Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Maine (Bar Harbor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

Planning a trip in a couple of weeks from Ohio to Maine and planning on driving it instead of dealing with all of the airline BS that's going on right now. Looking at where we're going to be staying (Bar Harbor) I wanted to check and see if any locals or people that travel there have any non-tesla charging partner recommendations.

I've looked ahead and there is a supercharger near Bar Harbor, but we'll be driving to various places around the state and several without a nearby supercharger. So mainly, if someone can make some recommendations for a secondary charging network/vendor that would be great.

For Bar Harbor, charge up while you stock up on groceries in Ellsworth. For a Model 3 that’s enough for driving around the island. A destination charger where you are staying or charging at the Abbe Museum while walking around downtown can alleviate any concerns. You can charge while visiting the Seal Cove Car Museum on the west side of the island. Unless you are driving into the northern mountains the Supercharger network is adequate now. It will get better for staying on Rt 1 in another year.

Don’t feel shy about reaching out to private chargers on PlugShare or call ahead to borrow a destination charger—never had a problem. Some on-island destination chargers have had problems with people using without asking.

Do not count on the EVgo charger in Brunswick; never worked for me.

Supercharger rate in Maine is $0.44/kWh. There is a free Chademo charger in South Portland and a few paid Chargepoint locations but now with more Superchargers I find we don’t need them anymore.
So to answer the original question, a ChargePoint RFD card would be a good thing to have for paid J charging options.

• Helpful
Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer

So to answer the original question, a ChargePoint RFD card would be a good thing to have for paid J charging options.
If you make a ChargePoint account you get 1 RFID card free. I can't remember whether you have to order the card, or they automatically send you one.
They don't start taking money until you charge. Then they'll ensure a minimum $10 balance, adding amounts in chunks of $10.

When we were in Bar Harbor last summer, we stayed at The Acadia Hotel. They have 3 destination chargers and a really good breakfast (fresh made omelets). And it's walking distance to the whole town, and it's next the the Island Explorer bus stop. The hotel has free bikes available, which we took on the bus to Acadia National Park to ride some of the carriage roads.

Reactions: kayak1