Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging fan keeps running through the night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been happening recently to my wife’s 2013 S60. We have the charge set to 80%. In the morning, after being plugged in all night, the cooling fan is still running. Also the charge page indicates there is 15 minutes left to charge. It has been a couple of years since we have charged her car tp 100%, so I have it charging to 100% now.

I have searched the forum with no results. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I charged to 100%. The range showed 194 miles. My wife plugged into a supercharger in Gainsville and it would only charge at 38kw with a 60% charge. We plugged to one of our HPWCs this afternoon. Tonight, it only had added 70 miles range in 4 hours. Then, I noticed with a 30amp draw at 231V, it was only add 18mi/hr. It should be around 24 mi/hr. I am concerned this loss is due to heat, possibly from some cells going bad.
As a precaution, I stopped charging and moved the car outside, just in case there may be a thermal runaway. I am sure I am being overly cautious, but that is my nature.
I am on hold with Tesla right now. I will report on what they say.

Attachments

• F15466E6-2F14-44CA-93C9-B4F4CDA0DAE4.jpeg
    F15466E6-2F14-44CA-93C9-B4F4CDA0DAE4.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 65
During those humid/warm days, all our EV cars would have their fans ON when I charged them.

I usually opened the garage door when the outside temperature was cooler, for a good 15-30 minutes or, so to air it out. When the garage cooled down, the fans would be OFF by themselves.

During those humid/warm days, all our EV cars would have their fans ON when I charged them.

I usually opened the garage door when the outside temperature was cooler, for a good 15-30 minutes or, so to air it out. When the garage cooled down, the fans would be OFF by themselves.
I agree, but 10 hours of charging is not normal. The fans should not be running the next morning. I have a 3 in the garage next to the S and the fans on the 3 were not running.

It looks like charging to 100% a couple of times did the trick. Charging rate returned to normal and it stopped charging. The fans were not running this morning. It looks like these batteries need to be charged to 100% every once in a while. 80% is showing 175 miles range and 100% is showing 194.