Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in a rainstorm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During a trip from Long Island to Rochester, NY, I had to stop to charge at a supercharger on the NY Thruway. Unfortunately, it was in the middle of a driving rainstorm. I got out of the car, plugged in the charger cord, got back into the car and started the charge. It started and stopped several times, and then quit altogether. The error signal said something about an intermittent charge signal. After several tries with the same results,, I grabbed a hand towel and draped it over the end of the charge cable plug. This time time, everything work fine, and I completed the charge. This result gave me the feeling that the interconnect between the car and the charge cable is well designed, electrically secure and safe.

It would be hard to design a sealed plug end that still allows the male pins in the car to enter the female pins in the charge cable. Normal rain is normally not a problem. I can imagine in a driving rainstorm it would be hard to keep the plug end dry. Thus the use of a towel.

It would be hard to design a sealed plug end that still allows the male pins in the car to enter the female pins in the charge cable. Normal rain is normally not a problem. I can imagine in a driving rainstorm it would be hard to keep the plug end dry. Thus the use of a towel.

Ideally all Superchargers would be covered so as to keep them cool (good for high charging speeds) and dry. Like gas stations! Some of them are this way already, of course.

Maybe some day!

The rain was driving horizontally up against the side of the car. The passenger seat was getting soaked with only the drivers door open.

how long is the contact area of the Tesla DC/AC charger? The CCS2 plug literally has about 5-6cm of plastic pushed into the chargeport and sits superflush. the plastic on the inside of the handle then graps around the plugs. there is no way even horizontal rain gts inside that.