Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging frequency and battery life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's been missed here is that driving under 50% is more stressful to the battery than driving between 90% and 50%. (How much more is open to question but then so is the stress difference between charging to 50% or charging to 90%, neither the driving nor the charging will be zero). The first two years I charged to 80% and saw the range go down. The second two I charged to 90% and saw it go back up. I charge to 100% before a trip, but leave shortly after the charging stops (or sometimes before charging stops depending upon how good I've timed it). This also ensures the the balancing circuits activate.

A larger battery will always be stressed less than a smaller battery for any given operation condition.

After over four years and 94K miles, as best I can tell, there is less than 3% difference from new. In other words, it's not really worth stressing over because of Tesla's good battery management system. Just don't leave it sit at very high or very low SOC and plug it in daily and your battery will be fine.

My brother is an engineer and ownes a Tesla. I asked him about battery degrading, specifically fast charging, and full charging. Here is what he wrote:

"Tesla battery technology is state of the art. My car has over 7000 cells with computer control over the which are charged first and which are discharged first to preserve battery life. In addition, the electric motors are a/c rather than dc to provide max torque with minimum battery discharge."

What's been missed here is that driving under 50% is more stressful to the battery than driving between 90% and 50%. (How much more is open to question but then so is the stress difference between charging to 50% or charging to 90%, neither the driving nor the charging will be zero). The first two years I charged to 80% and saw the range go down. The second two I charged to 90% and saw it go back up. I charge to 100% before a trip, but leave shortly after the charging stops (or sometimes before charging stops depending upon how good I've timed it). This also ensures the the balancing circuits activate.

A larger battery will always be stressed less than a smaller battery for any given operation condition.

After over four years and 94K miles, as best I can tell, there is less than 3% difference from new. In other words, it's not really worth stressing over because of Tesla's good battery management system. Just don't leave it sit at very high or very low SOC and plug it in daily and your battery will be fine.

Can I ask a question? We are new owners as of July. My husband charged the battery to 100 % last night for our first road trip, and at 3 am it was charged. The problem is that I have to go to work this morning, and we cannot leave until at least 11. Is this really bad for the battery, should we drive it this morning? I take the train into work, so just driving it to work and back is not an option. Next time should we charge to 90% and then finish charging in the morning? Thanks.

Can I ask a question? We are new owners as of July. My husband charged the battery to 100 % last night for our first road trip, and at 3 am it was charged. The problem is that I have to go to work this morning, and we cannot leave until at least 11. Is this really bad for the battery, should we drive it this morning? I take the train into work, so just driving it to work and back is not an option. Next time should we charge to 90% and then finish charging in the morning? Thanks.

People worry way too much about this. If it was that bad for the battery to be charged to 100% that it would cause measurable damage in a single charge for a few hours, the system would lock people out from charging that high, or at least make you jump through hoops to do so.

Yes, it's best to charge to a lower level in your daily life. But don't panic over charging to 100% sometimes. It's not going to kill your battery pack. :) Charge to 100% when you might need it at 100%. Don't when you're sure you won't.

Tales from a Tesla Model S at 200k miles

Tl;dr: daily charges to 100%, after 200k they lost 6%. Don't even think about a few hours. The only reason to try and target the charging finish for right when you leave is that in the winter it can mean starting with a warm battery pack, saving a bit of power at the start of your trip.

Once is not going to hurt it that much. It's a goal to try to achieve, but if you don't make it, don't worry. Charge to 90% and finish in the morning is what I do, or I set the timer so that it finishes about the time I leave. But if you forget or have to leave it, not an issue. What you don't want to do is leave it at 100% for weeks.

Reactions: FarmerDave and BluX