Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from Barrie to North Bay to Peterborough to Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within the next few weeks, I will be traveling across the US, and then heading across the Blue Water Bridge into Sarnia, on to the Toronto area, up the 400 to North Bay, then to Peterborough, back to Toronto, and then down to Windsor and back into Michigan, before heading back west. I am trying to scope out charging locations, but have not been entirely successful. I called a resort in North Bay that mentioned Tesla charging, but when I called and asked the front desk about charging my Tesla, he told me that I can plug any of my devices to charge in the room. (Yes, I'm serious!).
Are there any options that come to mind, aside from booking an RV spot and using my NEMA 14-50? I also have the J1772A, and am trying to get set up with the CHAdemo adapter, although I don't really know the best tack to take.I

I would also like the opportunity to talk with fellow Tesla owners in Ontario.

Scotty

S85, 10 months and 35,600 miles since delivery

Within the next few weeks, I will be traveling across the US, and then heading across the Blue Water Bridge into Sarnia, on to the Toronto area, up the 400 to North Bay, then to Peterborough, back to Toronto, and then down to Windsor and back into Michigan, before heading back west. I am trying to scope out charging locations, but have not been entirely successful. I called a resort in North Bay that mentioned Tesla charging, but when I called and asked the front desk about charging my Tesla, he told me that I can plug any of my devices to charge in the room. (Yes, I'm serious!).
Are there any options that come to mind, aside from booking an RV spot and using my NEMA 14-50? I also have the J1772A, and am trying to get set up with the CHAdemo adapter, although I don't really know the best tack to take.I

I would also like the opportunity to talk with fellow Tesla owners in Ontario.

Hi Scotty! Welcome to my neck of the woods!

I often drive from the Toronto area to the Chicago area to visit my daughter. In the past, with our ICE I would take the route through Sarnia/Port Huron, but charging options along that route are pretty weak. In the Tesla, I go via Windsor/Detroit. Not sure where you will be before Sarnia, but if you're coming across Michigan, you might be advised to come across nothern Indiana (a bit to the south) instead and come in to Ontario via Detroit/Windsor. I have found that I can Supercharge at Angola, IN then take I-69 north to US-12 and hit I-94 into Detroit to Ontario Hwy 401 to the Comber, ON Supercharger. From Comber, you can easily make it to the Woodstock, ON Supercharger. From Woodstock, you could easily make it to the Barrie, ON Supercharger allowing you to bypass Toronto (unless that is part of your trip plan). Barrie to North Bay is do-able, and there is a Best Western there with J1772 charging.

Supercharge.info and PlugShare are your friends for trip planning like this.

Just as a FYI, there is a new Tesla 80amp Charger at the Clarion in North Bay. They also have a 40 or 50 amp Sun Country. Also, at the Best Western in North Bay they have 48amp charger. Barrieto North Bay in an S85 is no problem in the Summer or Fall if you follow the rules and travel the speed limit with room to space. I do this quite often. North Bay to Peterborough most likely back through Barrie, then Barrie to Toronto Supercharger, then easily to Peterborough. There is a Best Western with a Sun Country charger in Peterborough. Last time I was in Peterborough they charged 5 dollars to charge. Look at the Sun Country site for their chargers.

Just as a FYI, there is a new Tesla 80amp Charger at the Clarion in North Bay. They also have a 40 or 50 amp Sun Country.

Awesome. Someone should get that on PlugShare (I don't like to add stations myself unless I actually verify the installation). It's not on Tesla's Destination Charger map either, but I have noticed that a few HPWCs don't show up there for some reason.

Hi Scotty! Welcome to my neck of the woods!

I often drive from the Toronto area to the Chicago area to visit my daughter. In the past, with our ICE I would take the route through Sarnia/Port Huron, but charging options along that route are pretty weak. In the Tesla, I go via Windsor/Detroit. Not sure where you will be before Sarnia, but if you're coming across Michigan, you might be advised to come across nothern Indiana (a bit to the south) instead and come in to Ontario via Detroit/Windsor. I have found that I can Supercharge at Angola, IN then take I-69 north to US-12 and hit I-94 into Detroit to Ontario Hwy 401 to the Comber, ON Supercharger. From Comber, you can easily make it to the Woodstock, ON Supercharger. From Woodstock, you could easily make it to the Barrie, ON Supercharger allowing you to bypass Toronto (unless that is part of your trip plan). Barrie to North Bay is do-able, and there is a Best Western there with J1772 charging.

Supercharge.info and PlugShare are your friends for trip planning like this.

Actually, I'm returning back to my origins, for a visit. Sarnia, North Bay and Peterborough are all places I've called home, before ending up in California. I'm seeing relatives in Flint, so the Blue Water Bridge is not only my route into Ontario, but family live in Wyoming (town, not state, for those wondering). Humber College and Trent University are in my past, so I'll be exploring distant (but familiar) stomping grounds.

OTOH, are there very many Tesla's running around Toronto? My affection towards electric vehicles probably partially stems from my father spending his career with Ontario Hydro (sure, in the old days). I wasn't kidding when I said what the desk person said about charging in the room. He had no idea that a Tesla was a car.

Scotty

OTOH, are there very many Tesla's running around Toronto?
Not a ton of them, especially compared to Cali. Other than my own I probably only see one other Model S per week - but if you go to some of the parking garages at the buildings downtown (Brookfield Place, First Canadian Place, etc) you can see several plugged into the chargers located there.

Well, it's nothing like California here regarding EV's, that's for sure!

That said, there are four Tesla's in a 2km radius from our home, and 20 total EV's with 4 personal plugshare points in that same radius. Two of my neighbours have solar panels on their roofs, I have solar in my backyard (for pool heat). Depends where you live. Other places in the Toronto area, not so much.

Well, it's nothing like California here regarding EV's, that's for sure!

That said, there are four Tesla's in a 2km radius from our home, and 20 total EV's with 4 personal plugshare points in that same radius. Two of my neighbours have solar panels on their roofs, I have solar in my backyard (for pool heat). Depends where you live. Other places in the Toronto area, not so much.
Last year I put pool heating tubes on my roof and this year I installed solar panels as part of the Ontario MicroFIT program - but it is taking Toronto Hydro forever to hook them up to the grid. After buying a drone I discovered that two of the homes within 500m of me also have solar panels - they must be new as I don't see them on Google maps. But I appear to be the only Tesla in the 'hood - I did see one other at a nearby home but I think it was just visiting.

Actually, I'm returning back to my origins, for a visit. Sarnia, North Bay and Peterborough are all places I've called home, before ending up in California. I'm seeing relatives in Flint, so the Blue Water Bridge is not only my route into Ontario, but family live in Wyoming (town, not state, for those wondering). Humber College and Trent University are in my past, so I'll be exploring distant (but familiar) stomping grounds.

I spent a bit of time in Peterborough myself, although it was during my college years, so I was really only there visiting parents on the odd weekend. It's a very nice town. Since you're hitting the Flint, Sarnia and Wyoming areas, coming in through Detroit is probably too far out of the way. You may have to look op PlugShare for HPWCs and higher power J1772 stations and plan around some longer stops. It's a fair hike from Sarnia along the 402 and 401 to get to Woodstock, but doable depending on your SOC when you leave. There is a high power J1772 station at a Best Western near London that could help.

OTOH, are there very many Tesla's running around Toronto? My affection towards electric vehicles probably partially stems from my father spending his career with Ontario Hydro (sure, in the old days). I wasn't kidding when I said what the desk person said about charging in the room. He had no idea that a Tesla was a car.

Contrary to some of the other remarks, I see quite a few Teslas around. Usually a couple every day on my commute. There is a parking lot downtown Toronto that I sometimes use with a bank of charging stations, and it is usually filled with Teslas. Certainly not like California, but I think the Greater Toronto Area probably has one of the highest concentrations in Canada.

I've spent a bit over 35 years in the electric utility industry here in Ontario myself. My longest stint (21 years) was with Toronto Hydro.

Just as a FYI, there is a new Tesla 80amp Charger at the Clarion in North Bay. They also have a 40 or 50 amp Sun Country. Also, at the Best Western in North Bay they have 48amp charger. Barrieto North Bay in an S85 is no problem in the Summer or Fall if you follow the rules and travel the speed limit with room to space. I do this quite often. North Bay to Peterborough most likely back through Barrie, then Barrie to Toronto Supercharger, then easily to Peterborough. There is a Best Western with a Sun Country charger in Peterborough. Last time I was in Peterborough they charged 5 dollars to charge. Look at the Sun Country site for their chargers.

Ive charged at the Peterborough Sun country Best Western quite a few times and never had to pay. It all depends on how nice you are to the clerk at the front desk. A good time to ask is when they are busy with checki ns or check outs. They'll just say yeah yeah its ok.