Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in New Haven CT (for trips between Boston and NYC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
Please point me where else I should add this information; thought I'd share this based on what I learned for the trip from my home to NYC. Tesla told me there was a 6-50 (220/50) plug in the garage of the Omni hotel. Given this was my first trip, I wanted to confirm it was still there and functioning before I did anything. Unfortunately, I went through a few people who didn't know and ended up settling for someone who said they saw what looked like a plug for a stove and knew that Roadsters had charged there before. I wanted to share the details of where this thing is ...

Pull into the garage (Omni Hotel in New Haven -- Temple St.). It's a pretty obvious garage and pretty easy to get to from the highway.

After taking your parking ticket, do NOT follow the directions for general parking. Take your first right and make your way to the reserved employee parking (second right -- before the garage exit; the first right would be the exit of the reserved parking area). Back into the #7 spot and hook up to the 6-50. Draw the full 40 amps. You may want to introduce yourself to the staff there (there's an employee booth right next to this area) -- they like seeing the car and it's probably a good idea that they know you're there :)
Here's a couple pictures:

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

You can head upstairs to the hotel and eat/rest/stretch at the two places in the hotel or make your way outside for more choices. I ate at the Cask Republic "in" (attached to) the hotel.

I didn't make a note of the rates, and it may have varied by weekday/weekend. On the way down, I paid $12 for ~1.5 hours and on the way up, I paid $9 for the same.

There's a Juice bar there (J1772, unknown amperage) now; and they're looking to grow the charging presence here. They own a Tesla HPC but haven't installed it yet (theoretically a couple weeks away).

You can also stay at Foxwoods and use their NEMA 14-50 outlet that the staff uses for emergency vehicles (and Kenny Roger's RV, I suppose, too.)
I was the first, and maybe only one, to use it for that purpose last summer, but the transportation group (that's who you ask for when planning this) was very helpful.
However, factoring in how much I lost at the blackjack tables, it was the most expensive electricity I ever bought, but the location was good. :)

Of course an HPC anywhere practical would be a better alternative. Just today, I asked Mike Sexton in the NY office to send me a list of all HPCs available on the East Coast. Still waiting to hear...
P.S. If you come to the NJ shore, feel free to send me a PM to use my HPC...

The Omni hotel has a working Tesla connector HPC. Parking is free at the Omni for Tesla owners and so is the juice. Just be sure to be assertive with the garage attendants since they are pretty well brain dead form the exhaust fumes of the "other" cars. Or you can use my HPC in nearby Milford but my factory is in the middle of nowhere - at least at the Oni you can hang at one of our many fabulous New Haven restaurants, or take in a movie at the Criterion Cinema down the block.

The Omni hotel has a working Tesla connector HPC. Parking is free at the Omni for Tesla owners and so is the juice. Just be sure to be assertive with the garage attendants since they are pretty well brain dead form the exhaust fumes of the "other" cars. Or you can use my HPC in nearby Milford but my factory is in the middle of nowhere - at least at the Oni you can hang at one of our many fabulous New Haven restaurants, or take in a movie at the Criterion Cinema down the block.
hjr can you confirm this information about free parking for Tesla owners at the Omni. I checked with 3 different people there and all of them said the juice is free but you have to pay for the parking.

It's much nicer now! New HavenOmni Hotel, "Juice Bar" Parking, free charge, well lit!

Easy to get to from the 91/95, just adjacent to the Yale campus, with art museums, great restaurants, bars, a lovely hotel right the (yes, the Omni) , "Occupy New Haven" in the park, and even a multi-screen movie theatre-- a great place to spend 2 hours, or a day! We made friends with some Yale surgeons on Friday and came back on Sunday for pizza and a tour of the beautiful new Yale Cancer Center!

155 Temple St, New Haven, under the Omni Hotel.

Incompatible Browser | Facebook
Happy Anne in Omni.jpg

See note from Green Garage! Thak them, and ask for more Juice Bars like this one!

Dear Anne,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Chapel Square Garage under the Omni Hotel in New Haven. The Juice Bar was created out of our development of the LEED Gold off-airport site Canopy Airport Parking (Denver International Airport (DIA) | Canopy Airport Parking | Open, Covered, Valet ), which is powered by Solar & Wind and hetated by Geothermal. We are very committed to forward thinking sustainable technologies.

We look forward to you visiting us again.

Warmest Regards

Dave

David K. Schmid
CEO

Green Garage Associates
750 Main Street, Mezzanine Level
Hartford, CT 06103
[email protected]

860.308.2054 x306
866.273.5837 fax
860.324.5774 cell

Green Garage Associates
Free Juice Bar Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Green Garage Lighting

Update from ProPark-- Let Dave know where you think they should put these Tesla chargers!

New Haven is great for NY to Boston..... maybe one in the middle of NY to Washington? In Philadelphia? Or on 95 in Delaware?

We are reaching out to Tesla to get more charging units. They donated this one to the Hotel here in New Haven & Propark put in the capital needed to upgrade the Juice Bar Voltage. We have about 20 Juice Bars so far at Propark locations and this number is starting to go through hockey stick growth. We have a large pod of these in the San Francisco Bay Area. We think that if you are paying for parking, you should charge for free!!

We have a Juice Bar in NYC at 515 W. 59th Street , but not with a Tesla Unit…let me investigate getting one there and in Cambridge where we have another unit in the NE Corridor…

Stay tuned & thanks for the great feedback…

Dave

David K. Schmid
CEO

Green Garage Associates
750 Main Street, Mezzanine Level
Hartford, CT 06103
[email protected]

860.308.2054 x306
866.273.5837 fax
860.324.5774 cell

Green Garage Associates
Free Juice Bar Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Green Garage Lighting

Nice! I love to see pics as that somehow solidifies the existence of the HPC :smile:

Would it make sense to encourage Dave @ GGA to install 70A J1772 stations instead of HPCs? I know that in about 9 months, these HPC's may not be useful to me (Model S -- unless they provide an adapter, which I'd rather avoid and use the J1772 adapter).

New Haven Charging

If the Omni Hotel charger is on the fritz again you can feel free to use my charger at my factory. We are right off I-95 in Milford, CT. I have an HPC with Tesla Roadster connector, full 70a 240v ... If you email me I will give you my cell umber to call if you are stuck short (bad pun for us EV owners).

I would like to get a full list on the web of all public and private HPC from NY to Boston, with Roadster plugs or others.

hjr,
I'll be coming through on my way from Boston to NYC in a couple of weeks with my Roadster. It's great that you have offered your charger in case of trouble at the Omni! Could you give us more info on how to find your location?

Thanks,
Rob