TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging in Moab, Utah?

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by BryanW, Apr 11, 2013.

1. BryanW

BryanW R#664, Model S#1526

Has anyone successfully charged their Model S or Roadster using anything more than a standard wall outlet in Moab, Utah?

I've called the KOA RV park, as well as the other large RV park in Moab, and they claim they do not have an outlet for charging an EV, and that they do not have a NEMA 14-50 outlet for RV's or EV's to charge with. Both parks were pretty terse and neither wanted anything to do with an EV charging, even willing to pay for the spot for the night. :mad: very frustrating...

Plugshare doesn't have anything listed for Moab...

Has anyone had any success in Moab?

Thanks,

Bryan

2. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

Be sure you just ask for a "50 amp" with RV parks - others have reported that "NEMA 14-50" just confuses many RV parks.

Campgrounds in Utah with 50 Amp Sites shows 8 RV parks that claim 50 amp service near there.

3. MikeL

MikeL some guy

No hard info for you, maybe just a lead- try one of the bike shops downtown or the brewery, Eddie McStiffs. Not saying they have the plug, but one among them might want to help (unlike the KOA, no surprise). Also there is a big, well maintained tourist center/rest stop/museum right on Main Street, a bug in their ear might benefit us all, in time. ML

4. Panoz

Panoz Member

I'm sure this is old news, the Moab SC is open.
    MoabSC.jpg

5. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Since Jan 21, 2014 according to supercharge.info. That is ancient history in terms of Superchargers.

6. Barry

Barry Member

Speaking of Moab, I was looking at booking a night at the Best Western there for a trip next month. I see there are BWs about 2 blocks apart from each other, Canyonlands and Greenwell. One is twice the price of the other. Anyone know why?

7. Panoz

Panoz Member

@Barry, Canyonlands hosts the Tesla Superchargers in its parking lot. It's probably the nicest hotel in Moab that I've seen (I'm in Moab now). If you want the convenience of staying in the hotel with a supercharger in the parking lot, pick Canyonlands. I'm in the Holiday Inn Express about 1-2 miles from the Moab SC and it's perfectly fine.

8. Barry

Barry Member

Thanks Panoz. Be interested in hearing details of your trip, if you don't mind. Feel free to PM me, if you prefer.

I'll be making a trip to Vegas next month, with overnight stops in Moab and Zion to do some hiking in the NPs. Already booked the Zion stay at the Lodge in the park (they have an EV charger there.) On the way back, will make one overnight stop in Moab. This will be my biggest trip in the Tesla.

9. Panoz

Panoz Member

Pshaw on your "ancient history". It is an archaeological find of some significance, and I shall endeavor to find more.