Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Extreme Temps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Phoenix, with summer temperatures that range anywhere from 110-120
Degrees, and asphalt temps in the 150-170 range.

I charge my 3 daily, and typically plug it in after getting home from work. Given the climate here, would there be any benefit in scheduling the charging to occur at midnight once the car has had some time to cool off?

I don't believe letting it cool down will help you as the first thing the car will try to do is warm up the battery to better charge it. That being said, not sure what your ambient temp in your garage is at midnight. Unless the car is complaining it's too hot when you charge, I wouldn't bother changing anything (assuming you don't get better off-peak rates).

I live in Phoenix, with summer temperatures that range anywhere from 110-120
Degrees, and asphalt temps in the 150-170 range.

I charge my 3 daily, and typically plug it in after getting home from work. Given the climate here, would there be any benefit in scheduling the charging to occur at midnight once the car has had some time to cool off?
1. It depends on how hard you've been driving it, but the car will do battery management to avoid the worst of the temperatures.
2. It's much easier on the grid if you charge during the wee hours.
3. The car will sit at a lower SOC for a longer period of time before charging, which is supposed to be helpful.
Exception: If you run the car down below 20%, charge ASAP as sitting low is as bad as sitting high.

Reactions: SSedan and Zoomit
1. It depends on how hard you've been driving it, but the car will do battery management to avoid the worst of the temperatures.
2. It's much easier on the grid if you charge during the wee hours.
3. The car will sit at a lower SOC for a longer period of time before charging, which is supposed to be helpful.
Exception: If you run the car down below 20%, charge ASAP as sitting low is as bad as sitting high.
Thanks, i have the LR M3, and typically get down to about 60% daily then charge up to 90% at night

I would charge at night just to be easier on the grid.
I think you are overthinking the battery temps, car will handle it and if the pack is so warm it needs cooling I think you will notice it running.

Asphalt temp is direct sun the car creates shade and a healthy airgap which is good insulation.

Far as the other comment about warming the battery to charge:confused: I am familiar with the idea but it applies a lot more to Green Bay in January than it does to Phoenix in June. Even if the night temps drop to a temp where pack heating would be a thing I doubt it does for long enough that the pack actually chills to ambient temps.