Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for the first Superchargers to come to France, how to get with a Model S from Amsterdam to Super Devoluy?

One way would be via the Superchargers in Germany and Switzerland, but would there also be an alternative via Luxembourg and France?

Dear 20304,

Your way make the trip longer!
This best way is trough the Higway from Paris to Lyon where you can charge at Station BP on the highway near to Dijon and in Lyon at CNR.

I would recommend you look at chargemap.com to find the best route with chargers.

We all hope SC will be released BEFORE summer for France.

Cheers,
Jean

Hi 20304.
In France so far I have only charged for free in Ikea and at Renault Dealers (in Rouen and Cherbourg). Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there is no national system of charging cards like in NL. It's almost city by city. So it depends where you want to go, and I don't think you can buy remotely :-(

Unfortunately you're probably right Manuvince : no plan available nationwide with pre-paid card in France.

A/ Use chargemap.com
B/ Consider carrying a Type3c->Type 2 cable

As everyone here, I would recommend :
  1. IKEA : no cable needed ; free ; Model S using 22 kW of the 43 kW available (or 50 kW thru upcoming Chademo adapter :love: !!)
  2. Carrefour / Leclerc & other malls : cable frequently needed ; free ; 3,7 to 43kW ; card may be requested from information desk.
  3. Renault Dealers : cable needed ; mostly free ; 22 to 43 kW ; need to call/email in advance to arrange charging (expect various reactions) ; don't expect to charge outside opening hours.
  4. Nissan Dealers : same conditions as above, plus Chademo 50 kW.
  5. In Paris only : you may try to use Autolib. Model S not officially accepted, but proved to be compatible. Card available for €15, then €1 per hour spent on charge, street level parking fee included ; Cable needed ; 3,7 kW
  6. Any Shuko 220V @ 13A with UMC BUT be prepared to deal with improper wiring of plugs (phase and neutral swapped). Check this thread for mitigation.
  7. Blue adapter + UMC may be used to access to blue sockets widely available downtown of small cities where the marketplace takes place. Contact local City Hall before plugging in. (Same improper wiring may be encountered).

Other possibilities as per Chargemap.com.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all this clear information.

ü Chargemap.com: check
ü Type 2 to Type 2 cable: check
ü Type 3 to Type 2 cable: check (thanks tothe support of Z1970)
ü Blue adapter: check
ü Improper wiring: I will prepare.

For Ikea, are their chargers available 24/7?
For BP, do they use cards? And if so, where to apply? Whatconnectors are available at BP?

Thank you very much for all this clear information.
For Ikea, are their chargers available 24/7?
Someone has reported that they actually don't de-energize their charger, but access to parking may be closed outside opening hours. My understanding is that if you have managed to access the parking before closure, then you can leave your car charging overnight. Video experience of a pioneer (at 35m45s) :

Note : not all Ikea equipped with chargers. This should be checked in advance on Ikea.com.

For BP, do they use cards? And if so, where to apply? Whatconnectors are available at BP?
I can't tell but Tigerjeff — who gave you this information — can, for sure !
Or you could call them with the provided info on Chargemap.

Last edited by a moderator: