Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging for terraced houses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Podium has 7kW chargers? I thought it was just Charlotte Street and Southgate.

I'm over in Timsbury which is basically a wasteland as far as rapid chargers goes. I have the same options as you, or further. I used to use the Bailbrook one a few times in my previous EV, but always felt a bit self-conscious about pitching up just to charge. But, if you go inside and get food or drink you might as well be driving an ICE - pricey!

As you know parking is at a premium in Bath so BANES will need to pull their finger out and think about how they're going to standardise on street charging before too long.

The Podium has 7kW chargers? I thought it was just Charlotte Street and Southgate.

I'm over in Timsbury which is basically a wasteland as far as rapid chargers goes. I have the same options as you, or further. I used to use the Bailbrook one a few times in my previous EV, but always felt a bit self-conscious about pitching up just to charge. But, if you go inside and get food or drink you might as well be driving an ICE - pricey!

As you know parking is at a premium in Bath so BANES will need to pull their finger out and think about how they're going to standardise on street charging before too long.
They do indeed!

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 11.11.00.png

Yup, it's funny for a council that strives to be green, they don't seem to do much in helping the transition to/support for EV. Guess EVs still fall under their "anti-car" agenda ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I'm in London with no off street parking. It has been fine really. I charge maybe once a week from a local Connected Kerb point 3 mins walk away. 19p/KwH eco charging is pretty reasonable too.

My biggest frustration is watching a full charge ebb-away with sentry mode on all week. I wish sentry mode hadn't have been an afterthought by Tesla and could have been made more efficient.

Reactions: pow216
I'm in London with no off street parking. It has been fine really. I charge maybe once a week from a local Connected Kerb point 3 mins walk away. 19p/KwH eco charging is pretty reasonable too.

My biggest frustration is watching a full charge ebb-away with sentry mode on all week. I wish sentry mode hadn't have been an afterthought by Tesla and could have been made more efficient.

not ideal but if you need an equivalent of sentry/parking mode you may be better served with a separate dashcam fed from a permanently live 12v line - draw on that should be tiny and unlike an ICE you shouldn't risk running down the 12v as it'll auto-topup from the main battery

Reactions: Adopado
Only problem with that is that it wouldn't effectively capture stuff happening down the sides of the car, but I suppose anything that does happen (e.g. a break in) they'd probably have a mask and hoodie on anyway. :(

I live in a Victorian terrace, with no off street parking and have a charge point fitted, the difference for me is that the road/path outside our house has never been adopted by the council (Council did offer to adopt years ago, but the street voted to decline the offer as we would lose our parking spaces outside our house and we live fairly close to a train station). As I effectively own/and are responsible for the upkeep of the road/path outside my house I was going to get a cable gully installed but in the end opted to adopt the same approach @Fursty Ferret suggests and so have a hi vis cable protector across the path with a warning trip hazard sign when I am charging. If any one trips and wants to claim I have also done a little H&S risk assessment detailing how I have mitigated any trip hazards.

I’m in the same position. Terrace house in London. There is a lamppost charger a 5 min walk away with a cluster of electric cars around it! 28p/kWh. Downside is that the spot is permit holders only so can be “iced”.
And it’s Only 4.8kwh charger. I’ve asked the council for more.

Also there are public 7kwh chargers available

I’m in the same position. Terrace house in London. There is a lamppost charger a 5 min walk away with a cluster of electric cars around it! 28p/kWh. Downside is that the spot is permit holders only so can be “iced”.
And it’s Only 4.8kwh charger. I’ve asked the council for more.

Also there are public 7kwh chargers available
they should have at least 4.8 kw on every lamp post - technology is there + revenue for the councils. deal imho

Realistically I can't see any way that the Govt is going to be in a good enough place to meet the 2030 deadline. 8 years sounds like a lot, but it's not really, especially when the Govt isn't even particularly focused on it.

Even new build estates aren't being built with roadside charging in mind, there's no agreed standard for how its going to be done (lamp post? kerbside? etc). I believe developers now have to install a charge point but I suspect this will be a box ticking exercise with no consideration given for how far away the car would actually be from this point, etc.
Developers are crafty devils. I know one who built 6 semis, each with a single garage. All the garages were 6 feet wide !!

Around a quarter of us living in the UK live in terraced houses and with the government's 2030 ban on the sale of ICE cars fast approaching, they are going to need to step up the roll out of proper charging infrastructure / solutions for those of us without access to off-street parking. I myself am just about to move into a victorian terrace and have a Model Y on the way.

I've heard of companies like Green Mole and others providing under-kerb solutions, people who just solely use Superchargers & public charing and even some local authorities allowing residents to run cable & protectors over pavements...

Would be interested to hear who is in a similar position and what their solution is?
Superchargers cost two or three times “home” charging… so be aware of the drawbacks.

Can you charge at your office ?

On the lamp post charging; I recall when I lived in Bolton 10 years ago, the local authority spent a fortune to remove all the concrete street lamps which were right at the kerb side, as they were seen as a hazard. They replaced them with steel ones set back at the full width of the footpath.

Time for another re-think.

There's an unfinished new development that I drive past in Swindon, that has these Connected Kerb chargers in each parking space outside the houses. Seems like a good idea.

It seems like, in cities at least, the push is for all new builds to be medium density housing (ie no drives), so something like this is needed.

Reactions: Durzel
I passed some of these chargers today. Interesting concept. Quite small chargers placed in the car park of a tower block.

well, it's obvious, that tech and solutions are there already. all we need now - is Councils to start pulling thumbs off their arses and start implementing street by street, car park by car park.

hell, I just wonder what stops each and every (ok, almost every) petrol station to start investing in the EV charging? Like in Netherlands - you go to almost any regular petrol station and you have chargers, like on the right in this one Google Maps

Overall, petrol stations will be phasing out petrol pumps in next 20 years anyway, and instead of 8 pumps only 4 max will remain. why not to start investing now?