TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging in Kennebunk, Maine

Discussion in 'New England' started by steilkurve, Jun 22, 2015.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

#1 steilkurve, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Hello all. Want to spend some time in Kennebunk, Maine in August. With the new SuperCharger in West Lebanon, I should be fine getting from Montreal to Kennebunk (though it may be a tad tight). However, once I get there, I was wondering where to charge. The Hidden Pond where we'd like to stay doesn't have charging. There are a few resorts that do, but they are not to our liking. Anyone knows what the public charging infrastructure is like. Plugshare isn't showing me a lot. Thanks.

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Kennebunk has two public chargers right downtown, one at the chamber of commerce and the other at the municipal utility. They're slow but reliable.

Another option is to come up to Portland for a day-trip; perfect rainy-day outing. The Fore St Garage has a 20 kW J1772 free to use with paid parking.

3. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks for this. The ones right in town are level2s?

Is the one at the public utility the solar powered one? Reliable?

4. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

The Nonantum Inn also has dual HPWC's for guests.
    You could plead ignorance?

5. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Oh I very well know they do but we don't want to stay there but instead Hidden Pond.

What I'll plead ignorance on is whether or not they'd accept non guest charging. Though I'd suspect not?

6. Robert.Boston

Most places will let restaurant patrons use the HPWC, so perhaps go there for lunch or dinner?

- - - Updated - - -

They are NOT solar powered, but they are level 2. Kinda -- only 20A, so you're getting only about 4 kW. The Fore St Garage has solar panels (though it still relies on some grid power).

7. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks. I'll enquire about using the HPWC while eating at Nonamtum.

8. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

So I contacted Nonamtum. They will allow non patrons to charge for $20. If you stay or eat there, the fee is waved.

9. Grayhawk

Grayhawk Member

That's excellent news - I am going to Kennebunkport for a couple of weeks in late July and having that as an option is going to make life much easier.

10. cfava

cfava Member

Kennebunk Light and Power District station:

Someday I wished they would upgrade to the Clipper Creek (HCS-60) 48amp EV Charging unit. When visiting family in Kennebunk, I need to leave my car at the station all day to charge.
    Heck, I'll help pay for the upgrade, the run to the electrical box is short.

11. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I'm frankly surprised there isn't more destination charging in Maine. Such a tourist destination for folks from places where EVs are popular.

12. Robert.Boston

There's low EV awareness in Maine. There aren't many EVs registered in Maine, so business owners likely don't think about adding charging. I'd encourage anyone who vacations in Maine and drives an EV to call or write their preferred hotels, ski areas, etc. to request destination charging.

13. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I agree. I'll mention it to Hidden Pond where I'm staying. Being an upscale place, they are the perfect candidate for Tesla destination charging.

14. TDR32

TDR32 Member

Robert,
    There is a solar canopy over the utilities charger. I believe they even added a sign that talks about charging from the sun.

To the OP I drive by these chargers almost daily. If I had a charger at my house I wouldn't you charger there. Hopefully when the Model 3 is released.

15. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I emailed Hidden Pond to ask about plugging into 110 outlets as the resort is composed of individual cottages with their parking spot and exterior outlets. They replied these outlets wouldn't be able to charge my car? Is that not odd. How could they not?

16. tes-s

tes-s Member

The outlets are probably 120v. There may be limited power to each cottage, and the outside outlets could be on a 15amp circuit with other outlets and/or lights, so charging the car at 12amps would trip the breaker.

You could dial down the current, but the amount of charge you will get is pretty minimal.

A better approach for them might be a single higher-power charging location shared for all guests - presumably close to more robust electrical infrastructure.

17. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Could be though these cottages have full fledge gourmet kitchens, AC, etc. I doubt it's limited in power.

Either way, I clarified and the front desk person didn't seem to realize I could charge on a regular outlet, and is now saying I could do it provided the cable is long enough. I could just bring an extension I guess.

Anyone got experience with their Model S at Hidden Pond?

18. linkster

linkster Member

Yup. I have pitched both (in person) the Samoset in Rockport and the Harborside Hotel & Spa in Bar Harbor along with a follow-up e-mail with zero results. I may cancel my annual stay at Harborside this year as I am getting pissed off.:cursing:

19. cfava

cfava Member

I'm taking the family to the Samoset in mid-July; I'll pitch again. I hoping the more people complain they will reconsider. I'll bring the Destination Charging material as well.

20. linkster

linkster Member

Agree, the more inquiries, the better.
    Otherwise, I am sending "The Big Gun" (mod on this thread) to pay them a visit and they
    don't want Robert to say "EYELL BE BACK"! :mad: