liberal and EV aware say their electrics can support the granny charging, but they do charge extra for this. One said they give you a PASS that you put on the dash so if spotted charging your EV you're golden. Another site had a couple of 11kw chargers to use (book in to use).

Still preferable to petrol though, and a perk of an EV!

I'd always ask the camp site in advance. Don't do what a guy near us did.. chucked his Model S on the commando connector, tripped out the mains then get threatened with ejection for taking the uncle micky. Aparently, the circuit wasn't 16amp, but run on significantly less. The owner said in a loud voice YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT, the electrics are for LIGHTING and small appliances like kettles.

I know there was an argument, and some threats of ejection.. It's put the real heebeejeebies on me when I go to a camp site just plugging in; once this car eventally arrives. BUT THEN, I have been curious and asked other sites, and they said I can't plug directly to the commando, but for an extra fee, they'll give me a site charging sticker for my car and allow me to suck up power through a constant granny charger. I can't ask more than that, it's fair I guess. The lesson learned was that the commando might not necessarily be charging compliant, but always ask. I did make the point of congratulating one camp site that actually had official EV fast charge facilities, and said I'd choose them just for that fact! (it made the office staff chuckle over the phone).
completely agree, can't go wrong with asking.

Yes but a trailer full of low power appliances. Some setups are ridiculous. I generally don’t use hook up at all.

Hopefully campsites will start to embrace electric cars rather then seeing them as an issue. Charge more for ICE perhaps