TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging in Forster Tuncurry

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by meloccom, Aug 29, 2016.

1. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I lost a good friend yesterday and so far as I know now the funeral is in Forster next Tuesday.
    I looked up destination charging and there seems to be a dead zone between Newcastle and Port Macquarie.
    EVtriplanner tells me I will use circa 330 Km rated range to get to Forster.
    The plan so far is to head up Monday night and stay in a Caravan park and hope we can charge using my 15Amp Clipper Creek connector to get about 200 Km rated range for about 10-12 hours charging. The funeral is at 2PM and I have to be back at work on Wednesday.
    1- Do you think I will make it in my 2014 85 with twin chargers?
    2- Does anyone know of alternate charging nearby? I have only used the twin chargers with my 3 phase HPWC as I haven't bought a JuiceBox yet.
    3- Should I just rent an ICE. :eek:

All advice gratefully received.

2. NovoCasGreeny

NovoCasGreeny Member

I think you should have more than enough with a range charge and the overnight top up. You will definitely have enough to get to Forster and back to Newy where you could get a 32A 3 phase top up at the Hunter Wetlands Centre, if needed.

3. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

I second @NovoCasGreeny 's enthusiasm for Humter Wetlands Centre @meloccom . You can top up in either or both directions.

They provide the cable so you just enjoy 100km/h of dual-charger charging (green with envy) with no accessories reqd. Note their opening times though.

4. raynewman

raynewman Member

Quite often caravan parks have three phase (and don't know it).

5. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Great advice above! Hunter Wetlands Centre both directions for a couple hours will charge both car and spirit. Really friendly people and wildlife welcome our environmental evangelism.

6. meloccom

Thanks Richard unfortunately the Hunter Wetlands Centre is only open from 9 to 4PM and I won't be leaving Sydney on Monday until about 4PM anyway.
    Haven't got a Juicebox yet. :oops:

What I have decided to do is stay at The Gateway Inn at Newcastle on Monday night and charge to 100% overnight.
    We will then have enough to go to Forster\Tuncurry and attend the funeral and return to Newcastle just before dinner.
    I have checked with the Hotel and they will let me charge on Tuesday night for $5. We'll go for a walk and have dinner in their Restaurant and head home about 8 after about 2 hours charge at 22KW, so should make it home fine.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)

7. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Sorry to hear of your friend's death, Meloccom.
    Hope the trip goes well- we need that Newcastle area Supercharger !!

8. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

#8 RichardMcN, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    PLEASE - Anybody finding working 3 phase in a caravan park or anywhere which the owner is happy for EV's to use, put it on Plugshare ! ! !

(unless there is a supercharger in the town of course)

9. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Strange they are charging $5 to use destination charger if you are dining at their restaurant?

10. raynewman

raynewman Member

I don't return to those who charge unless I have to - vote with your feet (wheels).

11. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

I generally try and make sure that places where I charge are not out of pocket too much for charging the car, especially If I get good service, and especially if it is a big charge. A full charge can cost up to $25 (80kWh x 31c).

If they say don't worry and they have a Flying Doctors donation box, I'll put $20 in that.

My feeling is that it should be a good business move and a positive experience for property owners to provide EV charging options.

12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Totally agree about financially supporting businesses which provide charging, in fact I'm doing some work in Newcastle next week and was thinking of staying there.
    Just surprised they are charging, I thought destination chargers were always free for patrons, even if you're just dining.

13. meloccom

Charging is free tonight as I am a guest of the hotel.
    They have mentioned a $5 fee for tomorrow when I will no longer be a guest but I intend to have dinner here and charge to give us enough range to return home after dinner, so I'm happy to pay the $5.
    I checked in at 9 PM and had mentioned that I needed to charge in the on line booking. Reception staff were fully aware of the destination chargers and provided me with the key and directions to the chargers without prompting.
    3 X 3 phase chargers although one is ICE'd by the hotel van. I plugged in and at 51% SOC and its estimating 41/2 hours to a full charge so I delayed it to 2 AM.

14. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise the chargers were locked, that's good to know.
    I checked the ones at the Executive Inn in New Lambton and those were just on the wall as you drive in.

15. meloccom

So it's morning now and we are all charged up. Just one snag when I checked at 8 AM; is that for some reason my car had read the max amperage rate of the charger at 6A. Raced down and un-plug and re-plug so it would read the charger as 32A. Then it ramped up to 117Km/h (rated) charge rate and finished at 9:25.
    Went to reception to confirm checkout and the charge for this evening and they waived the $5 cost and extended my checkout to 11.
    Turns out that we are the first Tesla and they want to take a picture for their advertising so "The Golden Pony" will be featured. It's like living with a movie star. :cool:
    So I recommend the Gateway Inn as a good place to stop on the way up or down the coast if you don't have all the extra charging equipment. It's a reasonably new hotel with well appointed rooms and a restaurant on the top floor. If that's not open then there is always the club next door.

16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Recommendation taken, I'll see if I can book in there next week.
    I envy your dual charger :)

17. meloccom

Long day yesterday,
    Left the hotel at 11 and got to Tuncurry at 1 PM with 58% charge and drove straight past Grate Lakes Nissan. Didn't have time to drop in and ask them if they are selling any Leafs but based on the number of 4X4 and utes on the lot I don't think its a focus. If someone is holidaying there you may want to call in and remind them that a Leaf would be a great vehicle for all the retirees in the area and to think about putting in a CHADEMO.
    We returned to Newcastle starting at 4:30 arriving back at the Gateway Inn at 6:30 and plugged in. Had a very nice meal at the Figtree Churrasco Bar & Grill on the top floor but just Al La Carte as we were still half full of Bowling club sandwiches.
    By 8 PM we were up to 60% already as the recharge rate had got up to 127 Km/h (Rated). I think it was so high because the voltage was reading 245 whilst at home it often sags well below 240.
    Returned home with 20% remaining by 10 PM proving this is a good way to do a trip like this if you're time constrained.

• Like x 1