Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging to 90% keeps BMS calculations a little more accurate.
Shallow discharge and set points below 90% seem to lead to some drift in BMS capacity calculation which will sort itself out next time you discharge to below 10% and go back to 90+.
Voltage is pretty stable between 10-90% so the computer can measure charge level and calculated. At the top and bottom of charge levels voltage does change and the computer finds its place again.

Short version, stop worrying just enjoy the car.

Reactions: Matsayz
My BMS was all over the place the first 3-6 weeks that I had the car. I charged to 80/90 almost every day. Every 3 weeks I had to charge to 100 and I was getting anxiety when it topped out at 294 lol.
I kept reading everyone telling us newbies to relax. As soon as I did my numbers started climbing. I'm 4 months into it and my full charge has settled at 308/309.
Month 1 was 300
Month 2 290s
Month 3 300
Month 4 308/309

Break the car in and don't think about it. It's like trying to lose weight and stepping on the scale every day. Eventually the BMS will settle down. You can try all of the tricks that people have done. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will be fine.

Ok, i feel better. Thanks.
But just to confirm, charge in to 80-90% every night?
How many miles do you drive per day? Better to keep it at 70-80% if you don't need the extra range most of the time. Your brake regen is slightly limited above 85% even in warm weather.

Technically, the closer to 50% you keep your battery, the healthier. But I wouldn't worry about that too much, it's really above 90% you should avoid consistently.

Ok, i feel better. Thanks.
But just to confirm, charge in to 80-90% every night?

if you want your rated miles to look closer to the number the car is actually rated for, charge to 90% every day. If you want a slightly (slightly, likely over several years) healthier battery, charge to 80% or lower. Of course, it would be even healthier for the battery to set it to 50% and not drive the car, ever. That would be the most healthy thing for the battery.....

Since thats not likely what anyone would do who actually bought the car, just charge it to 90% or 80% of whatever makes you happy. Just dont regularly charge over 90% unless you have some reason to. Regularly charging to 100% is less healthly for the battery. Everything else is just small degrees, or visual data that is somewhat inaccurate (rated miles).

In the same boat, had my beautiful “Misty” for 3 months. Tried different charging levels, exterpolated ends up around 305 miles range. Little less when very cold, vice versa.
I’m just going to do 80 % for everyday driving and more when I need it. “Don’t worry, be happy”!