Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Phoenix AZ (Chandler AZ) for Arcade Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My arcade friend offered to let me stay at his parents house if we go to Phoenix Arizona to try clean out the arcades. But he prefers me to drive because its cheaper for me and I got autopilot, and he usually compensates me for driving. I drive Tesla Model 3 longe range w/ aero wheel.

His parents live in Chandler AZ and there is no supercharger nearby. The nearest supercharger is the East Camelback Rd & 72w. I hope I can try charge during off peak hours too. It's 26 miles away. I have not done this route yet, but the ABRP says its 10% each time. So I need to hope I have 40% or more anytime we end our commute and go back to his parents house in Chandler AZ.

I want to try charge at the home with a wall outlet at the parents house. But I don't know if its possible and don't wanna count on it. I am hoping there is a way to fast charge in Chandler area (like supercharger). Otherwise, we will always have to go outta our way or plan our route around that Tesla Supercharger at East Camelback Road. Which is 10% energy consumed each way & 26 miles.

This map is approximately where his parents live (Peter Piper Pizza) & the supercharger (East Camelback Rd). It's not really ideal to always have to do this, so I'm hoping our route will pass by this spot or other ones. And what are my options to charge a Tesla in Chandler AZ area where there are no Tesla supercharger? Arizona really sucks and is a challenge for a Tesla road trip. Hope there are options to charge in Chandler in a reasonable time.

1638091473889.png

Last edited:
My arcade friend offered to let me stay at his parents house if we go to Phoenix Arizona to try clean out the arcades. But he prefers me to drive because its cheaper for me and I got autopilot, and he usually compensates me for driving. I drive Tesla Model 3 longe range w/ aero wheel.

His parents live in Chandler AZ and there is no supercharger nearby. The nearest supercharger is the East Camelback Rd & 72w. I hope I can try charge during off peak hours too. It's 26 miles away. I have not done this route yet, but the ABRP says its 10% each time. So I need to hope I have 40% or more anytime we end our commute and go back to his parents house in Chandler AZ.

I want to try charge at the home with a wall outlet at the parents house. But I don't know if its possible and don't wanna count on it. I am hoping there is a way to fast charge in Chandler area (like supercharger). Otherwise, we will always have to go outta our way or plan our route around that Tesla Supercharger at East Camelback Road. Which is 10% energy consumed each way & 26 miles.

This map is approximately where his parents live (Peter Piper Pizza) & the supercharger (East Camelback Rd). It's not really ideal to always have to do this, so I'm hoping our route will pass by this spot or other ones. And what are my options to charge a Tesla in Chandler AZ area where there are no Tesla supercharger? Arizona really sucks and is a challenge for a Tesla road trip. Hope there are options to charge in Chandler in a reasonable time.

View attachment 738260
Just charge to near full on the way in, and that should last you quite some time. If you are just driving around Chandler or even just staying in the PHX area, you won't burn too much energy. And if you make a longer trip, you will pass by a supercharger so you can stop then. Unless you're planning on staying at your friend's parents house for months, this should be fine.

Also, Plugshare is your friend. Have a look there.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I want to try charge at the home with a wall outlet at the parents house. But I don't know if its possible and don't wanna count on it.
I wouldn't discount this too quickly, since you know you will be overnighting there. House setups can be very different, though. If it's curbside parking out in the street, on the other side of a public sidewalk, then that probably wouldn't work. But if they have a driveway you can park on near the house, then I would say yes, you probably could get a shortish thick wire extension cord (I would recommend 12 gauge) from the house/garage to the car that could do very well for overnight charging. Maybe ask what the parking setup is like there.

If you can't do charging at the house, then yes, definitely check Plugshare to see if there's something within a few blocks.

I wouldn't discount this too quickly, since you know you will be overnighting there. House setups can be very different, though. If it's curbside parking out in the street, on the other side of a public sidewalk, then that probably wouldn't work. But if they have a driveway you can park on near the house, then I would say yes, you probably could get a shortish thick wire extension cord (I would recommend 12 gauge) from the house/garage to the car that could do very well for overnight charging. Maybe ask what the parking setup is like there.

If you can't do charging at the house, then yes, definitely check Plugshare to see if there's something within a few blocks.

My friend's only concern is probably the cost (his parents concern). I assume there will be an outlet in the garage or outside somewhere near the driveway. Plus my friend will benefit from it too, since I'll be the one agreeing to drive, but I need to get some charge if staying overnight, even if its not a full charge. It will only be for one weekend. Like arrive Friday, Leave Sunday.

If its the cost, then how do I figure out how much it is? Plus outlet charging is gonna be slow, probably won't even take much charge. I'm fine stopping by supercharger, I just hope my friend knows the commute and we need to work our route along the only 3 supercharging options within the PHX area. But I know the closest supercharger requires 10% each way to make it there, so hopefully I can stop there at the end of our commute before heading home. I'll likely spend the time to get the full charge so I'll have about 80-90% if we head to his house.

I've done it before by myself. It wasn't that bad, but it was only once. The only challenge is venturing out to Mesa AZ area as there are no supercharging in the area. But anytime I supercharge I just spend the time get the full charge, it will only be around 1 hr which isn't a big deal.

I'm also hoping one of these arcades will have EV charging. I saw many chargepoint that are free in the area.

Last edited:
My friend's only concern is probably the cost (his parents concern). I assume there will be an outlet in the garage or outside somewhere near the driveway. Plus my friend will benefit from it too, since I'll be the one agreeing to drive, but I need to get some charge if staying overnight, even if its not a full charge. It will only be for one weekend. Like arrive Friday, Leave Sunday.

If its the cost, then how do I figure out how much it is?
Yeah, this stuff is very unknown for people who aren't familiar with it and just have some natural worry about the unknown. Fortunately, this is very easy to calculate.
A regular wall outlet like that will be providing 120V at 12 amps. Multiply those, and it's 1.44 kilowatts power level. Per each hour, that will be 1.44 kWh, which is the units that are metered on people's electric bill. So let's say 10 hours overnight to make the math easy, and that's 14.4 kWh. I don't know what the electricity rates are in the Phoenix area, but maybe 15 cents per each kWh? So for each 10 hour overnight, multiply those, and it's $2.16. So if you're going to be there a few nights, maybe offer them $10 to cover that.

And rough ballpark is that the 14 kWh of energy overnight will be able to add somewhere around 50 rated miles on the car. Not huge, but convenient and worth it.

Be sure to look at your options on PlugShare too, Here are all the free Tesla chargers in that area (non-supercharger). A lot at hotels but also at shopping areas, gov't spaces. Might find some near the arcades you are going to or close to the parents house, etc. Have fun and good luck.

chandler.PNG

Yeah, this stuff is very unknown for people who aren't familiar with it and just have some natural worry about the unknown. Fortunately, this is very easy to calculate.
A regular wall outlet like that will be providing 120V at 12 amps. Multiply those, and it's 1.44 kilowatts power level. Per each hour, that will be 1.44 kWh, which is the units that are metered on people's electric bill. So let's say 10 hours overnight to make the math easy, and that's 14.4 kWh. I don't know what the electricity rates are in the Phoenix area, but maybe 15 cents per each kWh? So for each 10 hour overnight, multiply those, and it's $2.16. So if you're going to be there a few nights, maybe offer them $10 to cover that.

And rough ballpark is that the 14 kWh of energy overnight will be able to add somewhere around 50 rated miles on the car. Not huge, but convenient and worth it.
I live in the SE valley and have Salt River Project for my electricity service. In the winter (Nov-Apr) my rates range from 7.4 cents/kWh (off peak) to around 10 cents/kWh (on peak). There are several time of day/flex plans and the vary slightly, but in the winter time the costs are very cheap. So, 15 cents is a very conservative estimate this time of year. Weekends and overnights are off peak hours.

Reactions: pilotSteve