Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from electrical hook up in European campsites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

For my next European road trip, Im considering swapping my campervan for a model X, with the idea of sleeping in it.

My camper is small, with no toilet, so I'd only really be sacrificing the ability to stand up inside (under the pop-top), and having to cook outside, with no sink of my own. A bit of a sacrifice, but Im willing to do it for the sake of the cause of going electric (and having a much faster, better drive and the potential of air-conditioning when sleeping :))

This will be my first EV, so Im wondering what the reaction will be at campsites when I turn up in an EV and plug it into their electrical hook-up. Will I be welcomed/out-cast/charged a extra fee? And how much wattage can I draw from a typical campsite hook-up? I will be buying a UK tesla, if that makes any difference. In the past Ive always just rocked up, plugged my UK camper in, and never given much thought to it :) Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Hi all

For my next European road trip, Im considering swapping my campervan for a model X, with the idea of sleeping in it.

My camper is small, with no toilet, so I'd only really be sacrificing the ability to stand up inside (under the pop-top), and having to cook outside, with no sink of my own. A bit of a sacrifice, but Im willing to do it for the sake of the cause of going electric (and having a much faster, better drive and the potential of air-conditioning when sleeping :))

This will be my first EV, so Im wondering what the reaction will be at campsites when I turn up in an EV and plug it into their electrical hook-up. Will I be welcomed/out-cast/charged a extra fee? And how much wattage can I draw from a typical campsite hook-up? I will be buying a UK tesla, if that makes any difference. In the past Ive always just rocked up, plugged my UK camper in, and never given much thought to it :) Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan
You’ll have no issue at all at campsites with charging. They typically use the blue commando plugs so you’ll either need the adaptor from Tesla or what I use to allow me to charge anywhere in Europe:

https://www.juice-technology.com/juice-booster?lang=en

You might also like to take a look at the DreamCase:

Configurator 3.1 – Dreamcase

You’ll have no issue at all at campsites with charging. They typically use the blue commando plugs so you’ll either need the adaptor from Tesla or what I use to allow me to charge anywhere in Europe:

https://www.juice-technology.com/juice-booster?lang=en

You might also like to take a look at the DreamCase:

Configurator 3.1 – Dreamcase

Thanks. Sounds promising.

I was thinking of the dreamcase. Do you know which seating configuration it works best with - 5 or 7?

Cheers

Dan

I don’t own an X, sorry. However from what I’ve heard the 5 seater is best for camping as you can lay the seats flat.

apparently both the 5 & 7 seat arrangements can fold flat (it’s the 6 seater that can’t), but I haven’t spoke to anyone who has actually camped in an X, so this is all second hand information.

I will go to my nearest Tesla shop and have a proper look.