Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, there are lengthy posts about this topic elsewhere on the forum. However our driving is somewhat "special" in HK. We actually don't need range charing, but still some of us might need it, because they don't have a charging solution at their homes.

To which % are you charging usually? At which % do you recharge usually?

I am lucky to be able to charge at home.
I have had my car for about two months. For the first 1.5 months, I charged after every trip including very short ones of 10km. In the last two weeks or so, I am getting a bit lazy and concerned it may use up charge cycles (although I have no idea if that is of concern on Tesla vehicles) so I only charge once a week or so after I have traveled around 100-120km.

I charge at home with my wall connector set at 40amps which gives me between 40-48km/h charge rate. Having only had my car a week I charge when I get home simply as Tesla says plug it in when not in use. I have been setting my charge to between 75-85% soc. I am seriously considering setting it to 70% as it's more than enough with my 85 and there is info on the main board to suggest this is better in the long run.

My diluthium crystals in the warp drive never need changing.

Last edited:
concerned it may use up charge cycles (although I have no idea if that is of concern on Tesla vehicles)
Don't worry about that, charge cycles don't work that way, 10 charges of 10% is roughly equivalent to one charge of 100% (not that straight forward either, but the point stands) From your description it doesn't sound like you need to charge every day, so don't sweat it if you don't, but you shouldn't avoid charging just because you're worried about cycles, charging that small amount more times won't hurt it at all.
On a similar note though, what will hurt it is if you let the charge get too low or too high, so you're much better off to keep it in the middle if you can.

Use 13A socket and charge at 6-8A to prevent tripping (although it often still trips and E-Charge/EV-Power will send me stupid "Your EV xxxxxx Charging cannot be activated due to insufficient f. For enquiry please call 81132334. (E-Charge)". By "Insufficient f." I am guessing it means insufficient fund, but when I check the E-Charge App, it will still show balance $20.) Usually takes more than 8 hours to charge per day, which I love because I can keep my car in the charging bay overnight like a private parking space.