Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging hint by Tesla: ...use scheduled charging to start charge 3 hours after end of drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
After abusing the heck out of a model S and needing battery replacement in the eHawk, Tesla found the battery died due to constant supercharging from low SoC to high SoC. They gave several hints to making the battery last longer (stuff we all know, such as don't go to 100% all the time). But this one caught my eye since I haven't heard about it before:

"We also recommend that the customer use scheduled charging to start charge 3 hours after end of drive at low SOC."
What's the point of this? To let the battery cool? I was under the impression that you want to limit time spent at either extreme of SoC.

Also note that while the recommendation appears to be talking about supercharging hints, there is no scheduled start for supercharge usage.

I've seen this before - seems like the idea is that temperature is worse that a low state of charge. So, charging up after the battery cools down is ideal. What's odd is that the latest software update actually heats up the battery en route to a supercharger to maximize supercharge rate of charge.

I've seen this before - seems like the idea is that temperature is worse that a low state of charge. So, charging up after the battery cools down is ideal. What's odd is that the latest software update actually heats up the battery en route to a supercharger to maximize supercharge rate of charge.

Does it do that only for cold temps, or even in hot?

Just curious, how much does it cost you to replace the battery?

Everyone should still have battery coverage right now (unless you're a model 3 with >120k miles or original roadster). Musk said it would be 5-7k for a pack replacement. Model 3 has 4 packs.

It sounds like Musk expects battery costs to be cut in half in the next few years, so by the time Model 3 owners are even starting to think about battery replacements, maybe their cost will be trivial.

Everyone should still have battery coverage right now (unless you're a model 3 with >120k miles or original roadster). Musk said it would be 5-7k for a pack replacement. Model 3 has 4 packs.

It sounds like Musk expects battery costs to be cut in half in the next few years, so by the time Model 3 owners are even starting to think about battery replacements, maybe their cost will be trivial.

Model 3 has one pack that contains four modules.

Yeah, wrong word nomenclature.

this is Musk's tweet:

Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.

• Funny
Reactions: electricar
My pack has lost 3% in 6 months (10,000 miles) so more than I'd like but not horrible. Supercharging isn't good though....
Good news!—that 3% is a known bug. It’ll come back. Here’s my 10,000 mi battery. See when the bug hit?

FB16104B-B5B4-4D5D-9EB5-B13D9E682632.jpeg

First, was this a random Tesla employee or official correspondence?

Yes, this would be to let the battery cool after a long drive,. Low SOC is probably more like 20% in this case.

Sitting at extremes for long times isn't great, but that's months, not hours.

But I believe that in your case, the recommendation is to stay away from Supercharging, especially from the extremes

this is Musk's tweet:

Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.
So replace the pack will cost $20k-$28k on a car that costs about $45k. That's ridiculous!

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
So replace the pack will cost $20k-$28k on a car that costs about $45k. That's ridiculous!

Well, remember its not just the battery module, you have the labor too.

And keep in mind all modules are unlikely to be needing to be replaced.

Also odds are low that you'd want to keep the car longer than the battery is able to function. I've never had a car at 300-500k miles, have you?

After abusing the heck out of a model S and needing battery replacement in the eHawk, Tesla found the battery died due to constant supercharging from low SoC to high SoC. They gave several hints to making the battery last longer (stuff we all know, such as don't go to 100% all the time). But this one caught my eye since I haven't heard about it before:

"We also recommend that the customer use scheduled charging to start charge 3 hours after end of drive at low SOC."
What's the point of this? To let the battery cool? I was under the impression that you want to limit time spent at either extreme of SoC.

Also note that while the recommendation appears to be talking about supercharging hints, there is no scheduled start for supercharge usage.
No. Limit the time spent SITTING full (or very hot), limit the time spent CHARGING at low temperature (<50ºF IIRC).

Last edited:

this is Musk's tweet:

So to replace a pack would cost between 20-28k?
By the time the pack needs replacing, it wouldn’t even be worth replacing it.