Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Every Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

New Model Y owner here >

I have a question is it safe to charge the Model Y every day, I usually charge to 75% for me to get to work and when I get back home its at 59%
Congrats on your Model Y! We love ours.

Yes, charging daily to 75% is good. You'll get lots of opinions. It hard to sort out opinions from facts.

My current daily routine is to charge to 60% at 4:30 every morning before my work commute. I get home with just over 40%. I just don't need anymore than 60%. Before a road trip, I usually charge to 80%. Due to the spacing of Superchargers on I-10 in Florida, charging to 90% or higher does little for me.

I've settled into this routine and have about 18,000 miles in 9 months.

According to 2022.16 Model Y Owner's Manual:
"The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

My car is plugged in all the time in my garage when I'm not using it. Charge limit is set to 90% which was where it was set when I took delivery. My odometer is at 4,125 miles. Using the formula from the following post, my current battery capacity is 79kWh. Also, when charged to 90% my range shows as anywhere from 295-297 miles, which extrapolates to 327-300 miles for a 100% charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rforsee
According to 2022.16 Model Y Owner's Manual:
"The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

This is what I do. I think it's a good habit.
My car is plugged in all the time in my garage when I'm not using it. Charge limit is set to 90% which was where it was set when I took delivery.

On the charging car menu graphic drawing, Tesla shows a range of 50% to 90% for daily use. I take that to mean, charge up to 90%, if you need that much ... otherwise, stay at the lower end of the range. The lower end must be less degrading on the battery, or the manual would say, always charge to 90%. It doesn't say that. How much difference does it make? Who knows.

I charge to 60% daily and return home with 40%. It works for me.

Reactions: Benito1283
Although I’ve read articles about Li-ion battery degradation in general, I haven’t really seen anything that definitively states that keeping a lower state of charge (<90%) makes a meaningful difference in increasing long term Tesla battery capacity.

If your joy is doing everything you can to minimize battery degradation, that’s cool. I enjoy always having a ”full” 90% charge and the convenience of not worrying about remembering to up the charge level when I want to go someplace further away than normal. If it costs me an extra percentage point or two of battery capacity in the long run, so be it.

Here’s the best article that I’ve found on the subject that combines general Li-ion battery research with Tesla’s official stance, Elon Musk and Jeff Dahn’s statements, and real-world examples:

If your joy is doing everything you can to minimize battery degradation, that’s cool. I enjoy always having a ”full” 90% charge and the convenience of not worrying about remembering to up the charge level when I want to go someplace further away than normal. If it costs me an extra percentage point or two of battery capacity in the long run, so be it.

This sums it up very nicely.

The most important thing is to relax and enjoy the car.

Reactions: ajstan