Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Cranberry Twshp, PA. Hotel Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning a trip from Chicago area to Fort Meyers, Florida Starting on February 5, 2014. Since the Supercharger near Pittsburg doesn't seem to be making any progress toward being open by then, I would like to find a Hotel nearby where we could charge overnight. The distance between Macedonia and Somerset is only 175 miles, but after taking our P85 with a full range charge on a business trip yesterday in 0 degree F weather, I learned that I may not make 175 miles and I don't want to expose my wife to that level of range anxiety. Thanks in advance for any advice...

I don't know of any hotels that would help but the Giant Eagle Market District grocery store,at 155 Town Center Dr, Wexford, PA 15090 is reasonably convenient, and has two level 2 chargers that give about 18 miles per hour.

If your range is worryingly low by the time you get to Cranberry, you could stop there for an hour or two to get you to Somerset.

There are restaurants, etc. in the same shopping plaza, so an hour's stop shouldn't be a problem.

Eaton also has chargers in Cranberry, but the neighborhood is much less useful.

Plugshare is your friend.

DCWitt, there are public J1772s in Warrendale at the Eaton Corp building, which is a mile or so from the Residence Inn in Cranberry that is the proposed site of the new Supercharger. I am not sure if they are open overnight, but you could call and ask. I would also offer you my HPWC, where you could easily stop in for a charge...but it is currently on the fritz, and I don't know if it will be fixed by then. I also don't know if you have twin chargers to take advantage of the higher amps.

Eaton Corp is at this address:

130 Commonwealth Dr
Warrendale PA 15086
(724) 779-5800

Another option would be to exit the PA Turnpike at I-376 / Monroeville, which is ~120 miles from Macedonia. If you look at that area on Plugshare.com, you'll see a couple level 2 charging stations very close to hotels and restaurants. If you're worried about range but don't want to constrain yourself to staying overnight there, you could charge for an hour or so while grabbing a meal.

UPMC East (near Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Days Inn, Red Roof Inn, Comfort Suites, Springhill Suites, Max & Erma's) - PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!
Giant Eagle (near Courtyard and lots of places to eat) - PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car! - note that there's one old report that this wasn't working
(There's a 3rd charging station listed at another Giant Eagle just to the east, but no reports of successful charging.)

I researched these as "emergency" options just in case I couldn't quite make it from Frederick MD to Pittsburgh (pre-superchargers), as they were 10-15 miles closer than my destination, but I never ended up needing or using them.

I'd also recommend calling any hotel you're considering staying at, to see if they'll let you use any of their outdoor power outlets and whether they're convenient to any parking spots. They're typically only 110-120V, but overnight that gives you a nice boost, and usually that's more convenient than a "nearby" J1772 charging station.

Last edited:
Thank you all! Lots of good advice.
@tbleakne ...I'm very interested in an app that would point me to hotel/motel with charging. Can you share the source? I have recargo, plugshare, chargepoint, chargebud, etc but have never seen one that pinpoints chargers at hotels.

I am likely driving from Chicago to the All superchargers lead to DC event. Feb 15?
I called many hotels today in the Pittsburgh area and asked about charging. 100% no.
Yes there's the Eaton facility and who knows when we'd get the Chademo adapter - that would be even nicer.
Otherwise ... I'm thinking the Daddy / daughter team must have made it last week; two Tesla cars will make it this week and my mates and I will have to make it Feb 15 ish.
DCWitt ... I am with you on this ... but if it is 0 or a snowfall predicated I am going to chicken out.
Don't care what people say, I do not consider plugshare my friend. It is not reliable with the most recent reviews being 4 months old.
To me the only services that are reliable are my house and Superchargers!
And friends houses whom I know work and I can call them.

That's a good point about PlugShare, its info is definitely not perfect, although my personal experience with it happens to be quite good so far. I would suggest trying to verify stations you plan to use, to the extent possible. Maybe there's someone on this forum who's local enough to Monroeville (and/or who's passing through there this week) who would consider doing some scouting. Or call the establishments in question (UPMC & Giant Eagle in this case), although it might not be trivial to find someone who can give you an authoritative answer.

If you don't mind sharing, sp4rk, which hotels said no to charging? I think it's just about as important for EV travelers to collect that data as it is to catalog which hotels *are* EV-friendly. Hmmm... idea for a wiki page somewhere perhaps, or a contrasting map for the one that tbleakne linked to...

To be exact, I called every hotel within a 5 mile radius of 76/79.

Hyatt, Residence Inn, Red Roof, Four Points, Marriott.

Four Points did say they had "ordered something" but when probed for details I was cut off and then ended in a phone menu loop.

Once SC has arrived all this will be moot? I once thought ever hotel would eventually get on board; but I now wonder if instead, SC's will be the norm in cities. I'd prefer hotels to prevent locals from "hogging" SC's.

Yes there is nothing at Sheraton Four Points, we had been checking there as it was a supposed Supercharger candidate.

I live right near there, and am on Plugshare. You are all more than welcome to my NEMA 14-50, and with any luck, my HPWC will be back online soon...Ranger is coming tomorrow. I will keep this thread updated.

Once SC has arrived all this will be moot? I once thought ever hotel would eventually get on board; but I now wonder if instead, SC's will be the norm in cities. I'd prefer hotels to prevent locals from "hogging" SC's.

SuperChargers absolutely DO NOT make this moot. They're great for all of you new guys, but for those of us driving Roadsters (and for all of those poor non-Tesla owners), the SCs are still completely useless, and we need other ways to charge on the road (I count on campgrounds for my long trips).

DCWitt and Sp4rk-

Tesla Service brought me a replacement HPWC, it is up and running, though I haven't done any extended 80A charges with it.

You are both welcome to stop in and top off between Macedonia and Somerset at my place, you can find me on Plugshare in Wexford, PA (zip code 15090), just below the I-79 and I-76 interchange in Cranberry Township...maybe 5-6 miles away tops.

DCWitt and Sp4rk-

Tesla Service brought me a replacement HPWC, it is up and running, though I haven't done any extended 80A charges with it.

You are both welcome to stop in and top off between Macedonia and Somerset at my place, you can find me on Plugshare in Wexford, PA (zip code 15090), just below the I-79 and I-76 interchange in Cranberry Township...maybe 5-6 miles away tops.
Thanks. Will give you a bell the day before to confirm we're coming through ... (weather) ... and approximate time of arrival.

Thanks much Jake! The uncertain weather is our biggest challenge at the moment. I have meetings all day tomorrow. We are hearing as much as 10" of snow and high winds in our area tomorrow night and Wednesday morning with conflicting forecast saying only 3". I'm still hopeful that we will leave early Wednesday morning. With slick roads, cold temps. and wind combined with my inexperience at superchargers, I don't really know how far we will make it on Wednesday. We may end up staying near Maumee or Macedonia superchargers so that we can fully charge before we leave the next morning. Likely that we would benefit from an hour or so charge at your place sometime Thursday. We don't have dual chargers so our max is about 26 mile per hour charging. Maybe PM me with your # so we could call ahead?
Thanks!
DCW

You might want to change your travel plans if you are able to. They are calling for 6" to a foot of snow Tuesday into Thursday in most if central PA.

If you keep your speed at 55 you shouldn't have any range anxiety. I've done better than the rated range in 22 deg weather in the PA mountains by keeping the speed at 62.

However the snow storm would change that because of extra rolling resistance and parasite drag.

You might want to change your travel plans if you are able to. They are calling for 6" to a foot of snow Tuesday into Thursday in most if central PA.

Weather is looking more and more like a real challenge. Sure wish we could leave right now, but, alas, duty calls.
I'm scouring the various weather sites for predictions along our route... and getting lots of conflicting input.

Weather is looking more and more like a real challenge. Sure wish we could leave right now, but, alas, duty calls.
I'm scouring the various weather sites for predictions along our route... and getting lots of conflicting input.

You don't even want to do that. Our 1" storm for today is now 4". I heard a rumor that Harrisburg is all but shut down. I-76 is certainly nasty right now.