Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging for weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla Model 3 LR owner. Just installed NEMA 14-50. Works great. But if I go away for a few weeks and need to leave car in garage charging, should I use the NEMA 14-50 or would it it better or safer in any way to switch to low voltage (i.e., slow) home plug of 110volts 15 Amp?

New Tesla Model 3 LR owner. Just installed NEMA 14-50. Works great. But if I go away for a few weeks and need to leave car in garage charging, should I use the NEMA 14-50 or would it it better or safer in any way to switch to low voltage (i.e., slow) home plug of 110volts 15 Amp?

Echo what @Rocky_H mentions. Additionally, what many do in that proposed situation, is plug the car into the 14-50, but move the charging slider down to 50-60% and then go enjoy your trip. The car will slowly drain until it gets to that midpoint, then will charge itself to maintaim within about 3-4% of that set percentage.

You could leave the car set at 50% and plugged in for winter storage (for example), and it would be perfectly fine (on the battery). You might eventually get flat spots on your tires, but your battery would be fine.