Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in NC Mountains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've wondered if I should go ahead and invest in a NEMA 14-50 plug for my Tesla UMC. I hear RV parks are a great resource for charging in remote areas, too, and I think that is their standard.

Unfortunately, the extended family is already books at a different inn, but I may contact him to see if I can pay him for charging in an emergency. I do a lot of hiking in the mountains, and having an extra "last chance gas station" for my electric car would be nice.
Yes, the 14:50 plug should still come with the charger. it's always the go to while traveling. A couple of apps to keep handy is RV Parky and ParkAdvisor.
Other things to keep in mind is keep the tires properly inflated. Run a little higher if you are loaded down but obviously stay in specs.
Speed really affects the range on the MY.

Awesome! Glad you were able to make use of a 120V outlet.

Just curious: why not start out the trip at 100%? I get the feeling that people are afraid to charge to 100% at all. As long as you don't let the car sit at 100% for a long period of time (like more than a day at a time), there shouldn't be an issue. It's there for you to use for this type of occasion.

When I'm on a trip (and the night before I leave) I set my charge limit to 100% and leave it there for the entire trip. At my in-laws (where the car is usually just parked for the entire week) I do try to anticipate how much charge I'll get the last night and then unplug the car when I get up to that amount so that I am topping off just in time for the return trip. I did get caught out by this this past March as it was below freezing up there and I learned that the 120V charging was not quite enough to keep up with the cold temps and the battery heater and I didn't actually get any meaningful charge that last night!
We used to charge our MS75D to 100% before all road trips but that was when SC were more sparse, charging rates were slower and the range on the 75D was less too.

Since going to the M3SR+ we NEVER charge to 100% and we def. will not now with the LR MY there is just no need. Charging rate is super fast, SC are so frequent that we are often skipping at least 1 between each charge. So like @jsight mentioned, unless we could get a round trip out of 100% I don't see any need to charge to 100% for a road trip.

Also, one other note to remember that is often forgotten. The closer to 0% the battery is when you stop at the SC to charge the faster the charge rate. So charging to 90% and going to a SC with ~10% vs ~20% means you'll charge that much faster to the SoC that you need to reach the next SC stop

Reactions: jsight
We used to charge our MS75D to 100% before all road trips but that was when SC were more sparse, charging rates were slower and the range on the 75D was less too.

Since going to the M3SR+ we NEVER charge to 100% and we def. will not now with the LR MY there is just no need. Charging rate is super fast, SC are so frequent that we are often skipping at least 1 between each charge. So like @jsight mentioned, unless we could get a round trip out of 100% I don't see any need to charge to 100% for a road trip.

Also, one other note to remember that is often forgotten. The closer to 0% the battery is when you stop at the SC to charge the faster the charge rate. So charging to 90% and going to a SC with ~10% vs ~20% means you'll charge that much faster to the SoC that you need to reach the next SC stop
Never is a long time. We use abetterrouteplanner.com and even for an M3LR it can mean the difference for skipping a stop. In my case, trying to make the Cookeville station, if I’m short on charge, my choices are currently Chattanooga (ugh) or a slow 80->90% charge in Ackowrth. 100% FTW.