Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Hope BC (trip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figure it's a great story and might provide useful to others.

Yesterday I did some driving around town and then went to my inlaws to show them the car. While my wife was at the dentist I met with some clients and drove a bit more. Showed the inlaws how spirited the car is and then drove to the bank on the other side of town. Sped home, with a detour in the middle to pick something up, then raced to get my daughter from school. Got home, kicked everyone out, and then had to race from Abbotsford to Hope for a meeting I was going to be late for. I may have traveled at about 125km/hour (not sure cause well, hey, you never know with your speed right ;) ). Get to Hope BC with 30 km left on the car. (oh it was 5 degrees Celsius during the drive). Pull up to the Sun Country charger across the road from the Blue Moose Coffee shop and connect to a full 70Amps.

As I'm in my meeting for an hour I checked on the car and see it's getting 70km/hour charge. After my meeting I had to catch-up on a bit of work and so stuck around for another hour responding to emails etc. By the time I left I had about 200 km range available on the car. I needed to be at another meeting on the far side of Abbotsford so sped home with the heat blasting (now 0 outside) made it to my other meeting, then raced home. Mileage at the end. 100km's on the battery still.

Fantastic. Really the car did the trip really really well and if there were 70Amp chargers more often you would never have to be concerned about range and this is with a 60Kw car - I can only imagine in a 80!

Really impressed and it was no compromise. PS. I made sure to tell the owner of the coffee shop that I was in town as a direct result of the charger. I really think we need to be intentional about encouraging these owners and cities to keep the chargers. I may even send a card to the City of Hope expressing my gratitude. It opens up the central part of BC as a direct result of this station and the one on the other side of the mountains!

Oh, and I'm getting flack here (nice pic of the car too): https://www.facebook.com/hopebcca so if you wanna leave a comment please do!

That's awesome nleggatt! Glad to see that the 60 is so versatile and performed so well locally (that is what I am getting as well). I am sure I will use that charger in Hope sometime this summer, but I don't have my wheels just yet.

Out of curiosity, how many km range is per standard charge. Have you done it for a range charge yet?

@morristhecat, the standard range is about 300-306km. On the hwy at hwy speeds I've got my projected up to 400km (projected over 25km). It's kinda fun to try to get the best range. In town you really notice the range drop, but I have yet to be scared. Just remember you can charge at any Nissan Dealership and that might give you some wiggle room.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figure it's a great story and might provide useful to others.

Yesterday I did some driving around town and then went to my inlaws to show them the car. While my wife was at the dentist I met with some clients and drove a bit more. Showed the inlaws how spirited the car is and then drove to the bank on the other side of town. Sped home, with a detour in the middle to pick something up, then raced to get my daughter from school. Got home, kicked everyone out, and then had to race from Abbotsford to Hope for a meeting I was going to be late for. I may have traveled at about 125km/hour (not sure cause well, hey, you never know with your speed right ;) ). Get to Hope BC with 30 km left on the car. (oh it was 5 degrees Celsius during the drive). Pull up to the Sun Country charger across the road from the Blue Moose Coffee shop and connect to a full 70Amps.

As I'm in my meeting for an hour I checked on the car and see it's getting 70km/hour charge. After my meeting I had to catch-up on a bit of work and so stuck around for another hour responding to emails etc. By the time I left I had about 200 km range available on the car. I needed to be at another meeting on the far side of Abbotsford so sped home with the heat blasting (now 0 outside) made it to my other meeting, then raced home. Mileage at the end. 100km's on the battery still.

Fantastic. Really the car did the trip really really well and if there were 70Amp chargers more often you would never have to be concerned about range and this is with a 60Kw car - I can only imagine in a 80!

Really impressed and it was no compromise. PS. I made sure to tell the owner of the coffee shop that I was in town as a direct result of the charger. I really think we need to be intentional about encouraging these owners and cities to keep the chargers. I may even send a card to the City of Hope expressing my gratitude. It opens up the central part of BC as a direct result of this station and the one on the other side of the mountains!

I did something similar this week. I charged for an hour an 20 minutes in the middle of my traveling at a coffee shop that has a 70amp Sun Country charger. That was an amazing experience seeing my car charge at 57-58 km/h. Good reason to get the twin chargers in Canada.

We're very lucky Sun Country installed those high capacity chargers. Thank you Kent and the team!

sch.PNG