TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging from Airco Heliwelder?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by rjpryan, Oct 25, 2015.

1. rjpryan

rjpryan Member

Any chance I could charge my Model S from this crazy thing? Will be visiting relatives for the holidays out-of-state who apparently have this in their garage. Looks like it may be the only high-voltage power source, and it is physically hardwired into the power system for the house.

The "reverse polarity" switch terrifies me. Has anyone tried using something like this?

Attached Files:

2. Thumper

Thumper Member

Short answer, NO ! It does produce DC current, but it is way too low voltage and there is no safety handshaking. Don't even think about it any more!

3. rjpryan

rjpryan Member

It does look like it has an AC mode...

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

5. Veggen

Veggen Member

Sounds like a great idea...
    ... if you want to weld your charging circuits. :scared:

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

The thing certainly has settings that will technically work (AC 230V, 40A), but I have no idea how you select those output options or what the actual output plug looks like. That thing looks terrifying!

I think you need to use J1772 to go above 40A, so that's not going to work. 230V/40A is pretty decent, but the risk of setting something incorrectly seems pretty high to me.

7. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

The output of this is either 40v AC or 30v DC... not going to work.
    However, the input is 208/240/480 volts AC so if you could find where it is plugged in and plug your car into that plug (you'd need to check to see what the plug is and make sure it's not a 480 volt circuit) then you could charge.

8. rjpryan

rjpryan Member

Thanks for the replies. Sadly, it's hard wired into the electrical system for the house, and I don't want to deal with that. I guess it's 120V charging for me! Good thing I have a few days to fill up...

9. tga

tga Active Member

Looks like that beast can pull over 100A on the AC line (see "Primary", above the power switch; below the breaker, right side). No wonder it's hardwired. No plug for you!