Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in or near Charleston, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm heading to a wedding in Charleston, WV, and along the way, the closest supercharger is Wytheville, VA. That's 128 miles from Charleston, and my 85's range is just about 260. Add in the mountains, and you can see how I need to find a way to charge once I'm in Charleston.

Tesla shows no destination chargers there, and Chargepoint only has one station noted (at a McDonald's).

Does anyone have experience charging in or near Charleston, WV, or would you recommend any other ways to find stations there?

Thanks!

Sign up or in to plugshare. There are 4-5 Tesla owners who have HPWCs at their houses. It will show you all the contact info when you sign in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 7.07.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 7.07.05 PM.png
    254.9 KB · Views: 63
PlugShare.com is my favorite non-Tesla resource for finding charging. It's mostly crowdsourced data but has generally been pretty accurate for me. In addition to the McDonald's, it shows a few other locations, including a hotel and a couple car dealerships, as well as other Model S owners who list their personal plugs.

If you're there for a couple days, or even just overnight, also consider that a plain old 120V wall outlet could give you the boost you need to get back to Wytheville. (Bring your UMC and adapters of course!) If you're staying with a friend or family, or even at a hotel, just call ahead and ask if you can plug in your car overnight; let them know that any ordinary power outlet should be sufficient. And if you're successful with an unlisted hotel, please consider adding it to PlugShare and telling them about Tesla's Destination Charging program.

Welcome to TMC, good luck on your trip, and please let us know how it works out!

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
An update for anyone who is thinking about a trip to Charleston, WV.

First off, the Wytheville, VA supercharger worked well for us in both directions. It was a bit of a scare, since they were working on the power lines when we got there, and nothing happened when we plugged in. They came over and told us it would be 15 minutes until they finished the work, and it was. The person in charge of the work said "I never thought I'd see anyone use these things! I never knew why they put them here." Got a laugh out of that.

Charleston, WV was tough, though. Made it from Wytheville to Charleston with 40% remaining, and most of that trip was downhill. So I HAD to charge, and the hotel's 3 miles/hr wasn't enough given the in-town trips we had to make. I went to the McDonalds shown in most charger maps, and it is with the Blink charging network. I didn't buy a card in advance, thinking that I could just enter the code on the charger screen... and the touch screen was broken. SO. After some stressful time waiting for a call back from technical support, they could activate it remotely, and I charged for 8 hours and was good. I don't know what I would have done if we couldn't have gotten that charger to work. Perhaps the GMC dealer would have let me use (or pay to use) their level 2 charger, but I didn't quite get to the point of asking. My advice if you make the trip is to sign up and get a Blink RFID card in advance.

Despite the stressful 4 hours or so, the trip was a success. I will say that I learned one thing, though: When entering a route via the Tesla maps, the trip consumption graph was SHOCKINGLY accurate. If it said I'd make it somewhere with 40% left, that's exactly how much I had left. It tooks hills and my three-year-old battery into account. I averaged 4mph over the speed limit.

Hope this helps anyone who stumbles upon this thread and hopes to make the same trip!

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
Hey MasonFox, glad things worked out for you.

I'm still wondering what's stopping Charleston, WV from getting its supercharger. Is it city council? No agreed location? A lobby against it? I've tried to find some specifics online, but I haven't been too successful. Anyone know anything concrete as of Sept. 2nd, 2016?