Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging for terraced houses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These do look perfect for so many of us that live in terrace houses. I have sent to my local council (Richmond) some weeks ago but had no response back from them
Have some public liability cover on your home insurance

In todays ‘blame and claim’ culture you can’t ever be sure someone will not try and sue you if they tripped and hurt themselves.

what about to install a simple covered drain with perforated grate on top?
That would be more hassele to lift/replace it, but probably more "sturdy"? depending on the lenght of pavement obviously?
View attachment 832553
Again just be careful with this sort of thing - officialdom is a funny thing - council wouldn’t look kindly if they found out this was installed into the pavement (a) without permission (b) by a non street works approved contractor. Again it’s all about arse covering should something go tits up…

Anyone considering what direction to take may find this guidance from Hampshire County Council useful - they are fairly pro EV. Obviously, your own local authority needs to give approval, but I hope that this gives some insight into local authority thinking.

Its been around for quite some time so do not know if its been kept up to date/is current thinking, but I think a useful local authority perspective none the less.

Reactions: Adopado
Some car insurance will cover it too, rather than home insurance. Taken from my policy booklet from Privilege (aka Direct Line but on comparison sites)

Are my electric car’s charging cables covered?
Your home charger and charging cables are considered an accessory to your car. This means they’re covered under ‘Section 2: Fire and theft’ or ‘Section 4: Accidental damage’ of your policy.

You’re also covered for any accidents to others involving your charging cables when they are attached to your car. For example, someone tripping over your cable, as long as you have taken due care to prevent such an accident.

Reactions: Sean.
I would also imagine this would be a relatively simple and cheap thing to install too. Ground workers could have the channel cut and installed in less than an hour - so I’d guess a couple of hundred quid. Such a shame councils aren’t jumping on solutions like this to help the transition.

Some car insurance will cover it too, rather than home insurance. Taken from my policy booklet from Privilege (aka Direct Line but on comparison sites)
Interesting carve-out by Admiral on this...hmmm

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 23.04.34.png