TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charging habits?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by singleview, Nov 23, 2016.

?

How often do you charge to 100%?

1. Every chance I get!

2.2%
  2. Only before long trips

80.4%
  3. Before the weekend (cuz I get free charge at work)!

4.3%
  4. I never charge to a 100%

19.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. singleview

singleview Member

I know there's been several posts on the virtues of not charging to 100%, on not worrying too much about this etc. But I thought it would be interesting to find out your general charging habit as it relates to charging your Tesla to a 100%.

Feel free to add any comments/insights. Thanks!

2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I charge my Leaf to 100% every single time I plug it in, but my plan for the Tesla is to daily charge to 90% as recommended and to 100% when I am taking a trip or planning a lot of driving in one day.

• Like x 1
  3. Max*

Max* Not Banned

I don't think about it. If I'm taking a trip where I'm SpCing, I always charge to 100% the night before.

• Like x 1
  4. democappy

democappy Member

I was one of the before the weekend votes. I don't do it most weekends because usually I don't need the extra charge to make it through the weekend. However, on a long holiday weekend I will definitely do it. The way I see it is the car doesn't sit at 100% for long. I charge it up and then immediately drive it home which takes me close to 90% before it sits for the night.

I have home charging set-up and the cost is really minimal to do it at home, but something in my mind has decided that I just charge at work since it is free and meets 99% of my needs.

• Love x 1
  5. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

I usually charge to 100% about once a month, but not for any of the reasons you've listed, @singleview. I do it to maintain battery balance, and to simply know what my 100% is over time.

6. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

I mostly charge to 80% and have never range charged.

7. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Just before trips. Otherwise it is plugged in with a charge max setting of about 80%.

• Like x 1
  8. singleview

singleview Member

I tend to do this too, for exactly the same reasoning... I also tend to drive more during the weekends! Great to see I'm not the only one. :rolleyes:;)

9. singleview

singleview Member

That's really insightful. Thank you.

There are recommendations (from the manual, the forums etc), and then there are behaviors. This feedback has been great - thanks again.

10. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

I mentioned that I usually charge to 100% about once a month, but last night I charged to 100% for the first time in 2 months. My rated range on my March 2014 "classic" Model S was 265 miles (range mode on). This is the highest it has been in 2 years, as it usually range charges to 263 or 264. I know it is only 1 extra mile, but the vast majority of owners lose range over time. I not only feel very fortunate, but I never plan to change my charging habits!

• Informative x 1