Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in and around National Parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are just back from a 2,000 mile trip which included several National Parks in Arizona. In fact, the plan was to also include visiting parks in Utah and California but we decided not to, as the Superchargers distribution leading to those parks was insufficient to build our confidence and reduce our range anxiety.
My car is a 3.5 years old standard Model 3 with less than the promised maximum charge level, around 240 miles (*).

I know that this thorny subject of limited chargers around the parks has come up here many times over the years, but I hope to start a ground swell of anxious Tesla owners, and apply pressure on Tesla to improve the situation.

President Biden recently announced a charger infrastructure plan of adding 100,000 chargers in the US.
We, the Tesla users, must make sure that some of those (Superchargers of course) will be built in strategic locations leading to, and from, National Parks. I think that a the Federal Interior Department (Infrastructure), the National Park system (encourage visitors to the parks), Tesla (sell and monetize more superchargers), Tesla user groups (do I need to say more?), Local utilities (promoting use of electricity by EV's) and private/commercial developers (make money by selling electricity as well as food and lodging services around the chargers), can come together and ease the situation in a matter of few months.

(*) regrading maximum charge:
One of the more annoying issues is the charge range limit set by Tesla in busy superchargers.
In my case, I got the message "your max charge allowed now is 190 miles", instead of my usual max of 240. I needed to cross the Arizona desert at 120 degrees F with strong headwind, while the next charger (along highway I-40) is 150 miles away, this is not a joke. (well OK, we made it).

By the way-
Thank you Tesla. Upon my return I've just installed the newest software version which includes “Energy prediction for your route has been improved by incorporating forecasted crosswind, headwind, humidity and ambient temperature when using online navigation.”
A quote from Electek: "While these factors could only account for a few percentage points of difference, it can be a big deal for some trips. Every percentage point counts when doing efficiency and range calculations".
Kudus.

We are just back from a 2,000 mile trip which included several National Parks in Arizona. In fact, the plan was to also include visiting parks in Utah and California but we decided not to, as the Superchargers distribution leading to those parks was insufficient to build our confidence and reduce our range anxiety.
My car is a 3.5 years old standard Model 3 with less than the promised maximum charge level, around 240 miles (*).

I know that this thorny subject of limited chargers around the parks has come up here many times over the years, but I hope to start a ground swell of anxious Tesla owners, and apply pressure on Tesla to improve the situation.

President Biden recently announced a charger infrastructure plan of adding 100,000 chargers in the US.
We, the Tesla users, must make sure that some of those (Superchargers of course) will be built in strategic locations leading to, and from, National Parks. I think that a the Federal Interior Department (Infrastructure), the National Park system (encourage visitors to the parks), Tesla (sell and monetize more superchargers), Tesla user groups (do I need to say more?), Local utilities (promoting use of electricity by EV's) and private/commercial developers (make money by selling electricity as well as food and lodging services around the chargers), can come together and ease the situation in a matter of few months.

One of the more annoying issues is the charge range limit set by Tesla in busy superchargers.
In my case, I got the message "your max charge allowed now is 190 miles", instead of my usual max of 240. I needed to cross the Arizona desert at 120 degrees F with strong headwind, while the next charger (along highway I-40) is 150 miles away, this is not a joke. (well OK, we made it).

By the way-
Thank you Tesla. Upon my return I've just installed the newest software version which includes “Energy prediction for your route has been improved by incorporating forecasted crosswind, headwind, humidity and ambient temperature when using online navigation.”
A quote from Electek: "While these factors could only account for a few percentage points of difference, it can be a big deal for some trips. Every percentage point counts when doing efficiency and range calculations".
Kudus.

The 80% limit imposed at busy stations can be overridden if you need more energy. Just drag the charging limit slider back above 80% after you start charging.

At the times the high occupancy chargers give you that message, you simply move your charge back to the level you needed. Some report, it resets, but just do it again. Many National Parks are installing J1774 and remember, if they have RV hook ups, you can use a 1450 adapter.
Make sure the next Tesla you get is the long range model. Many newer Teslas support CCS charger, and that can help in many cases. Get to know ABetterRoutePlanner.com and PlugShare.com

By the way-
Kudus.
Just saw this thread after I posted mine. I agree, of course. My question was slightly different: why are there not zillions of Tesla destination chargers everywhere, at least as a stop gap measure? There seems to be some general apathy about charging at or near National Parks.

Charging at Yosemite is a joke. They've installed some Rivian EVSEs and they're "free" to use. Which of course means that they're almost never available. :rolleyes: So when I went to Yosemite, I took the PHEV because there was no guarantee that I'd be able to charge once in the park (and I wouldn't have been able to, as all of those EVSEs were already in use). Instead of installing "free" L2 EVSEs, they should install paid DC fast chargers that are almost guaranteed to be available. But nope, they won't do that, so I didn't take my zero emissions vehicle to the park and I was burning gasoline as I was driving around the park.

Charging at Yosemite is a joke. They've installed some Rivian EVSEs and they're "free" to use. Which of course means that they're almost never available. :rolleyes: So when I went to Yosemite, I took the PHEV because there was no guarantee that I'd be able to charge once in the park (and I wouldn't have been able to, as all of those EVSEs were already in use). Instead of installing "free" L2 EVSEs, they should install paid DC fast chargers that are almost guaranteed to be available. But nope, they won't do that, so I didn't take my zero emissions vehicle to the park and I was burning gasoline as I was driving around the park.
...pay per use L2 EVSEs would be fine

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
...pay per use L2 EVSEs would be fine
That would also be fine, with a few pay per use DCFCs just in case all of the L2 EVSEs happened to be taken. Also, you could put the pay per use DCFCs near the restaurants/stores, so that people wishing to stop for a quick bite to eat before driving off to go hiking can at least get a decent amount of charging done during the time they're there.

• Informative
That would also be fine, with a few pay per use DCFCs just in case all of the L2 EVSEs happened to be taken. Also, you could put the pay per use DCFCs near the restaurants/stores, so that people wishing to stop for a quick bite to eat before driving off to go hiking can at least get a decent amount of charging done during the time they're there.
National Parks probably lack the electricity needed.

DCFCs would need on-site storage.

• Informative
Charging at Yosemite is a joke.

Did the Superchargers in Groveland, Oakhurst, Mammoth, and Fish Camp get overlooked somehow? If so I have good news, there are two more coming in Mariposa and El Portal (Mariposa is under construction now).

Did you not notice the 50+ L2 chargers in the same gateway communities?

I find myself wondering what exactly it is people want when posting comments like this. Yosemite is EV child’s play. There is zero reason to need substantial EV charging infrastructure IN the park. Every road in and out is littered with ample and convenient charging options. There are *eleven* Rivian-sponsored J1772 stations scattered throughout Yosemite Valley if for some strange reason you NEED a charge while there (but again, you really don’t).

Last edited:
Did the Superchargers in Groveland, Oakhurst, Mammoth, and Fish Camp get overlooked somehow? If so I have good news, there are two more coming in Mariposa and El Portal (Mariposa is under construction now).
Route was through Merced and up CA-140 through Mariposa, the one entrance from the west that doesn't have a supercharger. Mariposa and El Portal would have helped, if they had existed. The problem with charging at Merced is that I calculated that I'd have to charge to nearly 90% to make it back with a 15% buffer because going uphill apparently takes a lot of energy. And charging to 90% is a waste of my time. Way better to charge in or near the park, AFTER going up the hill and having the car at a very low SoC, where I can charge at over 150 kW.
Did you not notice the 50+ L2 chargers in the same gateway communities?
Nothing in Mariposa that's not "for guests only". And the L2 in El Portal was a no go because I didn't even want to stop in El Portal (plus if that one is occupied, then what?).
I find myself wondering what exactly it is people want when posting comments like this. Yosemite is EV child’s play. There is zero reason to need substantial EV charging infrastructure IN the park. Every road in and out is littered with ample and convenient charging options. There are *eleven* Rivian-sponsored J1772 stations scattered throughout Yosemite Valley if for some strange reason you NEED a charge while there (but again, you really don’t).
Since I couldn't fast charge close enough to Yosemite to make it back to Merced easily, I would have had to charge IN the park. Except I couldn't, because those EVSEs were all occupied. One fast charger in the park itself or just outside of it, where I could top up at 30% SoC or less for 5 minutes to make it back to Merced or Gilroy, would have been enough. But it doesn't exist.

But I could stop in Merced to put gasoline in the PHEV in less than 5 minutes and immediately get back on the road. Plan was always to stop in Mariposa for lunch but if there's no DC fast charger there, that time spent eating lunch is wasted as far as fueling the EV is concerned.

DC fast chargers or reliably available L2 chargers in the park would have fixed the problem. Since the park is the highest elevation I reached, the car would have been at a fairly low SoC by then.

Mariposa and El Portal will definitely be welcome additions to the network.

FWIW, coming from most anywhere in the Bay Area, taking 120 instead of 140 is more or less equivalent in terms of time and miles, and then Groveland is an option for charging.

I do agree with the general premise of "free" charging creating the wrong sort of incentive. Those Rivian chargers in the valley would be more useful if they had some nominal charge or a 2-3 hour limit before the price rose substantially to encourage people to only take what they need and free the spot up for others.

Took a trip deep into and east of Lassen NP. I found that the main RV sites around there allow EV's to charge with a Nema 14-50 adapter for 10-20 bucks (Nema 14-50 is what RV parks use mainly for hookups). I didn't use them, but stopped by 2 to confirm and they want your business if you need a charge.