Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging for terraced houses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what we have all around Quebec. theres thousands of them and they cost $1CAD/hour or $2.50/session. It seems like the only thing stopping the UK from doing this is the councils.

1656778267090.jpeg

It's helpful if central government can take a lead ... facilitating Councils to make the provision. In Scotland the first stage worked very effectively by establishing ChargePlaceScotland ... at one point probably one of the most comprehensive national networks in the world. (Though not for terraced housing) Unfortunately the cash to keep it going has meant that maintenance and repair of the now ageing charge points puts a strain on cash strapped authorities so quality is patchy nowadays.

"ChargePlace Scotland is Scotland’s national Electric Vehicle (EV) charging network. Owned and developed by the Scottish Government, it has been developed through public grant funding of Local Authorities and other organisations to install charge points across Scotland from Shetland to the Scottish borders. The network has grown from 55 public charge points in 2013 to over 2,000 in 2021."

Reactions: init6
It's helpful if central government can take a lead ... facilitating Councils to make the provision. In Scotland the first stage worked very effectively by establishing ChargePlaceScotland ... at one point probably one of the most comprehensive national networks in the world. (Though not for terraced housing) Unfortunately the cash to keep it going has meant that maintenance and repair of the now ageing charge points puts a strain on cash strapped authorities so quality is patchy nowadays.

"ChargePlace Scotland is Scotland’s national Electric Vehicle (EV) charging network. Owned and developed by the Scottish Government, it has been developed through public grant funding of Local Authorities and other organisations to install charge points across Scotland from Shetland to the Scottish borders. The network has grown from 55 public charge points in 2013 to over 2,000 in 2021."
Wow
I can’t believe you are excited about government allocating resources to assist here !
Imagine how inefficient it was.
The poor taxpayers on the hook for some local authority vanity scheme that soon fell into disrepair? Imagine my surprise

Reactions: btc1k
hell, I just wonder what stops each and every (ok, almost every) petrol station to start investing in the EV charging? Like in Netherlands - you go to almost any regular petrol station and you have chargers, like on the right in this one Google Maps

I'm sure I've read somewhere that's what Shell are doing, but it's going to take a long time to roll out everywhere.

What I can't understand is why the tiered charging is priced so that faster charges cost more money - surely a forecourt wants people out of the way as fast as possible? If that's the case, you want faster charges to be cheaper to encourage quick turn-around.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that's what Shell are doing, but it's going to take a long time to roll out everywhere.

What I can't understand is why the tiered charging is priced so that faster charges cost more money - surely a forecourt wants people out of the way as fast as possible? If that's the case, you want faster charges to be cheaper to encourage quick turn-around.
In a similar vein, you expect a discount when buying stuff in bulk so why shouldn't you get a discounted kWh cost on a supercharger?
Doesn't work that way does it? :(

Wow
I can’t believe you are excited about government allocating resources to assist here !
The poor taxpayers on the hook for some local authority vanity scheme that soon fell into disrepair? Imagine my surprise
Oh I forgot… every other commercial initiative to provide charging has been a wonderful success from start to finish … eh, no. Forget about ideology. Choose the best approach for the circumstances.

The bottom line is that Scotland has had far better General charging coverage due to ChargePlaceScotland. Look at Wales and compare. There would never be sufficient commercial imperative to provide this service in lightly populated areas. It’s the same reason rural areas don’t have decent broadband.

Reactions: Avendit and init6
I'm not sure if this is a helpful addition to the conversation or not.
We live in a Victorian street with on-street parking down both sides and we were really unsure about whether charging at home would work. We had backup plans of nearby chargers etc. The reality for us is that we've not had to use those backups once in 3 1/2 months of ownership. The parking on our road is tight but I can usually get a space somewhere so it doesn't sound as bad as some others in this thread.
We have had a home charging point installed on the front of the house. Electrician wasn't too bothered about any rules regarding it not facing the road.
We bought a (very expensive) 20m charging cable which means I can get to 5 or 6 different car parking spaces on our side of the road.
We keep an eye out if anyone moves and nab a space for overnight charging whenever possible.
We run the cable across the pavement with a cover which I understand is fine (limited research) (and are insured through car insurance - again, limited research but enough to put me at ease)
The cable then runs up the gutter.
Our neighbors are also lovely so a couple of times we've moved cars around to get a space we need and they try and leave our space whenever they can. This is mainly to get cheap overnight charging (max about 40% per night) rather than because we were completely desperate.
Our experience has been fine. Probably quite a unique situation but wanted to reassure some people who are thinking about it that it's not as bad as you might think and is do-able.
That's not to say that councils and gvnmnt don't need to sort this out in the long term!

Reactions: Adopado and init6
Oh I forgot… every other commercial initiative to provide charging has been a wonderful success from start to finish … eh, no. Forget about ideology. Choose the best approach for the circumstances.

The bottom line is that Scotland has had far better General charging coverage due to ChargePlaceScotland. Look at Wales and compare. There would never be sufficient commercial imperative to provide this service in lightly populated areas. It’s the same reason rural areas don’t have decent broadband.
I like what Scotland did but I think they kept it free/subsidised too long when the revenue could have been used to maintain the network. Free also tends to encourage people to use it instead of home charging there by blocking chargers for people who actually need them.
I think there is also an issue that having a large subsidised network would have discouraged other companies from building charge points because who wants to compete with free?
Having said that if Scotland waited for building charge points in the highlands to be economic enough for companies to do it they would still be waiting now the same way Wales is.

Urban areas have always subsidised rural areas There is no money being made on providing electricity, postal services, Internet etc to the highlands but govt makes companies do it as part of their rights to operate in the profitable areas. We don't have a way to do that with charging right now as far as I can see and until we do either Govt does it or it wont happen.

One plus for Chargeplace Scotland I've replied solely on it for nearly 3 years, when they get broken it does take ages to get them fixed but with a little effort it does work. I would say it's one of the few good things that the Devolved SNP Government have done but that's Politics.

Wow
I guess you would be in favour of this plan then:
ban free chargers unless there is a free petrol / diesel pump provided as well 😂

These do look perfect for so many of us that live in terrace houses. I have sent to my local council (Richmond) some weeks ago but had no response back from them
Unless a pedestrian is wearing high heels, in which case it would be a hazard. The same idea with a flip-up lid the length of the trough would be fine so long as it remains secure when someone steps on it. Or there are plenty of covered drainage channels that could do the same job.

Unless a pedestrian is wearing high heels, in which case it would be a hazard. The same idea with a flip-up lid the length of the trough would be fine so long as it remains secure when someone steps on it. Or there are plenty of covered drainage channels that could do the same job.
what about to install a simple covered drain with perforated grate on top?
That would be more hassele to lift/replace it, but probably more "sturdy"? depending on the lenght of pavement obviously?
1658762778559.png

what about to install a simple covered drain with perforated grate on top?
That would be more hassele to lift/replace it, but probably more "sturdy"? depending on the lenght of pavement obviously?
View attachment 832553
You do see these kind of drains across pavements already from time to time ... and everyone seems to manage OK. So long as the grill is easy to pull out. I bet there are people who have already installed exactly that ... I bet nobody would bat an eye unless a rabid neighbour got a bee in their bonnet.

The absolute simplest answer is for councils to install (upon request) a gully with a metal or plastic lid flap from houseside of pavement to kerb that allows people to route a cable when charging...

Providing the car can park on the roadside outside the home (and you can park your car next to your home)

Of course lamppost charging and everything else should be a thing... But I think the above suggestion would give a simple solution for many people......

Not perfect clearly but simple enough