Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Coffs Harbour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats strange, a 32A 3ph plug should fit in a 40A or 50A socket, the 32, 40 and 50 all have the same pin size, there is just a key way that prevents a higher amperage plug going into a lower amperage socket. Obviously, all sockets must have the 5th neutral pin for the UMc to work, so 4 pin sockets are no good.

I realise I'm replying to a very old thread, but I recently was able to confirm a 32A 5 pin plug will fit a 50A 5 pin socket.
I charged on one in Port Augusta, SA last week.

I realise I'm replying to a very old thread, but I recently was able to confirm a 32A 5 pin plug will fit a 50A 5 pin socket.
I charged on one in Port Augusta, SA last week.
No - I tried that one. The Parklands here abounds in 50 AMP 3 phase sockets. I have an unaltered 32 AMP three phase plug - they just don't go. I am sure that a suitably altered plug would work tho.

And I was able to charge with an unmodified 32A plug...
Please check plug and socket against attached specification.

Attachments

• ThreePhase5pin.jpg
    ThreePhase5pin.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 59
Please check plug and socket against attached specification.
Hi Ray

The higher rated sockets have more "notches" (and more "tabs" on the plugs) which prevent you from plugging a higher-rated plug into a lower rated socket, but not vice versa.

Just like the wider earth pin on a 15A single phase plug so you can't plug it into a 10A socket, but a 10A plug will happily fit a 15A socket. 20A/25A/32A single phase also exist and again designed so you can fit a lower current plug into a higher current socket.

The 10A and 20A three phase sockets are a different size from the 32A/40A/50A variants, but I believe that once again a 10A plug will fit a 20A socket (but not vice versa)

Sorry for exhuming an old thread, but I can explain the confusion above.

The AU/NZ three phase sockets come in groups. Within a group, lower-rated plugs can plug into higher-rated sockets, but not vice-versa. Plugs and sockets are not cross compatible at all between different groups, however.

One group contains 32A, 40A and 50A ratings. A 32A plug from this group will fit into a 50A socket from this group - this would be the type of socket MDK found in Port Augusta.

The next group contains 50A, 63A and 80A ratings. A 32A plug won't fit into any socket from this group (even a 50A plug from the previous group won't fit into a 50A socket from this group). This would be the type of socket raynewman found at The Parklands.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nickdp