Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Heats the inside of the Car?

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
Hi,
I put my Model X in the garage last night. And plugged it into the 110 charger (waiting for the
220 to arrive). And set "Vent" to open the windows.

This morning the temp inside the car was still 75! I know charging creates heat - but that
heat isn't vented to someplace other than in the car? The temp in the garage was at 64
this morning when I checked the inside of the car and see 75.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

Les236

Jan 20, 2018
Kissimmee, FL, Boston, MA
I've had odd things happen, so when I charge mine, especially with 110v, I make sure I turn off the climate control to make sure it doesn't come on. Charging at 110v definitely would not create any heat on its own.

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
A/C was off - heat was residual from driving yesterday (arrived home about
8pm) ... but we were using A/C to hold the inside of the car at 68. That means,
to me, that the heat in the car this morning was totally due to the charging.
Perhaps the heat in the battery (from driving) would cause the heat in the
car to go up after we got out of it and I put it on the 110 charger?
I may be wrong - hoping someone will tell me how this happened. Should
I open the windows manually to full open? The "Vent" setting just cracks all
4 windows about an inch or so - which, to my way of thinking, should still
let any heat out.
I just got the notice that my 220v charging station will be here on Wed.
Still have to arrange with the electrician to do the install. But the fact that
they have shipped it is good news.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
If I understand the basic physics correctly - any charging will create heat. But 110v charging
should be less heat than 220 or a super charger.
I'm still confused about the heat 'building up' and staying at 75 when the garage itself was
at 64. I would think the charging heat would be passed 'directly' to the garage and not
into the car (very much).
- Jim B. in Burlington, Wa.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Heat rises? And the battery is a large thermal mass may have already been warmer from the previous day outdoors and driving.

Also, the computers and such in the car never fully shutdown. So they are generating heat all night too.

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
I know heat rises ... but it should 'escape' out to the garage air before it heats up the interior
of the car. Correct? Not? Does the bottom 'shroud' prevent heat from exiting to the
outside world?

So let's net this out to this question ... anyone else seeing the inside of their car stay this
warm overnight? If this is 'normal' I'm not concerned (think it is 'dumb' but if its normal
I will live with it).
Does the car cool down the way you expect it to do when you stop charging?
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

fr100

Dec 27, 2017
Northern CA
My X feels hotter inside than my 3 parked next to it. The app shows the interior maybe 5-ish degrees hotter. Doesn't help that the fan speed on the X is defaulted back to 1 every morning.

Bigriver

Mar 2, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
My X feels hotter inside than my 3 parked next to it. The app shows the interior maybe 5-ish degrees hotter. Doesn't help that the fan speed on the X is defaulted back to 1 every morning.
I was composing almost the identical response…. The model X consistently shows hotter than the model 3, sitting right next to it. I don’t think it is a real temperature difference but rather a difference of which of many sensors the model X is reporting. I also know that during the winter the app will show the temp in the X immediately increasing as soon as the heat is turned on, even when it is still quite chilly in the car. I was concerned enough that I brought it up at a service appointment, but was told all was “within spec.”

Reactions: X-pilot

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
OK - over a week has passed and here is my current status/observations.

1) The interior of my car is -always- warmer than the garage. This happens even though
I am opening all 4 windows as far as they will open.
2) The car interior is considerably warmer than the garage when it is charging - but
even after 12 hours of sitting without charging it is still warmer than the outside.
3) When I go out into the garage and stand next to the car - late at night/early
morning - I hear what I call "a very faint buzzing sound" - all the time. It does
not sound like a cooling fan for the computer - but it might be?
4) The 'vampire drain' of the battery appears to be about 1% per day of the car
not being used and not charging (plugged in but "full").

On my windows computer I'm using the "Tesla Control" app. Is that the best one/the
one you are using? Suggestions for some other windows app?
On my iPhone I'm using the Tesla app (red icon with Tesla logo). Again - is this what
you are using/suggestions for others welcomed?

If the above 2 apps are "the standard" ... are there other apps you recommend that I
use in addition to those 2?
- Jim in Burlington, Wa. 2018 Model X 100D

Mr. Jim

Apr 13, 2019
Santa Barbara
Ditto to all of these with my X. Right now is 66 outside and my app says its 82 in the car. This is almost always the case. It has even been over 90 when the outside air is warmer. It is not on the charger.

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
Thanks for the replies/confirmations that what I'm seeing is "typical" (normal?). Has
anyone checked with a service rep/anyone at Tesla and gotten a reason why this is
true/happening? As in - what is the source of the heat? And why doesn't simply
opening all of the windows not cool it down to a much closer range? Or, for that
matter - why is the interior always hotter than the outside?

- Jim in Burlington, Wa. 2018 Model X 100D (purchased used).

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
A few questions

Does this heat increase happen when the car is not plugged in?

What happens if you leave the car outside and not connected to the charger?

Where do you keep your key fobs? Keeping them near the car can prevent the car from going into deep sleep and some systems may be up all the time. I put mine in a drawer 20 feet away with 3 walls in between the fobs and the vehicle. Other people keep them in Faraday-type bags. Same question for phone if you have that connected to the car.

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
jboy - will try unplugging it and report (didn't think of that). Not sure I understand your Q about
"outside". The car is in the garage when the heat stays high. I would not call it so much a build
up as a 'maintenance' of the heat. It does 'spike' right after putting it into the garage but I
think that is due to the AC being turned off. The garage has a high exterior window cracked all
the time (summer) and as soon as the day's heat drops we open the door to the house to provide
air flow thru the garage. The car does not seem to heat the garage space - the heat I'm
noticing is the interior heat of the car when compared to the exterior heat ... both as reported
by the Tesla Control App on my windows computer.

Our days recently have been 'nice' ... high 70's in the afternoon and below 65 in the morning.
Several mornings have been as low as the high 50's. The garage does face west - but we
live 'below the crest of a steep hill' and the front of the house/garage is in full shade by
about 5:30.

This heat problem is literally all the time. It is worse after just returning home and plugging
in to charge. We do not have a 220v charger yet and only using the 120v charger. The 220v
is waiting to be installed - but since it charges much fast I expect the heat problem (if it is
from the charging) to be more, not less.

Key fobs are stored in a dish and at least 30 feet (or more) away. I hear the car beep once
when I am about 10 feet away - so it is locking and (I presume) going to sleep soon after.
Tesla Control app reports car is "waking up" when I use it to check the heat.

Phone connection to car is rare since, although I can use the phone as a key ... it is a LOT
slower than just taking the fob. My phone app is rarely used for any purpose.

- Jim in Burlington, Wa. Used 2018 Model X 6-seater

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
Sounds normal to me. The reason is just basic thermo, I don't know what else to tell you. heat is coming from residual heat from driving the car (1500lb of battery under the floor doesn't just instantly cool off, nor do 300lb of powertrain, brakes, and wheels and tires). With no airflow, in a closed garage, it has nowhere else to go. Same with charging heat.

As an aside, Level 2 charging will probably generate quite a bit less heat overall, because you're charging for a fraction of the time, and then the car shuts itself down and doesn't run auxiliary systems. On Level 1 charging for 12 hours you're running the charging systems and all their associated inefficiences (which translate almost directly to waste heat) for 12 hours too; on Level 2 charging you're getting the same charge in ~ 3 hours. So the cables and such heat up a little bit more due to the amperage, but that's more than outweighed by shutting the car off for 9 hours.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
jboy - will try unplugging it and report (didn't think of that). Not sure I understand your Q about
"outside". The car is in the garage when the heat stays high. I would not call it so much a build
up as a 'maintenance' of the heat. It does 'spike' right after putting it into the garage but I
think that is due to the AC being turned off. The garage has a high exterior window cracked all
the time (summer) and as soon as the day's heat drops we open the door to the house to provide
air flow thru the garage. The car does not seem to heat the garage space - the heat I'm
noticing is the interior heat of the car when compared to the exterior heat ... both as reported
by the Tesla Control App on my windows computer.

Our days recently have been 'nice' ... high 70's in the afternoon and below 65 in the morning.
Several mornings have been as low as the high 50's. The garage does face west - but we
live 'below the crest of a steep hill' and the front of the house/garage is in full shade by
about 5:30.

This heat problem is literally all the time. It is worse after just returning home and plugging
in to charge. We do not have a 220v charger yet and only using the 120v charger. The 220v
is waiting to be installed - but since it charges much fast I expect the heat problem (if it is
from the charging) to be more, not less.

Key fobs are stored in a dish and at least 30 feet (or more) away. I hear the car beep once
when I am about 10 feet away - so it is locking and (I presume) going to sleep soon after.
Tesla Control app reports car is "waking up" when I use it to check the heat.

Phone connection to car is rare since, although I can use the phone as a key ... it is a LOT
slower than just taking the fob. My phone app is rarely used for any purpose.

- Jim in Burlington, Wa. Used 2018 Model X 6-seater
Hi.

When you return home the car's battery can be quite warm and will warm the interior of the car. Same thing with charging. Expecially if the car is not reaching your cut-off percentage, 70%, 80%, etc. The heat from the battery does rise into the interior of the car since the battery is under the floors. So from driving or charging the interior does get heated.

On 120 vs 240 charging and heat generation, as I understand charging at 120V is less efficient and a higher percentage of the electricity gets turned into heat. So the longer you charge the more you heat the interior.

Also, as you saw checking the battery status wakes up the car. This can result in higher battery drain when idle (aka vampire drain). Also, it can take a while (hours?) for the car to go into a deep sleep so best not to check too often.

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
Sounds normal to me. The reason is just basic thermo, I don't know what else to tell you. heat is coming from residual heat from driving the car (1500lb of battery under the floor doesn't just instantly cool off, nor do 300lb of powertrain, brakes, and wheels and tires). With no airflow, in a closed garage, it has nowhere else to go. Same with charging heat.

As an aside, Level 2 charging will probably generate quite a bit less heat overall, because you're charging for a fraction of the time, and then the car shuts itself down and doesn't run auxiliary systems. On Level 1 charging for 12 hours you're running the charging systems and all their associated inefficiences (which translate almost directly to waste heat) for 12 hours too; on Level 2 charging you're getting the same charge in ~ 3 hours. So the cables and such heat up a little bit more due to the amperage, but that's more than outweighed by shutting the car off for 9 hours.
Richbot/all,

Just as a data point - the inside of the car is typically at least 5 degrees warmer than the garage
when it is NOT charging. Can be 15-20 degrees warmer when charging.

Rich - although I understand what you are saying about less time to charge using 220v ... the
basic physics are that if you are charging quicker you will generate more heat. So what
you are saying is that it will also result in more time for the car to cool down after the
charging is done. See my opinion statement below.

Question - I am using the car's temperature measurements. Does anyone know -where- the
temperature sensors are for the inside and outside readings? Perhaps the internal measurement
is "right on top of the battery" where it sees the heat? Outside sensor - I'm guessing it is in
the windshield somewhere ... ?

Opinion - it certainly -looks- like the heat in the car is being affected by the battery (whether
charging or not). I don't get why the car doesn't 'vent' that heat to the outside of
car (in this case my garage). This seems like a basic design element. It appears
(to me at least) as though the car does not properly vent the battery heat ... unless
it is moving.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa. Used, 6-seater, 2018 Model X 100D

Oldrocky

Jul 17, 2021
Burlington, Wa.
Hi.

When you return home the car's battery can be quite warm and will warm the interior of the car. Same thing with charging. Expecially if the car is not reaching your cut-off percentage, 70%, 80%, etc. The heat from the battery does rise into the interior of the car since the battery is under the floors. So from driving or charging the interior does get heated.

On 120 vs 240 charging and heat generation, as I understand charging at 120V is less efficient and a higher percentage of the electricity gets turned into heat. So the longer you charge the more you heat the interior.

Also, as you saw checking the battery status wakes up the car. This can result in higher battery drain when idle (aka vampire drain). Also, it can take a while (hours?) for the car to go into a deep sleep so best not to check too often.
So how long does it actually take before "deep sleep"? End of charging plus some amount of time after that? - Jim

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC